Hitch Rack for a Wrangler- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hitch Rack for a Wrangler

Hi all!

I hope someone out there can help me. I'm looking at hitch mounted bike carriers, specifically the Yakima HookUp, the Thule T2, or the Saris equivalent. I'm concerned about spare tire clearance issues, since this style rack seems to hold the bikes very close to the rear bumper. Anyone else bump into a similar issue? I generally transport two bikes and, to complicate things a bit, I have a 33 x 12.50 spare...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Adobo Lover
    [I remember a thread concerning all these type of racks stating the actually hitch to rack length so you can get an idea of how much clearance you will need. Unfortunately, I don't remember which one has the most clearance. I have a small 29 inch tire on the rear and my pedal sits up against the tire cover with my Hookup.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    National Athletic Trainers' Association, www.nata.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Hookup Rocks !!!!!!!!

I have one on my saturn sl2 and my pedals have marked up my back bumper pretty good. Otherwise its a super solid and easy to use rack !!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's not a wranger, I just wanted to share some hookup love.

I hope that it works out for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    good choice
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have the Thule on my wrangler, but have a standard size spare tire. You can slide the mounts fore and aft of the support bar to customize the mount. I would recomment trying one on for size before you buy. I took two bikes on a 2500 mile trip without incident (other than someone trying to steal my bikes). I definitely give the rack two thumbs up.

peace

mtbr member

Good job!

Check out Gripsport bike carriers, they hold up to 70 kilos of bikes. but they fit on a haymen Reece tow bars system with a tongue, ball

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a 99 wrangler with a conventional spare. I use a sarris hitch mount and there is plenty of clearance. My hitch is a 1&1/4in receiver. Sometimes I need a 2 in and bought an extender from uhaul that slides into the 1&1/4in and has a 2in. end on it. It adds about 4-5 inches to the receiver and most of the time i just leave it in and attach the rack to the 2in. extender. So if you have a huge spare maybe a hitch extender could help everything work together.
    John
    A poor man can only afford the best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The T2 can slide fore after and side to side, hook up does not.

SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Take a look at:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/92034_11_07.htm

I just ordered this one a few days ago for my Wrangler. It hasn't arrived yet, so I can't give you a first hand opinion on it quite yet. (Quadratec is usually very good at delivering items quickly, I placed my order 2 business days ago...)

I did see this same rack on the back of another jeep and I noticed that the rack extended pretty far past the back bumber -- there didnt seem to be any issue with the spare tire and the rack set up.

Best of all, it's only $99 + shipping. My shipping cost, to Delaware, was about $17. Total cost: $116.

Either you rode today, or you didn't.

mtbr member

setup on my XJ

i had the same dilemma on my Cherokee, i have an oversize spare in back, but i also wanted to be able to use my tow bar at the same time as my bike rack. so i had a custom extended tow bar made, and bought a Swagman rack that slips onto the tow bar and clamps in place. then i picked up the Yakima top tube adapter for my FS bike and the combo works great. there is a lock on the rack itself, and i installed a locking towbar pin so im fairly comfortable just leaving it on most of the time...

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had somewhat of the same problem mounting a rack on my Hummer (very large spare). I don't really like the receiver style hitches and went instead with a Thule Spare-Me rack. Mounts to the spare tire with a plate behind the spare. When I want to put the rack on, it goes on with just one hand tightened bolt that has a key lock on it. Very stable and secure. Doesn't rattle or shake as much as the receiver style mounts and leaves the receiver free.

The Rowdy Scotsman
    Here's my Jeep Bike Rack Solution I will be building.
    If you want to find out more go to this thread https://forums.mtbr.com/cars-bike-racks/mountain-bike-jeep-rack-options-350884.html and there's a link to the guy who makes the Tire Carrier. I'll be modifying his Tire Carrier once I get it to hold one bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0