Hitch rack for a Subaru STi...1up or NSR-2?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hitch rack for a Subaru STi...1up or NSR-2?

I just finally had a Curt hitch installed on my '11 STi, and I'm debating on either getting the 1up USA rack (http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm) or the North Shore Racks NSR-2 (http://northshoreracks.com/photo%20c...ustomer27.html)

What hitch racks are you guys running on Subaru STi/WRX's? Since the hitch is only 1 1/4" it limits the options, but these two seem pretty compelling.

I'm worried the 1up rack might be too close to the back of my car, but there is no way to verify this without trying it. Also, their price is very high and their ugly website really burns my eyes (the product reviews really well though.)

The NSR-2 looks to work pretty well, but that long silver bar looks to me like it is going to hit really hard out of every steep parking lot transition. I also don't think the NSR-2 will do road bikes, but that isn't a total deal killer for me (I'm a 99.9% mountain biker.)

thanks,
    0xf00d

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have the Raxter Tarsus on my GTI, it seems to work great - http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=8

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
    I have the Raxter Tarsus on my GTI, it seems to work great - http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=8
    Someone else mentioned the Raxter to me just after I posted too, the Tarsus would be the one to get. Does it ever contact the ground when you go in or out of steep driveways? My hitch is super low to the ground, and I'm concerned about dragging it. How is the side-to-side stability on the road?

thanks,
    0xf00d

not really an mtbr member
    Kuat? The NV is great.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    ILikeFood- I have the same issue with my Suzuki SX4 and was looking at the NSR-2 and the MWE set-up http://www.mweracks.com/home. There are pictures on the NSR website of their NSR-2 on smaller cars. The MWE system has different lengths and rises but they want me to take pics and measurements of my hitch to assure a good fit. I looked at the specs of the NV but I thought it would be to close to my hatch and may not be able to put two bikes on with wide handle bars.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by theextremist04 View Post
    Kuat? The NV is great.
    +1 and it comes in 1-1/4 and 2"

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeFood View Post
    Someone else mentioned the Raxter to me just after I posted too, the Tarsus would be the one to get. Does it ever contact the ground when you go in or out of steep driveways? My hitch is super low to the ground, and I'm concerned about dragging it. How is the side-to-side stability on the road?

thanks,
    0xf00d
    I have not had it ever drag, it does have a little bit of side to side play in the hitch. They have an anti-sway bolt you can add-on, but then you need a wrench to take it off the car. I have several friends that have the bolt and it removes all of the sway.

I Love My Bicycle
    Jun 2011
    I can't find anything for 10' evo x's. Does a trunk mount exist?
    2010 Cannondale Moto 2 Carbon
    2010 Evolution X 565hp/535tq

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tnrider View Post
    I have several friends that have the bolt and it removes all of the sway.
    All of sway, really?

I just installed the same rack as yours and man does this thing have a lot of play. I have the anti-sway locking pin on its way and I'm hoping it reduces (or eliminates) most of the movement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ILikeFood View Post
    I just finally had a Curt hitch installed on my '11 STi, and I'm debating on either getting the 1up USA rack (http://www.1upusa.com/1upusarackhome.htm) or the North Shore Racks NSR-2 (http://northshoreracks.com/photo%20c...ustomer27.html)

What hitch racks are you guys running on Subaru STi/WRX's? Since the hitch is only 1 1/4" it limits the options, but these two seem pretty compelling.

I'm worried the 1up rack might be too close to the back of my car, but there is no way to verify this without trying it. Also, their price is very high and their ugly website really burns my eyes (the product reviews really well though.)

The NSR-2 looks to work pretty well, but that long silver bar looks to me like it is going to hit really hard out of every steep parking lot transition. I also don't think the NSR-2 will do road bikes, but that isn't a total deal killer for me (I'm a 99.9% mountain biker.)

thanks,
    0xf00d
    The 1UpUSA is variable in how far/close to the car it can be. There is no pin to secure it, there is a ball that you wedge into the corner of the hitch with a jack screw kind of arrangement. It's a flexible arrangement, it is very secure and it means the rack is tight in the receiver with no sway. That ball only needs to be 1" or more into the hitch receiver. With the 1.25" hitch, you could put 3 bikes on the 1UpUSA rack and not exceed the hitch rating. You can actually put 4 on if you are confident in the mounting of your hitch. The rack will do it, it's the 1.25" load spec on the receiver that may not.

I don't have the measurement (and I'm lazy enough not to want to go out in the garage right now) but I'd call 1UpUSA and ask them what that dimension is and then you would be able to easily figure out if it clears your bumper properly (I'm sure it will). We run ours on a Volvo XC90 with the receiver tucked way back in so it's flush with the body trim and it has an SUV bit protruding bumper on it. We have plenty of room to flip the rack up with some left over. I typically put it in so that it when I flip the rack up, it's tight up against the bumper.

It's a great rack. We really like ours.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have Kuat NV mounted on my 2008 STi.
    There are pics and install notes for the Forester hitch over on iwsti.com

No clearance issue with the rack on any part of the car/hatch. If bikes are installed, you just flip a lever to tilt the bikes away from the car to get into the hatch.