Hitch Rack - Securing Front Wheel/Bars- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Hitch Rack - Securing Front Wheel/Bars

I am new to bike racks so please excuse me if this question seems obvious, but I want to make sure that my bikes are safe and for anyone else who might be thinking the same.

I have a new Thule Helium (2 bike) hitch mount rack in which the bikes hang from the top/down tubes.

My question is how do I secure, and what is the consensus method for securing the front wheels/handle bars to keep them from turning and swaying on the drive?

The bikes are securely strapped onto the rack and I use the anti-sway cage which helps out a lot but the front wheels can still hit each bike. I checked Thule’s website but did not find a handle bar stabilizer type device. Do most people just use bungee cords? Or, do people generally not bother with it and let the front wheels bash around.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mtbr member extraordinair
    A marvel of affordability, utility, and complex sophistication - the bungee cord.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stupendous Man
    A marvel of affordability, utility, and complex sophistication - the bungee cord.

surly inbred
    My Helium came with an included cinch style strap. I shortened it to a reasonable length & it works well.

Bungees work, but I still see bike movement that doesn't occur with the strap; not to mention less THWAP on me & bikes when the shockcord slips from my hand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Agreed, the all mighty bungee, but as the poster above mentioned there is still movement depending on how you strap it up carrying one bike. Not a big deal. As well the supplied cinch down strap is plenty long. I like bungee cords for quick ease of use.

I would give the 2 bike Thule helium a 4 out of 5. Really light weight and easy to use. My only problem was that I was not able to find a way to use both anti-sway cages when using 2 bikes (facing opposite directions of course). The handle bars and tires just got in the way for both bikes as the anti-sway cage straps down on the seat tube under top tube. I used the anti sway cage on the bike closet to the vehicle and not on the ouside bike as positioning to get both bikes on required me to move the outside bike more center on the top tube. Bungee worked well to secure. The bikes are both hardtail 19" frames, 26 and 29. Just can't get the tetris working enough to use both cages. With the 3-4 bike option I would see no problem here. Would recomend anyone to get the 3 option if available.

Members who have read this thread: 0