Hitch rack on/off tips & timing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hitch rack on/off tips & timing?

Hi there..

Currently have a sedan with a roof rack which means the rack is always ready to go. Well, with a rug rat biting at my ankles Im joining SUV land, hopefully with either a Hoinda CRV or Acura RDX, and plan to use either with a hitch rack.

Heres the thing...I prefer to not leave the rack on all the time, just when I need it. So the question is.....is that practical?

I see racks like the Saris Thelma that seem pretty lightweight and seem to be able to go on/off in short order. In THEORY Im thinking keeping the rack in the garage most of the time and just throwing it on the car as needed quickly and using one of those bolts with the locks on the end like this would do the trick:

http://www.saris.com/p-376-locking-hitch-tite.aspx

But in REALITY are hitch racks really easy to get on off, or am I going to have to dive under my back bumper and start fuddling with rachets and bolts for fifteen minutes every time I want to attach it and take it off?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    its just a square peg/square receptacle and a hitch pin to remove. grease the rack if it doesn't slide smoothly

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    So youre saying I can use one of these:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...m_pla=&cm_ite=

and NOT a threaded bolt that I need a socket wrench for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    you want the threaded bolt. I use just a crescent wrench for mine, and I am sure I have the rack mounted with 2 bikes and extra chains locked and backing out the driveway in 10-15 mins. The bolt screws in by hand all the way then just a couple of turns with the wrench to get tight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The reason you'd want the bolt is that inside the rack is a nut. The bolt pulls on the nut to tighten the rack against the hitch so it will not wobble.

Slowest Rider
    I install and remove my Yakima Holdup hitch rack in about 30 seconds - seriously. (Bikes load in another 30 seconds each.) I store the hitch in the garage right behind my car when I back up. So I pick up the rack turn around and toss it in the hitch receiver hole. I insert and remove the rack with it folded up so it's easier to handle by grabbing one of the cross rails.

Speed tips:
    When inserting the rack, I look for the wear line on the receiver from previous use. (But I could also draw a line if I needed.) I stop a few mm out, then put the bolt into the receiver hole while gently pushing and wiggling the rack in the remaining distance. When the holes line up, the bolt goes in. I will wiggle the rack a little more while inserting the bolt to get it fully in and turning free. I screw it in by hand and then tighten the last couple turns with the ratchet. I keep my ratchet right there with the hitch, always loaded with the right socket, since it's 97% of my ratchet use, a couple times a week.

The Yakima Holdup uses a screw type bolt to hold the rack tight against the recevier to eliminate rack wobble. The technique for insertion would be similar to the bolt you show.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Members who have read this thread: 0