Hitch rack for Matrix- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Hitch rack for Matrix

Hi I am shopping for a hitch rack for my Toyota Matrix with a 1 1/4 receiver. Looking for a 3 or 4 bike rack for 2 adults and 2 kid bikes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

dirty trail dog
    Browse through the Car & Biker forum: http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126

I'm certain you'll find all the info you need in that forum.
    yep...

mtbr member
    I looked into this a while back and ended up getting a roof rack. I was uncomfortable with the low ride height using a tt mounted rack, looked into a tray style rack, would have worked well, but more expensive, especially since I didn't have the hitch yet. I opted for the roof rack for a number of reasons, easier to load and unload luggage and dog without bikes in the way, also I plan on getting a roof box in the near future so the roof rack was needed anyway. This does affect my fuel millage, but not too dramatically if I watch my speed. I used Yakima qtowers and crossbars with rockymount tray, whole system cost me about $550cad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yfzracer912
    Hi I am shopping for a hitch rack for my Toyota Matrix with a 1 1/4 receiver. Looking for a 3 or 4 bike rack for 2 adults and 2 kid bikes. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    A lot depends on your vehicle. I have a mazda 5 ( a lot like a matrix but better!! :-) ) and I went with a hitch rack. All in I only spent $250 including the Hitch!! I got a 3 bike swagman off ebay for $65 delivered and the hitch was $170. I installed the hitch myself (It only had 4 bolts to install and I have the neccessary tools)

Roof racks have their place, but you have to have enough width. most roof racks arfe setup for 2 bikes. and you have to lift them up there. They add drag and require extra fuel where a hitch rack just hides in the cars shadow anyway.

for me it was a no brainer. The factory racks (required) alone were neary $500 before I ever added the bick racks!!

Members who have read this thread: 0