Hitch rack advice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Hitch rack advice...

I am going to get a hitch rack that has some 'special' needs. I need a carrier for four bikes. But, two of the bikes will be 29ers, and the other two will be kids bikes (16" wheels) for a few years until they are tall enough for 20" and on up. I've looked at several racks that have wheel size mins and the need to purchase an extra kit for adaptability. It would be nice to be able to use the rack for any bike config (4 29ers, 4 kids bikes, mix of both, etc.).

I'm sure someone out there has dealt with this successfully. Any tips on a rack that will accommodate a growing family?

mtbr member
    Saris freedom 4 superclamp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sfo423 View Post
    I am going to get a hitch rack that has some 'special' needs. I need a carrier for four bikes. But, two of the bikes will be 29ers, and the other two will be kids bikes (16" wheels) for a few years until they are tall enough for 20" and on up. I've looked at several racks that have wheel size mins and the need to purchase an extra kit for adaptability. It would be nice to be able to use the rack for any bike config (4 29ers, 4 kids bikes, mix of both, etc.).

I'm sure someone out there has dealt with this successfully. Any tips on a rack that will accommodate a growing family?
    1UpUSA. Your story is pretty much what our story was.

Here's the other piece - it's a modular rack. Most of the 4 bike set ups get insanely heavy. The 1UpUSA rack is modular so you can just add the as many trays as you need. That means it's as easy for anybody from kid on up to put the rack on the car. You can have it on the car ready to go in 2 minutes for 4 bikes and with the modules all separate.

J.

Why so uptite?
    Dec 2005
    Kuat NV is another option. I use it as a 2 bike most the time, but use the add-on to make it a 4-bike.
    Collection of fun carbon & titanium bikes

@tgi_cycling

banned
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EBG 18T View Post
    Kuat NV is another option. I use it as a 2 bike most the time, but use the add-on to make it a 4-bike.
    The NV is the best rack on the market, no doubt.

However, they only claim compatibility with 20" wheels on up. Maybe a 16" wheeled bike will work but I am long past having one around to test it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I went with the Thule T2 Pro. Didn't have time to order from 1up so went to the local rack store. The NV 2 was the preferred rack going in, but it is not adjustable going down to 20" wheels. The T2 Pro was and it was the next best rack I looked at. Sturdy, no play in receiver as it has an expander feature. Only weakness I see so far is the lame cable lock system. It's not an important feature to me, but it's still not a good cable lock.

mtbr member
    I like the looks of the one-up rack for this purpose. solid tray to fit just about any size wheel. Use the two racks for normal use, and when you need to add a kid bike, just bolt on an additional rack. Same rack regardless of the size. Only issue is fat tire bikes need a tire adapter added on. Easy to do, just an extra step.

Only problem, not cheap.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"