Hitch Rack- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hitch Rack

mtbr member

Hitch Rack

How many of you leave your hitch rack on at all times? I'm transferring in a couple weeks to VA and have been leaving my Yakima Double Down Ace 4 on my hitch. I've been keeping it on because I'm staying with my in laws for a couple weeks and already keep mine and my wife's bike, plus other things in the garage. So I don't want to clutter it even more. It makes me nervous that someone will steal it. It locks into the hitch, but the top portion can be taken off with the removal of just one bolt. I just want to see if anyone has ever had an issue with leaving it on?

code: mtbr2011

Hitch Rack

Leave it on. You're fine. If someone steals it they will be struck down by lightning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    Leave it on. You're fine. If someone steals it they will be struck down by lightning.
    haha Ok man, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Hitch Rack

I don't have the same rack but mine comes off after every ride. I don't like having unnecessary stuff hanging off the back of my car.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
    I don't have the same rack but mine comes off after every ride. I don't like having unnecessary stuff hanging off the back of my car.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    Yea I usually take it off. I think I'm just going to play it safe and take it off after use.

College Boy
    honestly I leave mine on full time. It is one of those items that just is not worth stealing as you can not sell it for much as only a few parts, it is rather large and bulky so it is hard to steal.

It is a mixture of being near worthless and relatively large and heavy that keeps thieves away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    honestly I leave mine on full time. It is one of those items that just is not worth stealing as you can not sell it for much as only a few parts, it is rather large and bulky so it is hard to steal.

It is a mixture of being near worthless and relatively large and heavy that keeps thieves away.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be leaving it on while driving cross country for sure.

mtbr member
    Mine is on more often than not. I use it every week at the minimum, so while I used to take it off regularly, I've stopped bothering lately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    Mine is on more often than not. I use it every week at the minimum, so while I used to take it off regularly, I've stopped bothering lately.
    Yea I usually use it once a week too. I usually just take it off since it's not really hard, but sometimes I get lazy and leave it on.

mtbr member

Hitch Rack

I put my 1up rack on in the spring and take it off when the snow flies. Never had an issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You could probably track down a security bolt if you are worried. Make it an obscure tool and there's less chance of anyone taking it off.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Wingspan, thanks for the reply! mame, you have a point. I'll have to look into that.

mtbr member
    I only put mine on when I'm going riding but its only because my dog has to jump in from the back because the rear doors just don't open wide enough, plus he's getting older.

Some highway patrol officers out there can get itchy as well. I've heard of people getting tickets because the rack obstructs the view of their license plate.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    To resurrect an aging thread... Some municipalities have ordinances against leaving your hitch rack (or trailer hitch for that matter) in. They represent a safety hazard to people walking around the back of your vehicle. Especially to idiots with their noses buried in their communicators...