Hitch Rack (2-4 Bike) for Sprinter- Mtbr.com
    Cactus Cuddler

Hitch Rack (2-4 Bike) for Sprinter

I'm trying to find a hitch mounted bike rack that I can use with either my truck (a beater Ford Ranger I have zero concerns about mounting arrangements with) and also my mom's Mercedes Sprinter based RV.
    The latter is the important one, since I'm tagging along and critically I need to be able to gain access to the storage in the back of the RV, and much more importantly I need to have a hitch mounted setup that doesn't collide with the rear doors when they open.

I'm partial to the upright wheel and frame secured racks (vice the top-tube only mounted ones), not in the least part because I have long wheelbase 29ers (I could see both tires in the wing mirrors while driving in the Sprinter).

So far I've tried a Bell Rite-Up THREE bike rack, but the doors hit the base and were about 3/4" away from clearing those and having no issue. Bummer, because that's a pretty affordable rack. It's a way nicer unit than I expected, especially for the cost.

Are there any specific models that will work? I really just care about being able to fully open the doors when there aren't bikes on it - on that particular setup the only place to store electrical/water/jumper cable sets is in the back, so not being able to open those doors turned out to be a deal-breaker (especially in cold weather).
    Basically anything other than having my bike upside-down with the handlebars in front of the driver/passenger seat up front driving through Zion would be an upgrade... not that doing so was all that terrible.

mtbr member
    Recon rack

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    I'm trying to find a hitch mounted bike rack that I can use with either my truck (a beater Ford Ranger I have zero concerns about mounting arrangements with) and also my mom's Mercedes Sprinter based RV.
    The latter is the important one, since I'm tagging along and critically I need to be able to gain access to the storage in the back of the RV, and much more importantly I need to have a hitch mounted setup that doesn't collide with the rear doors when they open.

I'm partial to the upright wheel and frame secured racks (vice the top-tube only mounted ones), not in the least part because I have long wheelbase 29ers (I could see both tires in the wing mirrors while driving in the Sprinter).

So far I've tried a Bell Rite-Up THREE bike rack, but the doors hit the base and were about 3/4" away from clearing those and having no issue. Bummer, because that's a pretty affordable rack. It's a way nicer unit than I expected, especially for the cost.

Are there any specific models that will work? I really just care about being able to fully open the doors when there aren't bikes on it - on that particular setup the only place to store electrical/water/jumper cable sets is in the back, so not being able to open those doors turned out to be a deal-breaker (especially in cold weather).
    Basically anything other than having my bike upside-down with the handlebars in front of the driver/passenger seat up front driving through Zion would be an upgrade... not that doing so was all that terrible.
    Thellama, the rakattach works pretty well on the sprinter van or the beater truck, a large will fit both. With it you can use almost any rack. We have had a fit issue with the NorthShore racks but the Recon racks are a better fit! Any tray style (kuat, yak, thule) works well (2 or 4 bikes). You can see the RakAttach posts in this forum or at our webpage or facebook. Please feel free to contact me with questions!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Look up the reviews for 1 upUSA I have a 2" style two bike rack and will soon upgrade to 4.