Hitch mounted rack... Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New question here. Hitch mounted rack... Help

Hello
    I have tried to search and read up but can not find current info or suggestions on available racks.

I want a hitch mounted bike rack for a large SUV and a Honda Accord, it can be a 2in receiver. I will probably only need it for 2 bikes but up to 4 is fine. I want something of quality that will work for across town or across the USA.

It will probably haul mountain bikes or beach cruisers, if that matters.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I love my Yakima Bighorn 4, you can get it in 1.25 and 2 inch types and you can even swap the same rack with the 2 different sizes with the purchase of the other reciever type. hauls anything from 1-2 bikes fine so far in my experience. Haven't had the need to haul more yet, but it is advertised to haul up to 4 bikes. Also i got mine for $160 free shipping and it arrived in 3 days, and only took about 30 minutes to set up and have on my car. Hauling on a 2005 Honda Civic 4 door with ease.
    2009 Gary Fisher Mako
    92' Trek 830 Antelope in restoration being turned into a commuter

Slowest Rider
    You have a lot of different options. First you need to figure out what quality you need and want.

I just sold off a garage full of about 6 bike racks I've owned over the years because I didn't buy good enough at the start, not willing to believe a good bike rack could cost as much has they do. In the end, I probably could have saved a lot to just get a top quality rack at the start.

The lower cost two arm folding types are fine if you only need it a couple times a year and you don't have odd shape bikes (like a cruiser). You may need a $20 adapter bar, and do some Chinese Puzzle maneuvering to get them on, but it's not bad if you don't need to do it often.

There's also some very cheap knock-offs of the wheel mount hitch racks that I found at Target. After assembly I decided they were too cheap and flimsy to trust using with my bike, and I sold it off.

I eventually evolved mentally so as to allow myself to get the top of the line Yakima Holdup (similar to Thule T2). Installs onto the hitch in 30 seconds and the bikes load in another 10 seconds each. I absolutely love how nice and easy it works each time I use it. It costs $400, but can get down to ~$320-360 with the standard 10% discount and you watch for Yakima's specials (usually $50 off) that come about once a year, usually in the spring. I also got the Holdup Plus 2 so I can do four bikes. With that heavy a hitch, you need to have a strong receiver on your car. The torque from the heavy bikes far out can be very high.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Members who have read this thread: 0