Hitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Hitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer

I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack that i can use on my truck (F150) and Explorer and to mount to the hitch on the back of my 20 foot travel trailer. Need a rack that is usable for both vehicles which is pretty easy, but tired of banging up the inside of my trailer as well so wanted to see if a rack would work with all three.

I think the Thule T2 Pro was going to be the best bet and then add the 2 bike add on; however, Thule does not recommend using on the back of a trailer. Is this out of an abundance of caution by Thule and is usable or what?

I will be carrying my 29er Mountain Bike, my wifes 27.5 full suspension and my daughters 24 Mountain Bike and eventually my youngest will have a bike.

Most bike racks I find specific for trailers are really hokey looking and I would prefer to only invest in one rack if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM40 View Post
    I am looking for a hitch mount bike rack that i can use on my truck (F150) and Explorer and to mount to the hitch on the back of my 20 foot travel trailer. Need a rack that is usable for both vehicles which is pretty easy, but tired of banging up the inside of my trailer as well so wanted to see if a rack would work with all three.

I think the Thule T2 Pro was going to be the best bet and then add the 2 bike add on; however, Thule does not recommend using on the back of a trailer. Is this out of an abundance of caution by Thule and is usable or what?

I will be carrying my 29er Mountain Bike, my wifes 27.5 full suspension and my daughters 24 Mountain Bike and eventually my youngest will have a bike.

Most bike racks I find specific for trailers are really hokey looking and I would prefer to only invest in one rack if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    You will find most manufacturers of quality hitch racks DO NOT like for their racks to be installed on the back of RV's or travel trailers. It's not an overabundance of caution. There are seriously legit concerns here. Basically, the biggest factor is the extension past the rear axle in combination with the bouncing that tends to happen. In addition, RV hitch receivers are usually not built strongly enough for those kinds of tongue weights. You might be able to get it reinforced enough, but then there are still the stresses placed on the rack itself. If you really insist on putting the rack behind the trailer, then I'd start by getting the hitch on the back of it WAY over-reinforced as a starting point.

The only quality rack I know that IS rated for use on the back of an RV is the 1upUSA (original, and maybe the Mach 2), but that one basically requires you to buy the heavy duty version, and you're limited to 2 bikes. From what I've noticed, it seems to be that the various swing-down pivots are what really preclude a bike rack's use on the back of an RV. It makes sense if you think about how the bouncing gets exaggerated back there.

Frankly, I don't think the back of an RV is a good choice for bike hauling, anyway. Since I bought my own camper (something that would fit entirely inside yours), I've paid more attention to other RV's on the road. I see a TON of accessories installed on the backs of RV's that are close to failure. Bike racks, cargo platforms, pretty much anything that can be put back there, I've seen practically dragging on the road (sometimes actually dragging on the road, with sparks). Sometimes it's the accessory itself that's bent and close to failing, but usually I don't think so - it's the hitch receiver on the RV.

I think it's best to use different carry systems. The hitch rack is fine for the truck, but the best place for bikes when pulling the trailer is probably either in the truck bed itself, or to find a way to carry bikes on the trailer tongue. Like these options:

https://www.reesehitches.com/product...yABEgJ4HfD_BwE
    Roulotte – Support Ă* vĂ©lo pour VR de haute qualitĂ© | ARVIKA
    iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

You also might ask these folks. I don't see any statements whatsoever about their products on RV's or travel trailers, but I saw a couple pictures on Google images from folks who used them. Reading a bit more about the use, the people who did use them had some serious hitches (Class V stuff) to overcompensate for the trouble back there.

North Shore Bike Racks

My camper had the option to get a hitch receiver installed for a bike rack. But the more I investigated things, the more I realized that nothing I did would actually make it safe enough for my preferences. So I ended up buying roof trays. At this point, I'm going to move the roof trays over to the wife's Subie for now. However, I plan to replace my Honda Fit with a medium-sized pickup, and I'll be installing something like this and the roof trays will go there.

https://www.undercoverinfo.com/p-371...dgelander.html

20170302_075720 by Nate, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have a 34' travel trailer and was exploring this recently. I have a rear cargo rack we use to carry a cooler or a large tote so rear mount was not an option. I was then looking at this https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Cargo/St...SABEgLQrPD_BwE from etrailer. Looks like it would mount higher than double 30# tanks. Once unstalled you can use any 2" receiver rack on the trailer, truck, or your SUV. The mounting position on this option will dramatically decrease the bronco bucking your bikes would take mounted rear of the trailer axles. Just another option I thought would not hurt to throw out there.

Instead I decided I am going to end up using factory fork mounts offered by Toyota that mount directly into my factory bed track in my truck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    check out iSi carrier (Aussie made) it has attachments for both tow hitch and trailer/RV attachment

Adaptable to all types of bike, and secure for offroad travel if required
    My bucket list carrier
    iSi Advanced 4x4 Bicycle Carrier and Bike Rack Systems

mtbr member
    May we humbly suggest the ALTA SIX GPR by alta racks. You can offroad with it, mount it on a back of a RV. Life time warranty, built in camp table option, repair stand option, ski and snowboad carrier option, Hammock option. rack stand turns the rack in ot a bike storage as well. So much more too, this is build for camping groups, vanlifge groups, offroad groups. Tons of videos on our youtube and website.
    Special runs out for CAM Zink signed stickers and free reapir arm, end of this month. use code "cam six"

Thanks
    Hitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer-tocoma_tailgate.jpgHitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer-20170714_084957.jpgHitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer-camsix.jpgHitch Mount Rack for Truck, SUV and Travel Trailer-fatbikes.jpg
    Military grade products at great prices.
    www.altaracks.com
    Not just a bike rack, but a Life rack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I'm looking for a bike rack too and stumbled across the Swagman Escapee. Just a heads up, it's rated for use behind an RV.

eric
    fresno, ca.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have the Thule t2 pro. I would use it and I'd either build or buy a strong hitch to attach it. A tapped hitch can be made very strong and is the ideal way to attach anything securely and still be removable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am going to agree with Harold here, for safety reasons you are better of getting a hitch mounted rack that sits between your vehicle and the trailer. Hollywood has a 3 bike hitch mounted rack called Tow'N Go, that might be a good option.
    Hope that helps
    http://recrostorage.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I actually went with the 1 up rack for 2 bikes as the kids bikes fit well in the truck with camper shell at this age and it has been fantastic. Had a custom receiver welded on the back of the trailer by a local welding shop and it is sturdy to say the least. Just went on a long trip in some pretty rugged dirt roads and the way the rack and trailer interface there is tons of clearance and no wiggle at all.

Really like the 1 up as well as no set up and so easy to move between vehicles which seems to happen on a weekly basis with our family.