Hitch Mount Help: Thule vs. Saris for 1996 Maxima- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hitch Mount Help: Thule vs. Saris for 1996 Maxima

I am wondering if anyone has installed a hitch to a 1996 (or close) Nissan Maxima for use with a tray mount rack. It looks like the only type hitch I can install is a Class 1 (1-1/4")with a tongue weight rating of between 100-250 lbs (depending on the manufacturer). I am leaning towards a hitch mount over a roof mount to keep the bike (new 29er, full suspension) out of the wind and reduce the possibility of a garage strike. I don't like the trunk mount option because the car still looks pretty good.

Does anyone have pictures of a Maxima with a hitch and/or rack and recommendations on Saris Cycle On (or Cycle on Pro) versus the Thule sidearm? From what I've read, the Saris has an anti wobble feature (nice) and the Thule has the tray sitting 7+ inches above the hitch (nicer). I like the idea of raising the bike out of the exhaust and protecting the bike and tray from road strikes with my soft sedan suspension.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I really like the Saris and have used it for a couple years. It rides about 4 inches above the receiver. I'd recommend keeping it as low as possible so as to keep bikes out of the air flowing over the car. Really helps with mileage. It sticks out plenty for exhaust air to mix with ambient, so i wouldn't worry about melted tires and stuff. Really I've only seen than on a motor home with a hitch rack anyways. The weight of the Saris itself is about 50 Lbs so that's not an issue.

Members who have read this thread: 0