Hitch Mount Bike Rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Hitch Mount Bike Rack

I am looking for a Hitch mounted bike rack. I like Thule and Yakimas racks. Do the racks come with a lock system so the bike can be secure? I take my bike up to Vermont (4hrs away) I have a 2" receiver on my Hummer H2, my bike is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 20mm front through axle so I cant easily take the front wheel off. I would like to be able to carry at least 2 bikes, maybe up to 4.

Lord of the Chainrings
    My friend has a Sportworks hitch mount setup.
    I have a Yakima King Cobra roof mount setup and I am going to build a hitch mount for it. I agree, I hate taking the front wheel off too. 20mm disassembly is a hassle.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    I have the Thule T2 rack. Buy it. Period. Best rack you will ever own. Takes 10 seconds to put the bike in, less to take it out. Its expensive, but its worth it. I personally don't trust anything but hitch racks and that one is the best.

www.rackattack.com

mtbr member
    Saris Cycle On, Yakima HookUp, Thule T2. All basically the same idea and the only style to get as far as I am concerned. I actually have an older Hollywood rack that is similar.
    Beware of attack trained trees.

rjp
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm personally a fan of the Saris. I have the 2 bike version and, when required, add the extension to accomodate four bikes. I like the fact that it seems overbuilt - very sturdy. Did very well doing 3600 km (~2300 miles) to Moab and back.

Short Version:

FJ Bike 5b.jpg FJ Bike 1a.jpg

Extended:

FJ - Bike Rack.jpg

Old man on a bike
    I've used the Sportworks racks for a long time (now Thule), great racks. As far as security goes, I usually keep an eye on the bikes in urban areas even when I have a cable lock on the bikes. A prepared thief can defeat just about any security lock sold with any of the racks, and even most of the locks you can add besides that.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

It's all ball bearings

Check out softride

Not sure what your priorities are by your post, but I have a softride and know others who have softrides, and theyre one great affordable option. The rack is a parallelogram style that swings down on the back of an SUV, making it possible to get in the back w/o moving the bikes. I really dont care if I have a fancy name on my rack, as long as it holds my rids and

It's all ball bearings

what the?

sorry - not sure what happened there. new computer!!!. This rack does a great job for minimum $$$ I've had 4 bikes on mine- no probs

Good luck whatever you do-

ballbuster

I just ordered a hitch...

Quote Originally Posted by BLH2
    I am looking for a Hitch mounted bike rack. I like Thule and Yakimas racks. Do the racks come with a lock system so the bike can be secure? I take my bike up to Vermont (4hrs away) I have a 2" receiver on my Hummer H2, my bike is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with a 20mm front through axle so I cant easily take the front wheel off. I would like to be able to carry at least 2 bikes, maybe up to 4.
    Not to thread hijack, but...

... for my '96 GTi. I was thinking of picking up one of those Performance Bike XPort flatbed racks.

1) I wonder how much this is going to make the back of my lightweight car sag

2) How do these racks hold up?

I don't have the cash for a Sportsworks rack, so its this or a hanging type... which I don't wanna do. I've bent my front wheel on one of these already when my bud dragged the bikes out of his driveway.

I ride bikes
    Apr 2006
    I have the Xport 2 bike flatbed rack from Performance and it works pretty well on my 2005 Jetta GLI. The rack seems very well built and sturdy but I need to come up with a way to lock the bikes on it in case I have to go into a store since this rack has no provisions for locks.

2006 Giant Trance 1

ballbuster

When I used a trunk rack....

.... which totally screwed up my paint, BTW so I stopped using it...

I used to lock up my bikes using two 9' long Kryptonite cable threaded through each other, and looped from the tow hook under the bumper, through the front and rear wheels of the bike, ending up at a U-lock around the frame and rear wheel.

Seemed pretty secure.

I suppose you could also lock the cable to some part of the body inside the trunk and slam the cable in the trunk of the car out to the bikes.

Was that a Bobcat?
    I been using the Performance Xport Flatbed for a couple months now and it works really great. It' not too heavy and it is very sturdy. Great bang for your buck hitch rack.

a.k.a Slacker
    Jan 2006
    I have the T2, the tilting feature is great when I need to open up my back lift gate (I have a Grand Cherokee).

The security feature's "OK" to say the least, but I still will cable lock everything if I leave the car & bike for anything longer than 5 minutes

Members who have read this thread: 0