Hitch mount bike carrier suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Hitch mount bike carrier suggestions

Hi all,
    I am looking for a 2" hitch mount bike carrier for my 06 Subaru Outback Wgn and have narrowed it down to the Thule T2, Saris Cycle-On Pro and Saris Thelma. To my knowledge, the T2 is the only one that folds down with the bikes attached to allow you to open the back hatch; certainly a good option. They are all costly, so in this price range, a few extra bucks won't make a difference. So, if anyone has any experience, please let me know.

Thanks!

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockybod
    Hi all,
    I am looking for a 2" hitch mount bike carrier for my 06 Subaru Outback Wgn and have narrowed it down to the Thule T2, Saris Cycle-On Pro and Saris Thelma. To my knowledge, the T2 is the only one that folds down with the bikes attached to allow you to open the back hatch; certainly a good option. They are all costly, so in this price range, a few extra bucks won't make a difference. So, if anyone has any experience, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Just to add another to your list, Yakima just came out with the HoldUp tray-type hitch rack that also folds down with bikes (for hatch access) or up without bikes (for compact storage). It looks like it's Yakima's design response to Thule's T2. Yakima's new hitch rack line is arriving in all the hitch stores on Monday (3/9/08). Go to Yakima.com to see more details.

Edit: I got a lot more details from Yakima on the HoldUp. Also the HoldUp may not arrive in stores until the first week of April now. See more information on this thread, and in particular on the HoldUp on this post.
    Last edited by BigLarry; 03-14-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks BigLarry, I'll wait and take a look.

Just ordered my Specialized Cross Trail Sport today; two weeks and not patiently waiting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I know many people that love their T2's

Single Speed Junkie
    My bike jumped off a T2. OEM they need some engineering help for certain bikes.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"

Cycle-On 4sure.

I've had the Cycle-On for 2 years now. Fast! Folds flat and easy to use.

Looking at the other systems, including the Thelma, they all look either chunky or like more work to load.

My only complaint, and this may apply to some of the others, rust! I never take mine off and I live in New England. Winters have corroded most of the hardware. For over $300- bucks, these systems should come with stainless hardware with powder coat everything!
    I've had to get into the habbit of removing my system recently so that it won't get any worse. More work than I like to add to my day.

Doesn't drop back for hatch access though.

mtbr member
    I've been checking these out online but I havent been able to see one up close yet. Anyone out there have any experience w/ these.

http://www.northshoreracks.com/

http://www.dropmachine.com/Reviews/p2_articleid/318

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1
    I've been checking these out online but I havent been able to see one up close yet. Anyone out there have any experience w/ these.

This is the first time I've seen these racks, but it's a pretty cool idea. I especially like the way they turn the handlebars so all the bikes can line up side by side without interfering.

This handlebar twist would be a great way to make a tray rack, rather than the usual turning each bike in the opposite direction, which just makes a different interference between handlebars and seat. But I still think the tray rack is easier to load and unload than this vertical arrangement and the trays can hold the wheel instead of the frame or fork. And the fold down for access looks awkward. Nevertheless a cool idea and product.

It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Danimal1

Those are truly awesome.

I have a bunch of friends that have the T2's. They are great.

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Looks nice but, now you have to take off your wheel.

Through axle?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Looks nice but, now you have to take off your wheel.

Through axle?

BMJ
    "55 lbs and climbing!"
    Quote Originally Posted by ryball
    The "Slickrack" looks slick but it's a fork mount system, not a drop in system. You'll have to remove your front wheel to install. If you have a through axle fork, now you have to get a fork adaptor. For the same money, the other systems are much mor convenient. MHO.

The NSRack looks pretty cool! An interesting twist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

I have the cycle -on Pro

I have the Cycle-On Pro. Very happy with it overall, the only downsides are weight, and the hardware corrodes quickly. I recently gave up my SUV and was using it on my Honda Civic, but Its just too heavy. I am selling it and getting a thelma.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm another happy T2 owner. I was late for a ride last week, when I got to the trailhead, my buddies were all almost ready to go, I jumped out of my car, put my shoes, helmet and gloves on and I had to wait as my buddies were just putting on their front tires!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    The "Slickrack" looks slick but it's a fork mount system, not a drop in system. You'll have to remove your front wheel to install. If you have a through axle fork, now you have to get a fork adaptor. For the same money, the other systems are much mor convenient. MHO.

The NSRack looks pretty cool! An interesting twist.
    Oh.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    how about this: http://www.raxterracks.com/index.html

reviews look good as well...

Calm Like a Bomb
    i really like my saris cycle on pro...but here's a comparison done about a year ago on 3 of the more popular racks

http://www.sicklines.com/reviews/hit...-rack-roundup/
    '17 Hatchet Carbon
    '17 Troy Carbon
    '16 Django Carbon
    '16 Wilson
    '16 Farley 5

https://www.instagram.com/jayparrington/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Here is something we whipped up in my driveway this morning

(it's still in need of primer & paint, this was a test run)

we made the uprights removable so it can serve general cargo duties...

"Clatto Verata Nicto"
    Feb 2006
    I had an old Sportworks MOD rack (2-bike) that failed over the weekend. No damage to the bike, fortunately. It's pretty startling to check the rearview at 70 mph on a multi-lane freeway and see the bike laid back toward the pavement halfway to horizontal

So, it's time for a new rack. I narrowed it down to the Thule T2 and the Raxter and decided to get the Raxter. Here's why.

It's about half the weight of the T2, and I remove the rack when I'm not using it.

It allows staggering the bikes to avoid seat/handlebar contact without the need of tools.

The reviews on mtbr.com rate the Raxter over the T2 (only 5 reviews for the Thule)

Regrets:
    The Raxter doesn't tilt down for hatch access. But neither did the MOD

Ultimately, I'd prefer something like the North Shore Racks product. They are a simple and elegant design. In a few years I think we'll be seeing Thule and Yakima offering racks based on variations of the same concept.
    Local Riding Area - Rocky Hill Bike Ranch

mtbr member
    I am in am in the same boat as oldnslow and I too liked my cycle on pro. Cycle on por is a tank but on my old xterra (which i traded for a mazda 3) it worked great. May get a thema or something similar that is light weight for my new mazda 3. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Fits all kinds of different frame shapes.

Too Old to Die Young

mtbr member
    also have teh T2. love it. have it on my 06 impraza wagon and like how it can fold down so you have access to the hatch, and also holds bikes very well.

Shane

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldnslow
    I have the Cycle-On Pro. Very happy with it overall, the only downsides are weight, and the hardware corrodes quickly. I recently gave up my SUV and was using it on my Honda Civic, but Its just too heavy. I am selling it and getting a thelma.
    Hi Oldnslow,

Did you end up getting the Thelma for your Civic? How do you like it? I have an Accord, which will only take a Class I hitch. So, am having a little difficulty finding a rack for my possible hitch.

Any problems bottoming out on steep driveways?

Thanks!
    Consuela

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

No Thelma

Nope, The Thelma wouldnt fit my 29er wheels so I got the Hollywood sportrider 2 rack. It has been great and has no problem clearing the driveway (the version with the up turn in the mount) and best of all it folds up small enough to store in the trunk of my civic.

mtbr member
    I have the Softride Dura Rack. Works flawlessly.

http://www.softride.com/rack-product...ions/dura_rack

I looked at all of the possible racks that would move out of the way while loaded and this was by far the best to me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have used the saris thelma and I loved it. I liked the way it holds the wheel stable and does not need to touch my frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid56
    also have teh T2. love it. have it on my 06 impraza wagon and like how it can fold down so you have access to the hatch, and also holds bikes very well.

Shane

I have the T2 as well actually as a recommendation from Shane after i saw his set up on NASIOC. The t2 is very easy to put on and remove from the car. It holds the bikes great and folds up and down for access to the cargo area as well as fold up when not in use.

hows it going shane this is 07wrxwag from nasioc.

Members who have read this thread: 0