Hitch extensions- Mtbr.com
    Masher

Hitch extensions

Hi,

I need a 2" to 2" hitch extension to mount a bike rack on my Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I figure it only needs to be about 4" but maybe you guys have an opinion.

The rack is the new Yakima Holdup and, if it is anything like the Thule version of this system, it will not fit right without the extension.

Can anybody tell me what local chains carrry these. I tried Uhaul but they don't have 2" to 2".

Thanks.

Masher
    Bump.

Ok, so no one knows.

Maybe you guys know if this will work with the HoldUp.

http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/prod...xtension,80307

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No clue on whether or not it will work. I would say I think it will but that probably doesn't help.

I know I've seen extensions at etrailer.com also, but they may be the same as the ones you linked to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    That's a good price. I got mine from Northern Tool. Do you have one nearby?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...0424_200180424

Good luck.

Masher
    Ok, just a couple more questions.

Do I need a 12 in extension? I figured as short as possible since it is only a couple inches that keeps me from getting it in there.

And second, there is a big yellow stick on the manual that says, "Do not use with hitch extensions." Should I just ignore that? Just lawyers and their liability on teh Yakima side.

Thanks!

LDH
    mtbr member
    several lengths on ebay also

mtbr member

er, no

Quote Originally Posted by MisterC
    Ok, just a couple more questions.

Do I need a 12 in extension? I figured as short as possible since it is only a couple inches that keeps me from getting it in there.

And second, there is a big yellow stick on the manual that says, "Do not use with hitch extensions." Should I just ignore that? Just lawyers and their liability on teh Yakima side.

Thanks!
    That sticker is there for a reason. Hitch receivers come with a tongue weight limit, hitch rack manufacturers design their racks to stay within that limit (with a degree of safety built in)....if you put the rack on using an extension you increase the tongue weight dramatically and are asking for trouble. loads of people use them and get away with it but loads of people talk on the phone while driving too, still doesn't mean they should. It would suck for you to have the hitch, extension, hitch rack and 2 bikes rip off the car when you hit a pothole at 70mph... the lawyers have totally covered Yakima's ass, good luck trying to find someone to pay for your stuff and the umpteen cars that crashed behind you.

Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by longman
    That sticker is there for a reason. Hitch receivers come with a tongue weight limit, hitch rack manufacturers design their racks to stay within that limit (with a degree of safety built in)....if you put the rack on using an extension you increase the tongue weight dramatically and are asking for trouble. loads of people use them and get away with it but loads of people talk on the phone while driving too, still doesn't mean they should. It would suck for you to have the hitch, extension, hitch rack and 2 bikes rip off the car when you hit a pothole at 70mph... the lawyers have totally covered Yakima's ass, good luck trying to find someone to pay for your stuff and the umpteen cars that crashed behind you.
    Despite my favorite hobby I am rather cautious by nature. I think I'll just take the tire off when I move my bikes around. Not fun yes, but the above scenario is horrifying.

Good looks.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Be wary of standard extensions... If you don't have some sort of anti-wobble system built into the extension, you'll find that the result is unsatisfactory. The tolerances in hitches are pretty big, so the rack will tend to wobble back and forth much more than you would like.

I'd recommend checking with your rack manufacturer first to see if they offer an extension designed for your rack.

Masher
    The rack does wobble what seems to be excessively. The bike is attached to the rack good and firm and the rack isn't going to come out of the receiver but the receiver does not hold the hitch good and snug like I thought it would. Is this a common thing that I can solve with shims or perhaps this is just the way things attach to a hitch.

This is with no extension.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you have the problem with no extension, then you your rack probably doesn't have a anti-wobble mechanism designed in. Most of the bike racks today have some kind of anti-wobble system built in. There are quite a few ways they do it, but most are pretty effective. There are some after-market accessories that help with the problem if you don't mind having an additional piece to your rack system.

Swagman anti-wobble system

We've never had any complaints about that one, but I'm not a big fan of the design. It basically screws down to tighten the rack against one side of your hitch. It can mark up and damage the paint on your hitch.

The better solution if your bike rack hitch insert is hollow:
    [URL="http://www.hitchsource.com/quietride-hitch-pin-with-lock-p-27776.html"]Softride QuietRide Locking Pin[/URL

That's the one that Softride includes with their bike racks. It is the slickest system I've seen. There is a nut that slides inside your rack and then the bolt screws into the nut to tighten it to the side of the hitch. The lock keeps someone from unscrewing the bolt and taking your rack and bikes.

mtbr member
    I just just bought a 08 Jeep Wrangler X and finally found a place locally to order an extension. It will be in Tuesday, its 8" - the bike rack I have is a Reese Hitch Rack(I've had it almost 8 years) but don't use it much. I am worrying about the wobble too.

Members who have read this thread: 0