Hidden Hitch and Yakima StickUp problem- Mtbr.com
    Tree Thumper

New question here. Hidden Hitch and Yakima StickUp problem

I have a 1.25 hidden hitch and a yakima stickup. I tried to put the stickup in the receiver and the pin holes don't line up. the receiver hole is set to deep for the hole in the rack. Suggestions? Drill a new hole?
    Last edited by jpbova; 09-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.

code: mtbr2011
    that's kind of bizarre. the rack has to go so far in to get the holes to line up, that you can't end up pushing the rack in far enough.

we had seen a similar problem on some hitches that have a spare tire underneath that the rack couldn't go in deep enough, so we would have to cut about 1" from the back of the rack.

this sounds different. the recommendation i would make is to have a new hole drilled into the hitch that is out further, but still allows you to tighten the bolt properly. just make sure it's level. this is like a 5/8" hole, usually.

mtbr member
    How close is it? I had to clearance the end of my rack to clear a tang that was inside the 1.25" reciever tube to take the forward load from whatever was put into the reciever (does that make sense?).

Basically I took a round file on the bottom/front edge of the rack that goes into the hitch reciever and filed a semi circle to give room for the tang thing in the tube. The tang thing basically keeps the rack from going too far into the tube, stops it.

If you redrill the hole too far out, you will change the leverage of the rack on the hitch, possibly by alot (basically moving the rack and all its load father away from the car). It may not make much difference, but then again, it might.

Maybe you could just oval out the holes with a round file if it's close.

Just a thought,

Rock
    Attached Files Attached Files
    How can anyone who's been riding as long as I have, be so slow???

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    How close is it? I had to clearance the end of my rack to clear a tang that was inside the 1.25" reciever tube to take the forward load from whatever was put into the reciever (does that make sense?).

Rock

+1 I had to shorten a ball mount to get it to slide in far enough for the holes to line up. Mine needed to slide ~1/2" farther in to line up. There was a metal tab on the inside of the reciever tube that prevented the ball mount from sliding in far enough.

My receiver was also a hidden hitch

Tree Thumper
    I fixed the problem. the holes were about .5 to .75 of inch from lining up. I cut .75 of an inch off the male end of the hitch.... lined up perfectly. whether that compromises the hitch stability or security I have yet to discover

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    that was the solution I used as well

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You might have a class 1 hitch, that would make the hitch too short to accept the rack...that is what I ran into with my class 1 hitch..BR

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Revisiting old thread...

The hidden Hitch has a stop inside the tube that works with the trailer ball mount they supply. It is this stop that is limiting how far in the Yakima can be pushed. Instead of cutting off the tube on the Yakima, you can grind a 1/4" deep notch where the stop is so it slides over the stop enough to allow the pins to line up.

Members who have read this thread: 0