hidden hitch for bike rack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

hidden hitch for bike rack?

I have questions about hidden hitch for bike rack.

what is average cost for getting hidden hitch for bike rack?

Is the hitch strong enough to support the bike rack?

XCfosho15
    recently got a hidden hitch for our Honda Odyssey. it seems to be fine with 120lbs on it. i think it was around $130 at etrailer.com. just go to their website and you can find a hitch that will work with your specific vehicle.

meh... whatever
    the are generally rated for at least 200 lbs of tongue weight, so it sould haul a rack and 4 bikes with no problem.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    got mine from www.etrailers.com for $130 shipped. should tell you online how much weight they can carry but mine has worked fine for probably 130ish lbs. I trust my hitch. do it.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by rckhopper87
    got mine from www.etrailers.com for $130 shipped. should tell you online how much weight they can carry but mine has worked fine for probably 130ish lbs. I trust my hitch. do it.
    Ditto. Also got my Hidden Hitch from eTrailers for $130.

The car often limits the hitch tongue weight, which is usually about 10-15% of the tow weight.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I just got a hitch for the element. It is a hidden/Valley Uhaul Hitch with a 2" receiver for 105 shipped. It was a store on ebay that was posted in the element forum. Save the cash and do the install yourself as if the hitch is designed for your vehicle it should make use of holes already there. Took me 30-45minutes to install and that was running to get tools that I needed.

The weight the hitch can take is dependent on class. A Class 1 with a 1.25" receiver will have a tongue weight lower then a Class III with a 2" Receiver. Get a hitch with a 2" receiver as the accessories are way more common for that size.

mtbr member
    Just remember that with passenger cars that have limited ground clearance (sports suspension, or just plain lowered), you will have limits of what rack you can use. Even with a rack that hangs the bike by the frame, my brother's Accord could not use his Softride rack (bikes would hang too low). Some wheel tray racks are higher than others as well. Shop accordingly.

tk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    Just remember that with passenger cars that have limited ground clearance (sports suspension, or just plain lowered), you will have limits of what rack you can use. Even with a rack that hangs the bike by the frame, my brother's Accord could not use his Softride rack (bikes would hang too low). Some wheel tray racks are higher than others as well. Shop accordingly.

tk
    Good point - I think also if it is a car he may only be able to get a class 1 hitch with a 1.25" receiver. The 2" receiver is more common and it is easier to find accessories for. If this is the case then when you step up to an SUV you will be stuck with the 1.25" rack and have to either get the size hitch on the SUV or use an adapter to run the 1.25" rack in the 2" receiver. Either way you will be limited by the amount of bikes you can carry with a 1.25" rack. For example the Thule T2 you can only get the 2 bike rack with the 1.25". The 2" lets you carry 4. I think this is the case for most racks.

Slowest Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    Good point - I think also if it is a car he may only be able to get a class 1 hitch with a 1.25" receiver. The 2" receiver is more common and it is easier to find accessories for. If this is the case then when you step up to an SUV you will be stuck with the 1.25" rack and have to either get the size hitch on the SUV or use an adapter to run the 1.25" rack in the 2" receiver. Either way you will be limited by the amount of bikes you can carry with a 1.25" rack. For example the Thule T2 you can only get the 2 bike rack with the 1.25". The 2" lets you carry 4. I think this is the case for most racks.
    With a passenger car, a major limitation on the rack will be the permissible tongue weight. Look it up in your driver's manual. Generally it's about 10% of the tow weight, or maybe 150-300 lbs, depending. At the low end of weight capability, you're not going to be able to hold four bikes and a rack. Get a roof rack if you need more than two bikes.

You can always put on a 2" rack if it's sold for your car. And it makes sense to have the additional rack capability of the 2" receiver. But you still need to obey the weight limitation for car dynamics.
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

LDH
    mtbr member
    Got a 1 1/4" HH from etrailer and use a 1 1/4-2" adapter to move the rack back 6" as the hitch was tucked under too far to fit the first bike. I carry 4 bikes all the time and check everything carefully each time and have had no problems (sagging ,loosening, damage etc).

~I Ride In Circles ~
    etrailer... Love that site. got myself a Curt hitch for my Impreza for just over $100
    ~ it's all good ~

Members who have read this thread: 0