HF Bike Rack on Sale for $35- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

HF Bike Rack on Sale for $35

Hey, just wanted to let everyone know that the Harbor Freight hitch mounted bike rack is on sale right now for $35, which is the cheapest I've seen it. I got it on sale for $50 I think, and it was worth every penny.

Have taken it on a 18 hr trip from Cincinnati to South Florida and countless local trips with no problems. Used straps for the long trips to keep it from swaying so much. However the only necessary addition I can recommend is to get a foam noodle pool toy and cut two ~18" pieces to put between each bike mount. Keeps them from sliding on the rails and rubbing eachother. Do that and you will be golden. Enjoy!

Tried to post the link, but my rating isn't high enough...

mtbr member
    I use one of them- I think i paid 45 for mine. for the money they work very well-no problems.

mtbr member
    I hope my HF has these in stock , how long is the sale ? how wide is it ?
    the weather is here wish you were beautiful

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
    I hope my HF has these in stock , how long is the sale ? how wide is it ?
    Coupon says it's good till the 4th. Just noticed it says online that the price is with coupon. I think this link should get you the coupon.

Display

How wide. I would say 18 - 24" between the two arms? There's pics on the website showing it hooked up to an xtera. You can get a size reference there, not very big.

Two Bike Hitch Mount Bike Rack

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I had this rack and it worked...but personally I dont like it. It rattles and sways and the velcro straps fray easily. I wouldn't recommend it...

mtbr member
    Bringing this post back from the almost dead.
    Curious of long term reviews on these racks. Not a great design, but it's under $35 with a 20%. For the rare instance I'd need it to carry bikes (I have a truck), it would work. I think it would also work decent as a storage rack (flip the hitch rack backwards along with a simple wooden base) or use it as a ghetto workstand.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Bringing this post back from the almost dead.
    Curious of long term reviews on these racks. Not a great design, but it's under $35 with a 20%. For the rare instance I'd need it to carry bikes (I have a truck), it would work. I think it would also work decent as a storage rack (flip the hitch rack backwards along with a simple wooden base) or use it as a ghetto workstand.
    I still use it occasionally. Two biggest concerns long term are the straps, and rust. The straps which hold the bike down are connected to the rubber mounts which the bike rests on. After time where you loop the strap through becomes brittle and breaks. So, I just wrap the strap around the pole, and it holds fine. Also, I usually have them secured with a wire bike lock, which keeps them in place. Mine has started to show some surface rust in a couple areas, but I also stored it outside for over a year and I live in the rust belt.

With that said it's still holding up after several years. So, I would definitely recommend it for the occasional/budget minded user. Just make sure you do the noodle trick I mentioned above. First trip I took it on I didn't do this and the bikes shifted and rubbed the paint off in a couple areas.

Members who have read this thread: 1