Help with Yakima Highroller- Mtbr.com
    b a n n e d

Help with Yakima Highroller

So I just picked up a Yakima Highroller today after much debate. I already have the Forklift, but the new rig has a 15QR and this won't work w/o an adapter. Anyway, thats not the issue . . .

Installation was a snap until the end, but now I have an issue that preventing complete installation and use of the rack. The problem is with the two black plastic housings that snap on and hide the thumb screw's upfront and also provides support for the forward arm to keep it from going to far forward. In other words, the rack won't work without these pieces. I'm going to call Yakima tomorrow, as they are not open today, but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this issue . . .

Essentially, the tray is too close to the bar when the thumbscrews are tightened down, this prevents the front locking tab from clicking in place under the metal plate.

I'm thinking that I could trim/shave the clip, but I don't want to reduce the integrity. I also tried flipping the thumbscrews around to that I can put the housing on and THEN tighten it down, but it won't get as snug.

Grrr . . . . I've had great luck with Yakima, but as of late their engineering seems to be off.

Here is the gap:

And here is the tab that needs to fit in there somehow:

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Should be an easy fix

A simple solution may be to rotate your bar mounts 180 degrees. It will move your bike rack a few inches forward but then you'll be able to clip the two plates in easily. Depending on the type of car you have, it'll give you more clearance when opening a hatch or trunk too.

Edit: I don't have any pictures showing how my highrollers are mounted but if you go to yakima's site and zoom in on their highroller pic, you'll see what I mean by rotating the bar mounts 180 degrees.

b a n n e d
    I thought about that actually, but since the plate is all the way at the end of the tray, I think I would be facing the same issue, just at the other end of the car.

Okay . . . waaaaait a minute. NOW I get what you are saying . . .I think that will work brilliantly! Imma go try it now even though its dark out!

Back in 10 . . .

b a n n e d
    Worked like a charm . . . I had them backwards

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Worked like a charm . . . I had them backwards
    Good to hear you got it to work without trimming the two clips.

b a n n e d
    Yeah, its a bit less streamlined now (and if I am remembering correctly, the way I had them mounted was what the directions indicated).

However, I prefer function over form, and not having to trim the plastic pieces is a big plus. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    Yeah, its a bit less streamlined now (and if I am remembering correctly, the way I had them mounted was what the directions indicated).

However, I prefer function over form, and not having to trim the plastic pieces is a big plus. Thanks!
    Per your original pictures, you had the bar-mount snap-arounds backwards.

The snap-arounds always point/open towards the front wheel of your bike.

Make certain each baseplate cover is securely clipped-in, and fastened, at their 3 contact/secure points (front end clip, middle peg, rear end clip)....otherwise you run the risk of losing the baseplate cover.
    Last edited by Bambi19; 09-22-2010 at 01:28 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0