Help choosing rental vehicle for Moab- Mtbr.com
    Praise Bob

Help choosing rental vehicle for Moab

I will be in Moab in a few weeks and I am having trouble picking a suitable rental vehicle. I have to haul around 2 bikes so I thought a pickup truck would be most versatile but they are really expensive to rent. A small SUV is way cheaper but I need gaurantees that I can get two bikes and gear into one (e.g. XTerra, 4Runner etc).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Sorry for the cross post to the passion thread, but the appropriate forum doesnt get much traffic

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was in moab a few weeks ago and we rented a Subaru Forester. You can get two bikes in the back if you take the front wheel off.

Praise Bob

thank you

thats exactly the kind of info I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Minivan. You can fits the bikes in without disassembly.

Speedhubbing at last
    Are you flying in/out of Salt Lake City? I've organized several group biking trips to Moab originating from SLC, and we always use Rugged Rental (http://www.ruggedrental.com/) near the airport. Their vehicle selections always include bike and group friendly choices, and they have (or at least used to have) Sportworks style hitch racks for many of the vehicles to you can increase bike carrying versatility. Prices were almost always better than what Expedia/Orbitz quoted for the big corporate rental companies, and Jesse and his team always took great care of us with shuttles, maps, racks, etc.

One trip we rented a 4x4 4 door Dodge truck with a 4 bike hitch rack and a Jeep Liberty for shuttles (6+ riders), and my wife and I rented a Durango for our honeymoon in Moab.

-Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I will be in Moab in a few weeks and I am having trouble picking a suitable rental vehicle. I have to haul around 2 bikes so I thought a pickup truck would be most versatile but they are really expensive to rent. A small SUV is way cheaper but I need gaurantees that I can get two bikes and gear into one (e.g. XTerra, 4Runner etc).

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS Sorry for the cross post to the passion thread, but the appropriate forum doesnt get much traffic
    Marla -- the big tourist. The faker. With her there, I was a faker too. Her lie reflected my lie. And all of a sudden, I felt nothing. With her there, I couldn't cry. All I could do was ride.

New Jersey
    Anyone know if you can rent vehicles there if you're only 20? What about 19? I have heard it varies by region.

Members who have read this thread: 0