Help Choose a Vehicle- Mtbr.com
    I Crash Often
    Nov 2006

Help Choose a Vehicle

I have three criteria for a new vehicle and if you can shed some light onto the matter, I'd be super happy.

1) Must be under $18,000
    2) Must fare well in snow and icey conditions
    3) Fuel efficient

What would you purchase?

We're going down WHAT??

Something with all wheel drive....

You can buy an Audi or Subaru and those should fill the bill. A used one of either will do you well. The Audi with the 1.8 turbo is reasonably fuel efficient, so is the Forrester or the Impresa (sp?) You should give more info like, how many people will be in the car, 4-door, wagon, suv, etc.....
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jonsocal
    You can buy an Audi or Subaru and those should fill the bill. A used one of either will do you well. The Audi with the 1.8 turbo is reasonably fuel efficient, so is the Forrester or the Impresa (sp?) You should give more info like, how many people will be in the car, 4-door, wagon, suv, etc.....
    I'm looking for a car most likely. I'll normally carry 1-2 passengers including myself, but I also do alot of camping and outdoor activity so room for gear is important. I test drove a Imprezza which was nice, but it was a little out of my price range. I'll start browsing the ads to see what I find used.

Any other suggestions, post them up.

We're going down WHAT??

Still think a Subaru is in your future....

You can pick up a used Impreza Hatchback for very little cash. It has great traction, respectable gas mileage and stores most all of your stuff inside.
    They are ridiculously reliable too. If you pick one up, you will not be disappointed.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Aquaman
    I do not know which car you should get because getting a car is a very subjective to ones needs and wants. All I can suggest is what I did. Decide on a model or three that you like and be patient. Find one through a private party, who has been the single owner, has all the maintenance records (hopefully from a dealer), hope they live a very busy life, and then show up with cash in hand and low ball them. What the worst they can say no.

igoslo
    I bought a Honda Element back in June and have been extremely impressed with it's versatility. It fits two bikes inside with the wheels on and a couple more if further broken down.

1) Easy to find used within your price range, I paid just under 16 for my '04.
    2) It's AWD and does ok in adverse conditions, I'm partial to true 4WD over the passive system that Honda uses.
    3) Depends on what you consider fuel efficient, I get 25-27 on the highway 3-4 less in town. Better than the 4x4 Toyota that I used to drive but certainly not great.

mtbr member

mate

coming back from Copper on Sunday, traffic was stopped on the pass up to the tunnel on I70... it was snowing and accumulating, after 30 minutes when it was time to move hardly anyone could go! There was a jeep liberty behind us just spinning out and sliding from side to side, as was a Hummer and a Ford SUV I don't know the name of...my mate was driving his Impreza and we left everyone in our wake. When the faithful Camry gives up the ghost I'm getting an Impreza, there's a reason Subarus are so popular in Colorado, I've never seen a car handle the snow so well

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Pontiac Vibe w/ dedicated snow tires/wheels.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    chevy blazer it will be alittle older then you are most likely looking (stopped making them in 04) but you can get a loaded one with low miles (65000) for around 7k, but the 4.3 v6 in them runs forever, had one and it went 286k and then the company wanted new vans, plenty of pep and if you drive alright 24-26mpg hwy and 4 wheel high, low and 2 wheel untill slippage then 4 wheel kicks in, i love mine thought i would chip in, if you are looking for a car though i would go subaru impreza/outback/forester wagon very good cars in the snow, not quite 4 wheel drive but pretty close and about the same milage as my blazer a few better 28ish hwy i think

I Crash Often
    Nov 2006
    I'm considering a Subaru as of now. I currently live in Texas, but will be moving to Colorado in May. I've been there and noticed an number of Subarus around. I guess the saying "When in Rome" comes to mind. If it works for them...???

Wanderer
    I have the 1.8T motor and get about 23 mpg in pure city driving fyi.

Fun little motor for sure and TONS of info on the net about it.

I'd love to get better mpg but I was tired of not having a "fun" car.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    element

Steeeeeeve PERRY!
    You can get a crap ton of cars for 18,000. You could get a used: Nissan Xterra or Pathfinder. You could get a Honda CR-V or Pilot. You could get essentially any Subaru, Impreza, Forester, Outback, Legacy, or Baja. I would stray away from: Ford, Mercury, GMC, Dodge, Jeep, and any other American made "4x4." If I had some advice, I would try to find a used Subaru or Nissan. I've had both an Impreze WRX and a Nissan Xterra and both fit the bill really well for your price range and for your needs of an AWD car or SUV. Only downside to getting a Xterra or SUV is gas mileage...Unless you go with a CR-V from Honda. Those are my two cents.

Members who have read this thread: 0