Helmet storage on the road- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Helmet storage on the road

Hey guys,

I am looking for any creative solutions for storing helmets on the road.

A bit of background to assist...
    We are a family of 4 and at the start of next year we are doing a 16 week road trip, tenting around Australia. We are travelling with 4 bikes on an ISI carrier. We are not towing a trailer or van and space is at a premium. The vehicle is a Holden (Isuzu) Rodeo dual cab with custom canopy and we will be traveling with 2 x Kids Fullface Helmets, 1 x Super 2r and 1 x Skate style half shell...

Any suggestions are welcome as they are the thing I have the hardest time packing at the moment due to their awkward shape and relative bulk... I also need them protected and secure and don't want to be constantly shifting them out of the way...

What do you guys do with yours? Thanks in advance for the help

Rent this space for $
    Custom canopy...as in what us Americans would refer to as a fiberglass truck shell covering the pick up box? Could you set up a bracket system from the roof of the canopy and hang them up and out of the way? I installed a series of 2" diameter rings all across the roof of my shell that I could suspend things from to keep them out of the way. I also attached an elastic cargo net across the roof inside to tuck other items in. Makes it easy to get to things that you might need regularly without having to dig through or move all your other supplies. Maybe a series of hammock like cargo nets would serve the purpose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Thanks for the quick reply mate

Not a fibreglass shell... A fibreglass roof with tarpaul sides... It houses our fold out kitchen on the road as well as fridges, tent, chairs, table, beds sleeping bags, barbecue, lp bottle, tools and more...

The rings are a good idea, we are usually packed to the roof in the back with the helmets jammed in whereever they fit... I will have to see if there is room to hang them while still fitting everything in underneath...

Here is a pic of the truck to give you an idea... We are going away for the weekend so I will take a couple of loaded inside pics tomorrow night... Also, when we travel, the roof rack is full of clothes, shoes, recovery gear, water, oil, solar panels and spare tyre...

Anyone have any other ideas? I'm looking for options and the more the better...

oh Lucky me
    clip them onto the toptube of the helmets respective bike? under the backseat? if camelbak's are in play, attach them to the hydro carrier and store them wherever those will be stored?
    ...Dying is the easy part, its living that's the challenge...