Have roof rack , now going to hitch rack; I'll tell you why.....--->- Mtbr.com
    Tossin the salad.

Have roof rack , now going to hitch rack; I'll tell you why.....--->

Late last night I purchased a Thule Big Mouth bike rack for my Subaru Mont Blanc roof rack. It all installed well .

This evening my son and I was coming back from some trails and as I made a U-Turn I heard a metal noise. I was like what the he**!!!! My son looks up through the sunroof and said that the front roof rack was shifting around.

I made it home safely and honestly it was the rack that gave away. The Thule Big Mouth keeping the rack in track I would of lost my bikes into that U-turn I made.

I also lost the part the clamp that holds the roof rack in place. Mont Blanc seems like a PITA to get parts for.

Anyways I totally took everything off and will be returning the Thule Big Mouth bike rack back to REI tomorrow morning.

What I decide to do is get a rear hitch installed and get a T2 bike rack. Plus it going to be the cheaper route anyways.

Well here is the piece I lost (bottom clip on left side thats stuck in the window is what I lost on the other side )

Bye bye rack... hello rear hitch

Derailleurless
    Scare tactics.

I'm all for your choice of hitch rack. The T2 is a great hitch rack and you'll eliminate wind noise through the sunroof from the cross bars. Plus your car will look nicer.

But honestly... first day out with the new roof rack, and cross bars that Subaru uses world-wide (or at least in the US and European markets) and you're ready to blame IT (the rack), and not, say, user installation error? Honestly, there would be bikes and cargo boxes littering the highways, a couple of lawsuits, and a recall if they popped off that easily.

Roof racks and hitch racks each have their pros and cons, some of which are vehicle-dependent. I continue to use both on my Legacy wagon, depending on the situation. On the sedan, I think you'll be more than happy with the T2 plugged into a trailer hitch.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Tossin the salad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate

But honestly... first day out with the new roof rack, and cross bars that Subaru uses world-wide (or at least in the US and European markets) and you're ready to blame IT (the rack), and not, say, user installation error? Honestly, there would be bikes and cargo boxes littering the highways, a couple of lawsuits, and a recall if they popped off that easily.
    Your probably right about user installation. I got the car w/ this rack already on it. Funny thing is, if you search on Mont Blanc is seems that I could not even find one to fit a 00 LGT. I'm thinking it probably is not really made for my vehicle and if it was and the original owner had it, I am sure he used it for something b/c of the marks it had on the load bar itself. Anyways I did re-tighten all the mounts prior to installing the Thule big mouth. Not sure, but I think when I made the u-turn and it probably unclipped due to the weight and force? Oh well... I really don't blame myself. I did secure it. I'm just thinking that this mount is not made for my vehicle . I'm glad our bikes made it safe an no one behind me got hurt or car damage

-- But since you have both options which one do you prefer? Roof or Hitch?

I can say that when they were on the roof it felt like they were not even on my car and I did not see any MPG loss and I did go high speeds of 80mph and it cruised like it was nothing.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by TX_Shifter
    -- But since you have both options which one do you prefer? Roof or Hitch?

I can say that when they were on the roof it felt like they were not even on my car and I did not see any MPG loss and I did go high speeds of 80mph and it cruised like it was nothing.
    I use both and currently favor the roof, but I do maintain a list of pros and cons in my head. You can figure each "con" is a "pro" in the other category.

Roof Cons:
    - Noiser. Noticable with a sunroof.
    - Reduced fuel economy at freeway speeds.
    - Potential to hit something (low overhangs, drive-thru, tree branch).
    - Smashed bug collection on longer road trips.
    - Harder to load on taller vehicles (not a problem for me & my Legacy).

Hitch Cons:
    - Rear ender fodder. 2-3 bikes really obscures brake and tail lights.
    - Gets in the way of my lift gate, loaded or empty & stowed (no problem on sedan).
    - Reduced ground clearance in lower cars; scrapes driveways.
    - A little cumbersome to have to remove all the time (if you choose to do so).
    - Sense of unease if parked in a lot, even just for a quick coffee run.

My roof racks are front-wheel on types, so loading is equally easy to a Thule T2. If I had a tall SUV, I'd probably prefer a hitch rack. For longer road trips, I've picked the hitch over the roof for the gas savings. But day to day, my roof racks are on top and ready to go, so they're even more convenient than a hitch.

You've got a pretty good idea of what's a priority to you, and which factors don't matter. Based on that, there are lots of reasons to prefer one over the other.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Tossin the salad.
    ^^^^

Thanks for your thoughts

I think I will contact Subaru and see if they can relocated the clip for me

I think I will just use the roof-rack just to strap my cargo bag when traveling. Then use a hitch type mount rack for bike / snowboard transportation.

Plus I am only 5'-7" which I still can load our bikes easily on the roof due to my strong throwing QB arm which really is not hard to load or unload them (was very easy), but I lack the feeling of security if it was to happen again. I don't think I want this to happen again. Plus if I take my bike to work I drive through a security garage and it will stink to park my ride out in the visitor parking lot all the time.

Well... off I go to REI for a return

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    my biggest reason for no roof rack - other than the likelihood of eventually destroying your bikes going into a garage/pking deck/other overhang - is because i've gotten two speeding tickets on separate occasions because the cops saw the roof-mounted bikes as i was cresting hills long before i saw them...
    ride fast...take chances...

mtbr member
    LOL. It don't matter m8, when you see em, your already shot...

Members who have read this thread: 0