Have Reduced Your Fuel Dependency?- Mtbr.com
    banned

Have Reduced Your Fuel Dependency?

Was just wondering what your threshold is for gasoline pricing before you reduce your driving or pick something more economical.

Unfortunately, SUV's and other non-economical vehicles are still proliferating.

Myself, I've reduced my driving and combined trips because I'm getting killed. My car is very economical, but I unfortunately have to drive some distances in traffic through the urban sprawl.

Fortunately, I'm working towards losing my dependence on driving altogether with a move that I'm looking to base around not needing a car for 99% of my life. The car will be reserved only for bigger trips to the supermarket and for weekend trips to see family, but nothing more.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, I lengthened the wastegate arm because the turbo was spooling up way too fast and spiking a bit. Saves me gas too.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Hahahaa...plumbed vacuum to the WG permanently, right?

mtbr member
    I try to combine and reduce my trips to the store. I'm thinking about getting a motorcycle next year if I'm still working at the same place. Right now its 38 miles a day(round trip) to work. I'm thinking about changing jobs and working in the same city where I live, if that happens, I'll get a road bike and commute, which will be about 8 miles a day.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hahahaa...plumbed vacuum to the WG permanently, right?

No, you don't want that. I think that makes it go way crazy.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

PULL
    It's not that bad..... I just threw 8 756cc injectors on the fun car. The price of 110 has been over 5.50 for a few years. It has been around 7 something the past year.

I'm the same page otherwise. I have been driving 100 miles a day, in my daily driver truck, 4 days a week. Come December, I can now ride my bike to work..... ahhhh yes.... fat pockets for lunch again!!!!

I always felt bad riding on the train going the same distance. 4 gallons in my truck vs. 2,000 gallons a day on the train.

mtbr member
    I felt the pinch two years ago. My 80 mile round trip commute in my Tundra was killing me. Due to my hours commuting and public transportation are not an option. I picked myself up a Jetta TDI. 45+ mpg and lovin' it!

Bikeoholic
    well actually, I just greatly increased by fuel dependancy by buying a car. I moved to San Diego 6 months ago and made it till last weekend without a car (I actually biked everywhere including 12 miles each way to work). However, my lack of a car was really killing my ability to make it to trail heads or ever head to races so I had to break down and buy one. I ended up getting a 08 Toyota Matrix I have to say I'm lovin it.

At the same time I'm still riding a van pool to work so thats kinda nice and free I'm going to try to get it down to filling up once every two weeks.
    -Palek
    Ride Today...
    ...You might not be able to tomorrow

Former Bike Wrench
    I switched Jobs that reduced my daily commute from 100 miles to 10 miles. I would ride, but I have to cross the Columbia river on a very narrow bridge full of large pieces of bark from all the logging trucks that drive over it. And living on the Washington side of the bridge puts me smack dab in the middle of Meth central.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by centerridgerider
    well actually, I just greatly increased by fuel dependancy by buying a car. I moved to San Diego 6 months ago and made it till last weekend without a car (I actually biked everywhere including 12 miles each way to work). However, my lack of a car was really killing my ability to make it to trail heads or ever head to races so I had to break down and buy one. I ended up getting a 08 Toyota Matrix I have to say I'm lovin it.

At the same time I'm still riding a van pool to work so thats kinda nice and free I'm going to try to get it down to filling up once every two weeks.
    I don't see any problem in how you went. You needed a car and got a practical, fuel efficient one and then pool to work. That's how it should be, but we became too independent, the core of this independence was a seemingly endless supply of cheap oil products.

mtbr member

Yup

Bought a Mini Cooper for my wife in August. Keep away from the "S" so we could get
    40+mpg highway. We use the car for longer trips whenever practical, which is most of the time for us. I keep the Subaru for driving the 5 miles to the station and winter trips or for when I just need a wagon to haul something. My wife works about 4 miles from home.

I've been a user of mass transit or a car pooler for about 25 years and never owned a "real" gas guzzler until we got the Subaru last year and even that does not compare to the mpg on the large SUV's. Even when gas was really inexpensive, I drove small 4-cylinder cars with maual shifts just for the pure joy of driving them.

You can raise two boys with lots of toys and sporting equipment and do all the travel you want in a hatchback if you have a little imagination and don't over-pack. Never could see a reason for a mini van or the like.

group W bench member
    After watching the Al Gore movie the wife and I decided to make the change. I'm not sold that environmental doom is upon us, but if millions of people might be displaced in my lifetime because of climate change I would feel foolish doing nothing.We sold a honda element (24 mpg) to buy a prius ( 45 mpg).Then we sold the wrangler (18 mpg) to buy the cooper ( 41 mpg) Saving about $250/month in gas by making green choices and we couldn't be happier about it.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

ballbuster

How about...

$0.00?

I'm always trying to use less gas. I stopped using my roof racks, started driving closer to the speed limit, started bike commuting more.

I was browsing Craigslist for Honda Insights just last night. I talked about it with the wife, and we really need more than a two seater with the kid and all. Looks like there is no aftermarket trailer hitch for it, either... so no bike rack.

I'd think about a Prius if it had a stick. I might just have to give up my stickshift.

"El Whatever"
    I'm worsening...

I had no car at all one year ago and to be honest, I was happy. I used public transportation and used to ride to the trailhead.

Now I have a car... My old, trusty VW Golf 1.8... But it's carburated (not even Fuel Injection, no cat converter) and has poor gas mileage for a car its size.

We barely go through a fuel tank over a week. That's around 10 gallons a week, which sits me back around 30 bucks. That includes my wife's commuting, my ride's commuting (when I ride) and family's errands to the supermarket and such.

I didn't have the money to pay for it, so now I have debt with the bank. It's old and used, so it has always something to get fixed.

So... in the economic side of things... it sucks. I should've have sucked it up and bought a new one, with a smaller engine... But at any rate, that would be almost as expensive.

However, in my case, I feel quiet now my wife doesn't have to use public transportation or walk in the area she works at (industrial park, not good police surveillance and lots of trailer truck drivers)... not to mention having to grab a cab on the street when she picks up our kid at the daycare, etc.

So in the overall balance, it was worthy.

My next car will be something really small...

I was eyeing at the Fiat Panda (1.2lt engine), as it's small but has decent room for the three of us.

Rumour on the street is that Mexican Government is giving incentives for smaller engines on cars. I can't remember if it was price-wise or if it was something related with lesser emission tests on these small engines. I have to check it out.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    it's been 5 years since I owned a car...I do miss driving sometimes...but i can commute by bus or bike for less than 20 minutes and am 10 minutes away by foot from the town center...no real need for a car

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    it's been 5 years since I owned a car...I do miss driving sometimes...but i can commute by bus or bike for less than 20 minutes and am 10 minutes away by foot from the town center...no real need for a car
    That's what I'm looking forward to

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    That's what I'm looking forward to
    Yes, sir!

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Was just wondering what your threshold is for gasoline pricing before you reduce your driving or pick something more economical.
    Probably around $20/gal or so.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I use less gas now since beginning riding. I drive my craptacular 97 plymouth neon to work as often as possible in place of my 04 F150. Actually, I only drive my truck to trailheads nowadays....

More money for MTBike goodies.

PULL
    Should of done your homework before you bought a Prius. Ouch!!!!

Building a Toyota Prius causes more environmental damage than a Hummer that is on the road for three times longer than a Prius.

https://clubs.ccsu.edu/Recorder/edit...asp?NewsID=188

ever seen what a nickel mine does to the land?

New Jersey
    Ouch! I didn't know that about the Prius. Now I do. Such a shame; because I was considering buying one.

ballbuster

Disproven

I read that study. There are holes you can drive a Hummer through. Conclusions are jumped to, and the info looked pretty cherry picked to me. It has not been peer reviewed before puiblication. Do a Google search on it, and there are many references to this article's BSedness (heh, I just made that word up!). Notice at the top of the article that is it not science, but 'Editorial and Commentary'?

It said a Prius is only good for 100k miles where the Hummer is good for 300k miles, which is total BS. Heck, the battery warranty on a Prius is 150k miles. They totally pulled those numbers out of thier asses.

They also factored in the R&D costs. Being that a Hummer H2 is just a rebadged Tahoe with a different body, R&D is not much. I'm not even sure GM changed the V8 short block since the 80s. They factored in the 8 years of development of a totally new drivetrain and battery system for the Prius.

Did you notice that the study you refer to is done by a marketing company?

mtbr member
    I'd really like to reduce my dependency, but not sure where I can. I live 15 miles from town, but only 2 miles from work. I've been riding my '80 Honda Express (90 MPG) when I can to work, but if I go to town I take the truck (15 - 20 mpg) because the wife has the Accord (I can't get better than 26 mpg) and the clutch is out on my SVO (? mpg on premium). Most of the time when I go to town it's for work so I don't pay for the fuel. I still need to get a bike rack for her car though, any good ones for an '01 Accord?

Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    The price of 110 has been over 5.50 for a few years. It has been around 7 something the past year.
    Dang, it's still right at $5 a gallon here and about $6 for 112 (Sunoco).
    Craig

mtbr member
    I have a new Honda Civic which gets pretty good mpg, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as independent of my car as I probably should be. Most of this has to do with having a job that has me driving all over the state, has no set 9-5 type hours, and requires me to bring stuff that isn't easy to transport on a bike. I try to plan my trips and consolidate my errands as much as I can (big supermarket trips only once a week or so, etc.), but I know I could do more to incorporate cycling into my daily life. Living in the car-centric suburbs sucks sometimes. Everything is just so spread out.

she keep you buying rats
    I'm self-employed (internet) and have worked from home for 9 years. Sometimes I'll go weeks without even starting the engine in my car. (In my former life I used to drive 300mi+ per week)

Nat
    mtbr member
    I have not. Actually I'm driving more than ever just because I like the turbo boost. I don't know if I have a gas price threshold.

PULL
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot

Did you notice that the study you refer to is done by a marketing company?
    I couldn't find the first one I saw a few weeks ago. The first time I read about it was on CNN.

Quote Originally Posted by mokancraig

Dang, it's still right at $5 a gallon here and about $6 for 112 (Sunoco).
    Man that must be nice!!! They kill us for high end stuff here in california....

tl1
    Bicyclist

It's wishful thinking...

Quote Originally Posted by f2f4
    Ouch! I didn't know that about the Prius. Now I do. Such a shame; because I was considering buying one.
    ...perpetuated by by wistful SUV drivers yearning for the good old days of cheap gasoline. The hybrid myths have all been debunked one by one.

Given current trends, there will be more than one million hybrid gas-electric vehicles on American roads by late 2007 or early 2008. Many will celebrate reaching the milestone of one million hybrids zipping around on power from their rechargeable batteries—and burning a lot less petroleum. But some environmentally motivated car buyers are concerned about trading one problem for another. They worry that a hybrid utopia might turn into a toxic nightmare when the nickel metal hydride batteries in today's hybrids end up in landfills.

After all, aren't all car batteries —conventional lead acid and hybrid batteries alike—filled with the same nasty corrosive carcinogenic ooze?
    According to environmental researchers, that's not the case. Jim Kliesch, author of the "Green Book: The Environmental Guide to Cars and Trucks" told HybridCars.com, "There are many types of batteries. Some are far more toxic than others. While batteries like lead acid or nickel cadmium are incredibly bad for the environment, the toxicity levels and environmental impact of nickel metal hydride batteries—the type currently used in hybrids—are much lower."
    http://www.hybridcars.com/battery-toxicity.html

Over the past year, there has been an explosion of stories raising questions about the real environmental cost of hybrids.

One of the most misleading ones, which has been spread by countless blogs over the past several weeks, and cited without verification by several sources that appear reputable, looks to have originated in a story last November in England's Daily Mail, a right-leaning, British tabloid paper, which bore the gleefully spiteful title 'Toyota factory turns landscape to arid wilderness.' An editorial, published last month in a newspaper for a small state university on the East Coast, helped bring this misleading report a new life.

But it isn't a Toyota factory at all. The automaker has, in fact, only been purchasing significant amounts of nickel from the Sudbury , Ontario , Inco mine for its batteries in recent years, while the environmental disaster the headline is referring to largely occurred more than thirty years ago.

And that ore is at the core of a semi-urban legend that leads to dumb headlines like "HUMMER Greener than Prius," and others we've seen recently.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...96.A12220.html

ballbuster

Don't just think about driving

Unfortunately, SUV's and other non-economical vehicles are still proliferating.

Myself, I've reduced my driving and combined trips because I'm getting killed. My car is very economical, but I unfortunately have to drive some distances in traffic through the urban sprawl.

Fortunately, I'm working towards losing my dependence on driving altogether with a move that I'm looking to base around not needing a car for 99% of my life. The car will be reserved only for bigger trips to the supermarket and for weekend trips to see family, but nothing more.
    Industry uses a lot more energy than cars. Think about what you buy. Everything you buy has to come from somewhere, and go somewhere when you're done with it.

Buy quality stuff that is locally made, that last a long time so you won't have to toss it and replace it... making more waste.

Try to buy less cheap disposable crap from China. Buy locally grown and manufacured stuff to cut the impact of transportation. Think about how much fuel it takes to put a 1 pound whatever on a ship and/or truck and drag it all the way over here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoManerz
    Man that must be nice!!! They kill us for high end stuff here in california....
    Ah, I see the problem...
    Craig

New Jersey
    '80 Honda Express (90 MPG)
    Good grief, where can I find a car like that?
    90 MPG is so awesome; it's practically obscene.

Or is that a car? ...Is it a motorcycle?
    /me googles

mtbr member
    Yes. Now, I'm only willing to take work if:
    I can telecommute, ride my bike to work, walk to work, OR the employer pays for my traveling expenses.
    Fortunately, my current gigs are:
    Trail Ranger (Luckily, I live at the base of the trailhead so I can walk, bike or run to "work")
    Mountainbiking coach/instructor (The "classroom" is 2 miles from my house, all downhill).
    Part time consultant for the City of Boise (2 mile walk or ride from my house).
    My truck/car still gets used for grocery hauling, long road trips however and to get to trailheads that are further away...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f2f4
    Good grief, where can I find a car like that?
    90 MPG is so awesome; it's practically obscene.

Or is that a car? ...Is it a motorcycle?
    /me googles
    More like a moped, 49cc's of raging Honda can only move about 25 with my lard butt on it...
    Craig

ballbuster

Heh...

More like a moped, 49cc's of raging Honda can only move about 25 with my lard butt on it...
    ... when I was 15, I had an '80 Honda Passport wtih a bent fork. It would do about 50 on a flat stretch of open road in a full aero tuck.

PULL
    ... when I was 15, I had an '80 Honda Passport wtih a bent fork. It would do about 50 on a flat stretch of open road in a full aero tuck.
    Must of been a nice tail wind.

jrm
    mtbr member

i only drive between 2 and 4 days a week

Otherwise i ride or take transit

"El Whatever"
    I almost literally destroyed my dad's Vespa-Carabela 50cc's... It couldn't take much of mellow MTB use.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I used to have a Passport, it was pretty well worn out and would only run about 40. Of course they have 20cc's more than an Express and are 4 stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    I almost literally destroyed my dad's Vespa-Carabela 50cc's... It couldn't take much of mellow MTB use.
    I used to beat on another Express I had like that, never gave me a lick of problem. Maybe that's the difference between Japanese and Italian engineering?
    Craig

Drunken fool
    Industry uses a lot more energy than cars. Think about what you buy. Everything you buy has to come from somewhere, and go somewhere when you're done with it.

Buy quality stuff that is locally made, that last a long time so you won't have to toss it and replace it... making more waste.

Try to buy less cheap disposable crap from China. Buy locally grown and manufacured stuff to cut the impact of transportation. Think about how much fuel it takes to put a 1 pound whatever on a ship and/or truck and drag it all the way over here.
    That is something major that many/most people don't take into consideration. The lure of the cheap initial purchase price is too atractive.
    On topic, I don't think I have a fuel price point that will keep me from driving less than I do now. I've been commuting to work for several years now, for other trips we have our TDI. I also have a nice big honkin full size truck for hauling and chores..Bought new 4 years ago and only has 13k now. It's paid off and I feel no need to justify it. Despite what someone drives and how much fuel it burns, if they can afford to pay for it and fuel it, let 'em drive it. It's not my business or desire to verbally abuse someone for their choice in vehicles.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Yup, changed our commuter vehicle from an early 90's Jeep YJ to an 06 Civic. Much cheaper and a lot more comfortable.

Also want to change our 2nd vehicle that is used for road trips, camping and trips to Home Depot.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I recently purchased a Subaru Impreza to replace my Hemi Ram. I also started the old push mower again this year instead of the riding mower.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    MoparTodd reminded me about the yard machines. I also replaced a 2 stroke gas mower and weed eater with electrics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat
    I have not. Actually I'm driving more than ever just because I like the turbo boost. I don't know if I have a gas price threshold.
    I'm doing all I can to make a bigger "carbon footprint". I hate snow, and cold weather. Fvck the grandkids, I'm cold now.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    I have reduced a lot. I commute to work on my bicycle 5 days a week. I can use less than 10 gal of gas a month. I sold my Miata for a used Honda Insight. I'm looking forward to doubling my MPG to 60 or 70.

I use to ride motorcycles a lot, but now I just bike. I pick rides that leave from my house so I dont have to turn a perfectly green hobby like cycling into a polluting one by driving to the start of the ride dragging a bike through the air.

I bought a condo that is smaller then the last place I rented and its much more efficient. Thanks to CFLs and turning off power leaking transformers, I us about 6 KWH a day or 35$ a month for the utility bill (house of 2). I don't run AC and I still have not turned on the heater.

Other junk: I grow tomato's and peppers, I have a compost heap, I dont use bottled water and I don't eat red meat often.

Coors, the american beer.
    way to not go past page 1 the whole article

To compare, the Toyota Prius involves $3.25 per mile in energy costs over its lifetime, according to CNW, while several full-size SUVs scored lower. A Dodge Viper involves only $2.18 in energy per mile over its lifetime. The Range Rover Sport costs $2.42, and the Cadillac Escalade costs $2.75.

"If a consumer is concerned about fuel economy because of family budgets or depleting oil supplies, it is perfectly logical to consider buying high-fuel-economy vehicles, said Art Spinella, president of CNW, in a release. "But if the concern is the broader issues such as environmental impact of energy usage, some high-mileage vehicles actually cost society more than conventional or even larger models over their lifetime
    back to what this thread is actually about .... ive only used 4 tanks of gas since august.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

mtbr member
    I put 3,000 kms on my car over the last year....I just went through emissions so the number is verified. On the down side I have a 2003 F-150 for a work truck that does a minimum for 150 kms a day. But I don't pay for the fuel and its unavoidable....tools don't carry them selves.

Members who have read this thread: 0