Hauling a bike across Canada- Mtbr.com
    Huckin' trails

Hauling a bike across Canada

I'm looking to bring my bike(s) along my trip from Montreal to BC and concerned about the 5 000km drive if I hit bad weather and possible snow remnants in the Rockies. I'd like to get some sort of sheltering for the bikes on the hitch rack, to protect from road gravel, possible road salt and snow as well as keeping them clean as I'll have to bring them up in a condo once I arrive in Vancouver and I really don't want to have to detail the bikes on arrival after driving for a week and having to unpack everything.

I'm hoping to cover the drivetrain and the suspension/linkages as well as the handlebar and saddle from weather elements and perhaps wrap the frame and fork in protective bubble wrap or something that will protect from chipping and road rash, as well as making the bikes less theft ready even tho they'll be chained and locked.

Anyone done some of the sort ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

since 4/10/2009
    That sort of thing is tough to do on a hitch rack. Good chance that whatever you put on will catch the wind, and that has all sorts of implications with things flapping around, tearing loose, etc. It's stuff like this that makes me glad when I can carry my bike inside my vehicle.

I am considering a pickup truck for my next vehicle, and thinking hard about a camper shell for it so I can put bikes and other gear inside it. I'm kinda tired of how I've trashed the interior of my little car in the decade + I've been throwing bikes inside it.

Now, especially, since almost every trailhead requires traveling down some kind of gravel road. The wife's Subie is built to handle that stuff, but my little Honda definitely isn't. Had to have the suspension redone once already in that car.

mtbr member
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Huckin' trails
    I have decent experience hauling stuff down including bikes, tires and even a kitchen oven on a hitch rack, so obviously I'm concerned with wind resistance and things flapping around. I won't have room to spare inside my small car (Yaris Hatchback) because I'll be loaded with cargo, but it's still a roomy car for one. Off-road isn't a problem with this car either.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    That's what I was thinking about tbh. It's pretty tough if done right and might be able to cut some holes in it to let air thru the front triangle, etc. it's just the environmental waste that bothers me with plastic wrap.

mtbr member
    Wrap your drivetrain and brakes & rotors.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    That's what I was thinking about tbh. It's pretty tough if done right and might be able to cut some holes in it to let air thru the front triangle, etc. it's just the environmental waste that bothers me with plastic wrap.
    I start by wrapping the top tube, then continue around the bike, wrapping through the main triangle to keep it open. Handling the bike while wrapped easier when it's done like that.

I recycle my plastics, no worries re: the environment.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

Huckin' trails
    Anyone recommending a trustworthy hitch rack for two bikes ?

Looking at the tray style ones, ideally for a 1-1/4" receiver (I can do 2" on an adapter tho), under $200 with a backward tilt design to be able to pop the hatch without removing the bikes, and that is built good enough to not worry about doing 10 000km to 20 000km in one continuous loaded use on highways and less nicer roads. Ideally not too heavy, but the important bit is feeling confident about the bikes being secured on such a long trip. A padlock slot for the vertical hold down arm is also desired.

I have a cheap one for 2 bikes, but the horizontal arms are bending downward and the trays are cheap and bending inward at the bracket, and since I always strap the frames and wheels to both the car and the carrier, it only makes it worst.

Both bikes are 26", less than 35lbs each.

I've seen a few online, but could hardly find reviews that outlined all of the points I brought above instead of just one or two.

To be bought/delivered in Montreal, Canada.

Thanks !

Hauling a bike across Canada-img_1280.jpg

Huckin' trails
    Today I went at my former bike shop where I used to work and checked out for the Saris Freedom EX2. I'm waiting on confirmation for both price and delivery date from the manager. If it doesn't work out, I have a deal for a Swagman Chinook new from a local reseller.

Still unsure if I'm gonna haul the Surly or just buy a city bike in Vancouver instead.

Less than 20 days before departure, it's getting real.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey David,

There are lot of great used bikes here in Vancouver. Pinkbike has you covered for that

If it were me and was only driving to Vancouver and not planning to ride in any stops along the way I would

Remove the following

Brake rotors & Pads
    Chain, Cassette

Everything else will be fine..tbh if it were me...I wouldnt even remove any of it..its not like we dont ride through slop & dirt on our bikes

Huckin' trails
    Thanks.

I'm more worried about the road dirt finding its way to the darkest places of the bikes, where it usually doesn't get to from riding trails, and also that it can get spray, bake by the sun, etc and cake up and needing a detailing job. Also I'd like to arrive with the bikes as clean as possible since I'll be bringing them up the condo and I don't want to spend too much time on cleaning them up while I have a lot of things to unpack and after driving for a week, and i don't have access to all the amenities like I have at home to care for the bikes.

I'm not worried about the drivetrain and brakes, but rather about covering the linkages, cockpit, seat and suspension parts. I think I have pretty much everything figured out, thanks to having several weeks to get things under way.

Huckin' trails
    Yikes, less than 10 days to go, got the bike rack today, and after seeing a pic of another Surly Troll (my commuter is a Troll), I'm once again thinking about bringing both bikes. The Saris Freedom EX2 rack I just bought is pretty nice too, but the bikes sit a lot higher than the tray style one I was using, blocking my rear view even more. Good thing I'm installing a rear view camera on top of the rear hatch so I can get both a view and a recording of behind the car.

Hauling a bike across Canada-img_2457.jpg

Huckin' trails
    It worked great ! A little too much bounce from the side to side play in the tilt pivot for my taste when going over uneven pavement on the highway, but it doesn't seem to have more play than before after driving across the country.

Hauling a bike across Canada-dsc_0008_web.jpg