Hatchbacks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hatchbacks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hatchbacks

Hi guys, I have done some searches, but many seem filled with old info. on this topic.

I am currently looking for a vehicle to use as a daily commuter (80-90 miles/day currently) that can also haul some bikes inside (ideally). I would like to be able to carry two bikes inside, with seats folded and front wheels off.

My criteria for the vehicle:
    32+ highway - more the better
    under $20k
    automatic...w/ tiptronic would be nice (Girlfriend wont drive stick )
    semi sporty would be nice too
    oh and 4 door.. "seats 5"

I would like to be able to store 2 bikes inside for security, and also for economy purposes. I have a group I'd like to ride with at work and bringing the bike on the roof/hitch would make a little less convenient. A hitch rack would be my next on the list of options, but this would require modification and more spent on the vehicle.

I am looking at new 2012's right now, but am open to scouting Craigslist if other affordable options come up.

I am considering: in order of personal interest (price/features and warranty being important)
    Kia Forte 5 door EX - very curious about this one
    Mazda 3 I touring (hatch)
    Ford Focus SE (hatch)
    VW Golf 4 Door

If anyone has a similar sized vehicle or can really convince me on a hitch mount rack, I would love to consider it.

And Pictures would be a help too!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not sure if you can do this with the newest ones but toyota matrix/pontiac vibe. They have a track system in the back that you can bolt fork mounts too and fit two mtn bikes easy with the front wheel and seat removed. Plus it is all plastic back there so it is easy to clean up.

I stole somebody's pic since I don't have one of mine. He actually has another pic showing 2 mtn and 2 road bikes in the back at the same time.

http://forums.mtbr.com/car-biker/doe...ar-587136.html
    A whole thread you might find interesting.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Out of your choices Mazda 3 with 2.0l Skyactive may not be a bad choice.
    I am driving 2.5l version and love it, Skyactive is getting great reviews and has really nice mpg...

I'm using hitch and Thule Doubletrack rack on mine but interior with seat down with haul two bikes easily...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hatchbacks-photo.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, I will happily second the Mazda 3 Skyactiv. I currently own 2 3s. a 2010 5 door sport (wife's car with the 2.5L) and a brand new 2012 Mazdaspeed3 (brand new meaning I just bought it Saturday). On road trips in my wife's car, we ran from 29-32mpg all day long. The car is fun to drive, very versatile and is easy on the eyes. Take the new Skyactiv set up that gets GREAT mileage, and I think you would have a winner for highway driving.

I need to order a hitch for my Speed so I can get my bike on the back....
    2018 Santa Cruz Hightower CC
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey Ops (commuter, gravel, fun))

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'll third the vote for a 3 SkyActiv, I also drive one. On a recent road trip, two friends and I went on an impromptu camping trip. One car, three bodies and a load of camping gear hauled it a round trip of 576km (357mi) doing 120km/h (74mph) on the highway, I averaged 6.8L/100km (34.6mpg). My current range is between 28mpg and 50mpg, pending conditions and weight of right foot xD

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I am impressed by the Mazda support here! If I had my choice completely I'd probably go with the 3 with 2.0 Skyactiv, 6 speed. Unfortunately, as I said above I will most likely be shopping for an automatic, which puts the sticker price at 20,500-21,000 I believe. My dad is a vet, so I have access to USAA auto shopping discounts which is making a major impact on my shopping... Hence my consideration of a Kia at all.

Forte EX 5 Dr MSRP: $18,300 USAA: $16,562 Delivered
    Mazda 3 i Touring MSRP: $20,105 USAA: $19,796 Delivered

So... being a recent grad money is a pretty big factor right now. Anyone here own one of the redesigned Kia's.. like last 3 years I believe?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    VW Golf TDI for the win!

Just bought one and love it. Was all set to get a Mazada 3 hatchback until we test drove the TDI. More power, far better mpg, handles better, nicer fit and finish, and all scheduled maintenance is free. The initial cost is a bit more than the Mazada but when you look at the 5 year cost of ownership numbers is actually cheaper. And the automatic comes with a dual clutch paddle shifter setup on the steering wheel.

I have been averaging 47 to 50 mpg since we bought it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Yeah I'd love a tdi.. about 8 grand out of the budget for a new one though and the used ones seem to have 200k miles on them

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerocker1 View Post
    Yeah I'd love a tdi.. about 8 grand out of the budget for a new one though and the used ones seem to have 200k miles on them
    8 grand? The Mazada 3 hatch we almost bought listed for $22000 and the dealer agreed on $20,000. My TDI listed for $26,500 and I walked out the door @ $24,000 (invoice).

Don't even think about a pre 2010 used TDI. The high pressure deisel pump had issues and if / when it goes it a monster repair bill, upwards of $6000 to $7000. The 2010 and newer TDIs have a different deisel pump and VW give a very long warranty on the part to make people feel safe considering the past issues.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    and I walked out the door @ $24,000 (invoices.
    At what interest rate, and that was after license and taxes?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I am guessing that didn't include TTL... most people don't include that when they say "Sticker was $XXXXX but I got it for $XXXXX."
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    anyways I would like to come in at a price of 18,000 or lower..

I am looking for used options on a mazda 3 currently

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Under 18 is tough for a good sized new car, but easy on used. FWIW, my wife drives a 2010 2.5L 3 hatchback (yes, we have 2 3s in the family) and she gets ~28mpg in her normal commuting to and from work, so it may not be Skyactiv level, but it is really respectable!
    2014 Trek Domane 4.0

mtbr member
    Check out the Chevy Sonic with the optional 1.4 turbo. We are averaging 36-38mpg in mixed driving (60% hwy, 40% city). Cargo room is surprisingly good with the seats down but it may be a squeeze with two bikes depending on how large those bikes are.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have the Kia Forte 5. Its a good car. I can get 36 on the highway going 70. I typically get around 30 on a tank with mixed driving. Its a tight fit getting them in the car but once in you can easily fit 3 bikes with 3 people in it comfortably.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Forgot picture
    Note: That is only 2 bikes not 3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hatchbacks-imag0418.jpg  

Hatchbacks-imag0419.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank, schimtty that is pretty much what I am looking for! 36 highway would be what I am getting now (or better) in my parents elantra that I am borrowing. You have the EX correct? SX would probably be lower mpg...

Right now my driving is probably 80-90% hwy

And how do you like the build quality of the interior?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yes I have the ex. You will probably get about 32. It seems to take a big drop with lots of city driving. When I do almost all city driving the lowest I got was 24.
    Interior build quality I like. I have over 35k on mine and the only squeak comes from the driver seat somewhere. Im very comfortable in it for long trips. Ive driven it over 10 hours at a time and I didn't have any soreness. It has some road noise but not as bad as my old car. Im thinking of dynamatting it to reduce it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How about used Honda Fits? I have a 2011 Fit and I haul my bikes inside. WIth the seats down there is a surprising amount of room. I get 36-37 mpg on the highway, and it has the paddle shifters. It doesn't have as much power as the Mazda 3 2.5, but it gets better mileage.

k_z
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quite honestly on my 2.5 I am getting no more than 30mpg on a highway (with no bikes/rack) which for small car isn't a lot these days - but at least it does accelerate ;-)

I bought a hatchback primarily to haul the bikes inside - but since I bought Grand Touring version (with Tech Package), then I decided interior is too nice to haul the mtb in it which typically has couple of pounds of mud on it... So got a hitch/rack... Not the smartest way to go but like the car ;-)

SS Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    VW Golf TDI for the win!

Just bought one and love it. Was all set to get a Mazada 3 hatchback until we test drove the TDI. More power, far better mpg, handles better, nicer fit and finish, and all scheduled maintenance is free. The initial cost is a bit more than the Mazada but when you look at the 5 year cost of ownership numbers is actually cheaper. And the automatic comes with a dual clutch paddle shifter setup on the steering wheel.

I have been averaging 47 to 50 mpg since we bought it.
    I also have a tdi and get around 45 on the HWY high 30's around town driving it fairly hard. The gas version is cheaper and my friends claim high 20's on average from a GTI supposedly low 30's on the HWY. A lot of fun to drive super fast and to me the seats are a lot more comfy then the others you listed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I've got a 2011 Forte 5 EX and a 2006 Toyota Matrix. First off my bikes must be stupid long or something because I can't seem to get them in either car like people are showing. The rear tires are always just sticking back a little too far to get the hatch closed. I recently got a hitch rack and I really like how that carries the bikes and it doesn't bother fuel economy.

As for the Forte5 it's a great car, fun to drive and looks great. Kia seems to really have turned a corner in the past few years. I have two major complaints about it.
    1) The suspension is pretty bouncy on rough roads. I think it's mostly just a matter of not enough rebound dampening but unfortunately there's no knob to twiddle to get it dialed in like on your bike.
    2) MPG numbers are not what they claim to be. I don't think we have ever bested 33MPG on the highway. Now I tend to drive 70-75 on the highway so maybe if I slowed down I could do it but if you plan on setting the cruise around 75 and getting 36mpg in my experience it's not going to happen. My wifes "country mileage" (45/55 roads with stop signs) to and from work is generally around 30.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My 29er fits in my vibe/matrix like the setup I posted. I do have to move the rear wheel towards the center of the rear hatch but it fits.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    Check out the Chevy Sonic with the optional 1.4 turbo. We are averaging 36-38mpg in mixed driving (60% hwy, 40% city). Cargo room is surprisingly good with the seats down but it may be a squeeze with two bikes depending on how large those bikes are.
    Can you get one bike inside?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I don't know if all wheel drive is important to you at all, but if so, have you checked out the new Subaru Impreza 5-door?

AWD and 36 mpg highway is pretty dang good. Plus it starts below $18k.

I've been seeing a bunch of them lately, and they look a lot better in person than in photos.

Members who have read this thread: 0