Has anybody ever tried fitting their bike in a roof box?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Has anybody ever tried fitting their bike in a roof box?

I normally travel with my whole bike inside the car (Outback). Upcoming long trip I may have the car full of other stuff. Considering getting roof rack or hitch rack but not crazy about either. Looking at the published dimensions for the largest Thule roof box, I think my bike might fit in there with just the front wheel off... worst case have to remove back wheel and/or a pedal also. I can't find any mention of anybody else doing this via Google searches. Thoughts?

Rent this space for $
    A mtb in a roof box?! Seems incredibly unlikely. At least not without a yuuuge box and tearing bike down into component parts. Why the aversion to a designated rack?

mtbr member
    This box is 85x33x16in on the inside. Rough measurements of my bike make that look like it could work, but I don't know how square it is inside, i.e. if those dimensions are valid along the entire length of each edge.

> Why the aversion to a designated rack?

The same reason I store my bike in a garage instead of outside the house. Except with the added difference that my house isn't moving 80mph down a freeway.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If you are willing to buy an $800 box to put on your roof, why not move the stuff from your car into the box? Isn't your car just another box?

Looking at the dimensions, I think almost any bike could fit in that box. At 16in high you will need to turn the bars parallel to the front wheel. Depending on your bike you may need to remove the front wheel too. Are you going to use this box at a later date? I'd hate to store that thing if I was only going to use it once a year.

$800 might also pay for the rental of a bigger vehicle for a trip depending on mileage and time. Your gas mileage will also suffer, sometimes drastically, with those cargo boxes. I've gotten 18mpg with a car that typically gets high 20s.

Personally, I'd pack around the bike and deal with the hassle as long as this isn't a long term thing. With the right sizes of duffels and plastic storage boxes, it isn't a big deal.

I travel with a hitch rack, and I drag the bike(s) into the hotel/motel room with me each night. If I camp I lock them up.

mtbr member
    depending on where he is going, he may end up with a wet/muddy/dirty bike that he doesn't want in his car. also, he could probably sleep in the back with his clothes and other small gear in the car, but couldn't with the bike inside. there are lots of reasons to not want a bike inside the car...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have done it! It was an old 26er.... BUT I HAVE DONE IT!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The111 View Post
    This box is 85x33x16in on the inside. Rough measurements of my bike make that look like it could work, but I don't know how square it is inside, i.e. if those dimensions are valid along the entire length of each edge.

> Why the aversion to a designated rack?

The same reason I store my bike in a garage instead of outside the house. Except with the added difference that my house isn't moving 80mph down a freeway.

unless you are like midget-short and your bike is tiny, no way it's going to fit with just front wheel off. More like both wheels, seatpost, handlebar, pedals off; maybe fork as well. (ask anyone who's put a bike in a travel case - basically the same thing). then there's also the question of where your wheels go, getting them in that roof box is not a given.

Since an $800 roof box is apparently on the table... you can get a hitch plus most any hitch rack for that. There are a lot of pluses to that, I can't really think of any downsides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have a Thule Boxter, it's not wide enough to fit an MTB. I keep my daughter's balance bike in it though..