Great deal on Kuat NV- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Great deal on Kuat NV

Cheaper than amazon.com at $466.66 - Just ordered one, it serves my needs better than the 1UP

Kuat NV 2-Bike Tray Hitch Rack in Tree Fort Bikes Hitch Racks (cat266)

2012 Trek Fuel EX8 - Matte Black

mtbr member
    i guess i'm the only who bought on this

psycho cyclo addict
    Congrats.

I scored one from Colorado Cyclist early last year for $399 no tax/free shipping. It's been awesome. I saw someone with a 2" version of it. Man, that's a honking big one compared to the 1.25" version that I got.

mtbr member
    got my rack this week and got a chance to give it a try with mt '12 Fuel EX8, pretty good so far - i wished the built-in lock was about > 6 inches longer. i don't see how it's going to secure 2 bikes since it barely secures one bike.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nice looking rack you got there ! We enjoy ours as well. The lock cable is just long enough too lock two bikes, feed the cable through the rear section of the frame of both bikes. This way works for us on both our road & MTB's.

PS: it's a good idea to remove the work stand when not in use because that is easily stolen.

Enjoy the rack !

<100%
    Just bought one a few weeks ago for the back my Jeep - very nice rack - I agree that the cable could be a little longer - I can get it through the stays of two bikes but not the main traingles.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jws21 View Post
    Nice looking rack you got there ! We enjoy ours as well. The lock cable is just long enough too lock two bikes, feed the cable through the rear section of the frame of both bikes. This way works for us on both our road & MTB's.

PS: it's a good idea to remove the work stand when not in use because that is easily stolen.

Enjoy the rack !
    good idea about the trail doc, store it inside the car

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tooclosetosee View Post
    The Nv can carry up to 120 lbs while the sherpa can carry up to 80lbs. The Nv can take up to a 48" wheelbase vs 44.5 on the sherpa. Important on DH and freeride bikes. Nv can accept the 2 bike add on so you can carry up to 4 bikes. Sherpa is lighter 29lbs vs 49lbs. Both have 1.25 and 2inch receiver options.

A good write up here : Kuat NV Sherpa review | MyBikeStand.com

mtbr member
    i looked at the sherpa too, but the NV seemed to fit my needs better - i do wish it was light like the Sherpa

mtbr member

Grease those weak springs!

I've had my NV for two seasons now. It's a great rack. having said that I have had issues with it.
    First the locking cable came loose from the rack( was not properly swagged) Kuat replaced this at no cost. As others have said it is a little to short to secure two bikes.
    Lately It has developed a much more serious problem. the wheel hooks began failing to lock about a month ago. called Kuat and they say there was a recall but my rack is not covered.
    Luckily it is fairly easy to remove the small nut and bolt on the arm, then depress the black hook sleeves and remove the hook from rack.
    At this point you will have the arm and two plastic sleeves. remove the black plastic sleeves turn the arm upside down. there is a puny spring that is supposed to force the ratchet wings to engage the hook. It rusts and sticks. WD- 40 followed by some grease got mine moving again.
    I would strongly suggest any new owners preemptively grease the spring on the arms now in order to avoid coming out to your vehicle in a hurry to get a ride in and find your rack useless.
    Hope this helps everyone out I would have loved to have had a heads up on this myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A recall but your is not covered? Good customer service. This rack isn't cheap and my buddy has the NV and has a few minor problems that he isn't happy with. I think I'll continue to look.

However, the rack does look good. Cool idea for the work stand but I've heard it doesn't work that well. Again, what I've heard, no first hand knowledge.

mtbr member
    i am surprised customer service wasn't willing to work with you? did you talk to bill kaufmann from their operations side? call them.

mtbr member
    I too am just about to purchase the NV....My question is should I go for the 1.25" or the 2"? I have a Honda Fit that is my commuter/run-around and also a Dodge truck. The Honda has the 1.25 class 1 hitch and the Dodge 2". I'm thinking the 2" version of the NV will have better latteral stability than the 1.25 (?). If so I could buy a 2" to 1.25 adaptor and, asside from the 6" extra length, would be good to go (right?). The Fit is my primary trail head commuter and would see the rack 95% of the time.

I really like the idea of having the option to go with the extra 2 bike add-on with the NV...Unfortunately the 1.25" option won't alow that (unless I want to risk cheating!). Arrrrg! Help guys!

Members who have read this thread: 0