Got a fork mount... now what to do with front wheel?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Got a fork mount... now what to do with front wheel?

I got this and attached it to a piece of wood that slides nicely into built-in grooves in the back of my Nissan Titan.

So now that the bike is secure, I have a 29" wheel that I'm not sure what to do with. The same company makes this, but when I asked them if it would fit a 29" wheel, they replied with a PDF of the part that shows it would hold up to a 745mm (29.3") diameter wheel/tire. Does a 29er wheel and tire come in at under 29.3"? If so, problem solved! If not, then what?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Methinks that wouldn't work for you. Can't you just toss the wheel in the truck? Or bunjee the wheel to the frame of the bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Well, putting it in the cab kind of sucks after a good ride. It's dirty plus it bounces and rolls around. I want to mount it for its own protection more than anything.

Is this right? http://www.bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math

I have 29 x 2.2 and this says the diameter should be about 733.76mm, which would fit (barely). I will use a tape measure tonight and hopefully my tire comes in at less than 29.3"... then I'll order it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just put my wheels in the back of the truck. They're not going to blow out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I use a velcro or toe strap and attach to frame or just let them set up near cab and it works great then spend that money on beer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    could just take a mild 1"x 1/4 steel strap bend it into a fork shape that would fit a 29" wheel and notch the ends for the axle then temper it to make it more rigid...

NMBP
    Do a search for front wheel holder. I would give you a link, but the only way that I can access this site anymore is on my wife's iPad, and I don't know how to cut and paste with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0