Good method of avoiding theft with a pick-up truck- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Good method of avoiding theft with a pick-up truck

I have a Locking bed head ( http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ike-Mount.html ) that I mount my bike to but am looking to further keep thieves at bay. I have learned all Yakima locks use the same key so I am searching for a better way to lock my bike up when it is in my bed. For the record, I do not always keep it in my truck bed, but sometimes I have to stop at the store on the way home from a ride and would like to know it will be there when I return.
    I have discovered this Master Lock for truck beds, and am wondering what would be a good cable/chain to use with it.
    http://www.masterlock.com/product_de...-Locks/8287DAT

Any comments?
    Feel free to tell me how my fellow truck owner bikers protect their investments while they're in their truck. Thanks everyone

mtbr member

Truck bed locks

Years ago when I bought my bed rack, a adjustable metal square tube style it came with wheel skewer mounts that close to the inside so that you can thread a small padlock through them. they sell these skewers separately I believe. I went to Wallmart and bought a plastic coated cable lock which is easier to use with two bikes rather than individual locks. I thread it through the frame not the wheel. Anything you do with a pickup is more of a deterrent than a solution if they want your bike there gonna get it.

Village Dirtbag
    Get a plastic bedliner. Take apart a stun-gun, and power it off your car battery. Connect one end to the body of your truck and the other to your frame. If someone leans in and touches the body of the car and the frame of the bike at the same time- BAM!. Hopefully it won't fry all the electronics in your truck

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Get a plastic bedliner. Take apart a stun-gun, and power it off your car battery. Connect one end to the body of your truck and the other to your frame. If someone leans in and touches the body of the car and the frame of the bike at the same time- BAM!. Hopefully it won't fry all the electronics in your truck
    I could see my self forgetting it was "aramed"....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by carverboy
    Years ago when I bought my bed rack, a adjustable metal square tube style it came with wheel skewer mounts that close to the inside so that you can thread a small padlock through them. they sell these skewers separately I believe. I went to Wallmart and bought a plastic coated cable lock which is easier to use with two bikes rather than individual locks. I thread it through the frame not the wheel. Anything you do with a pickup is more of a deterrent than a solution if they want your bike there gonna get it.
    Got a picture of the skewers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just buy a big dog.

Unless you think that any sort of lock will protect your exposed bike sitting by itself even for "just 2 minutes".

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mainlane
    Just buy a big dog.
    I frequently meet a couple of Rottweilers in my area. They look sort of intimidating but have really sweet behaviors. I suppose the owners know how to treat their dogs...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxunv04
    I have a Locking bed head ( http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ike-Mount.html ) that I mount my bike to but am looking to further keep thieves at bay. I have learned all Yakima locks use the same key so I am searching for a better way to lock my bike up when it is in my bed. ..........
    Regarding the Yakima locks you mention, are you saying:

> ALL Yakima Lock Cores use the same key to lock and unlock the lock?

or:

> That ALL Yakima Locking Bed Head Mounts Lock Cores use the same key?

The Yakima Control Key used to install or remove the lock core (once unlocked) is understandably universal - but for Yakima to use the same key on ALL of its locks is unthinkable and highly unlikely.....For the sake of Yakima owners, I hope I'm correct.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Im pretty sure all yakima cores use the same key, I could be mistaken though.

Village Dirtbag
    I could see my self forgetting it was "aramed"....
    Probably just once though

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Im pretty sure all yakima cores use the same key, I could be mistaken though.
    I'm certain that Yakima lock cores all use the same Control Key (which can only be used to install or remove the core after the core is unlocked).

Also, I believe that the locking keys are not the same from core to core to core set.

For example, when I exchanged my 8-pack of SKS Lock Cores for a 10-pack, the locking keys were indeed different and not interchangeable.

It's difficult to imagine that Yakima would use a universal key to lock and unlock their products, thereby placing their customers gear at risk.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I hope youre right, maybe I misunderstood what I read.

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambi19
    It's difficult to imagine that Yakima would use a universal key to lock and unlock their products, thereby placing their customers gear at risk.
    They are not all the same single key, but there is a limited number that they have. It's irrelevant anyway since all you have to do is jam a flat head screwdriver and turn it to open them all up. All the parts are weak plastic or tin/pot metal and will break easily. Locking fork mounts that use a pad lock and a cable lock are your best bets to make the thieves move on to easier pickings. Most locking systems for racks and bikes are just to keep honest people honest...
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I saw this on a guys truck the other week. Its called a "toylok". He had it mounted under his toolbox and could simply wrap it around anything he wanted.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...822&RP=Default

ballbuster

THey don't need to

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi19
    Regarding the Yakima locks you mention, are you saying:

> ALL Yakima Lock Cores use the same key to lock and unlock the lock?

or:

> That ALL Yakima Locking Bed Head Mounts Lock Cores use the same key?

The Yakima Control Key used to install or remove the lock core (once unlocked) is understandably universal - but for Yakima to use the same key on ALL of its locks is unthinkable and highly unlikely.....For the sake of Yakima owners, I hope I'm correct.
    Because Yakimna locks can be defeated with a big screwdriver, a hammer and a set of vice grips. May as well all be keyed the same.

... yeah... and what RIS says. A real lock with a real chain. Those flexible cable things can be cut pretty easily, too. Even those chains can be popped without too much hassle with the right bolt cutter.

Keep in mind, nothing is going to keep your bike in the bed of your truck overnight.

Now you just need something secure to bolt it to.

mtbr member
    When I had a truck, I would use a bike lock or a padlock and cable to lock stuff in the bed. Grills, bikes, boards, anything.
    --NC
    2008 Kona Cowan // 2005 Kona Cowan // 2009 Giant Modem // 2009 department store IronHorse // 1970s Schwinn roadie

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Run a long, insulated bike cable(7ft) with padlocks, from the rear corner tie down loops through each rear wheel and frame...works a charm.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Rohloff
    I'm putting a camper shell on my truck. One of the best things you can do to prevent theft is to put it out of sight.

mtbr member
    I have tie mounts and a bed extender in the bed of my truck. I run a cable through the tie mounts and my wheels. Then I also lock the bike with a U lock to the bed extender. This works for a grocery run, but I'd never leave it out overnight.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    Run a long, insulated bike cable(7ft) with padlocks, from the rear corner tie down loops through each rear wheel and frame...works a charm.
    X2

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Try to park in the open so you can see it and make sure you at least lock it to deter theft, but you cannot prevent it if they are determined.

ballbuster
    I got a better idea.

Get a shotgun, a lawn chair, a cell phone to get food delivered, and a really big pot of coffee.

jrm
    mtbr member

Ftw

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I got a better idea.

Get a shotgun, a lawn chair, a cell phone to get food delivered, and a really big pot of coffee.
    oakland stylie. I say take apart the bike and stash everything in the cab while your not there. kudos if the trucks alarmed..

mtbr member
    Best recommendation in this thread

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    That's because I have an extensive background in this area, and from a number of different perspectives.

But thanks.

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    Answering questions like this involves the same line of thinking as in the following joke:

Two guys are out on a hike. They come upon a clearing, and see a Cheetah. The Cheetah spots them, and begins stalking them. One of the guys takes off his hiking boots, slips off his backpack, pulls out a brand new pair of running shoes, and puts them on. As he's lacing them up, his friend looks at him in utter amazement and says "Are you crazy? You can't out-run a Cheetah!", to which the first guy responds "I don't HAVE to out-run the Cheetah. All I have to do is out-run YOU.".

You don't have to make it impossible to steal your bike. You just have to make it harder to steal than someone elses bike.