Garage and Truck Bike rack, Help please..- Mtbr.com

Jan 2007

Smile Garage and Truck Bike rack, Help please..

I need to buy a 2 bike Bike garage rack and a 2 bike truck bed rack for my trucks.
    I have 2 trucks, One is a Full size Ford truck and the other is a Toyota pickup. I need something to work in both trucks. Any suggestions?. I'm leaning towards the stackable type garage rack because I think it will give me more clearance then the side by side rack.

Here are a few I looked at for the garage bike rack ..

https://www.bikerackshops.com/SS10025.html

This was the one for the truck bed. Will this work for a disc brake bike?

https://www.bikerackshops.com/TU822.html

Thanks

Can Tree Member
    The truck rack should work fine for disk brakes. In the photo, the bike on the right has disk brake mounts and you can see how the calipers will hang behind the axle and out of the way. If you end up with some sort of tray mount (rooftop system) then you have to watch out for intererence between the caliper and the tray...nothing that a little filing or dremeling on the tray can't fix, however.

Here's a pretty cool thread on garage storage options from a few months ago...might give you some ideas.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=173919
    Last edited by Dad Man Walking; 01-20-2007 at 08:21 AM.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

jrm
    mtbr member

i had one of those..

The puematic device that keep the cross bar preessed agsint the sides of the truck bed failed. Also i never felt that the bikes were secure on that rack even with a cable lock attached..

ive seen some others that actually clip into a bracket on the side of the bed that were alot more secure. If you are tfitting it ot 2 trucks then youd just need a 2nd set of brackets and be set.

Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm
    The puematic device that keep the cross bar preessed agsint the sides of the truck bed failed. Also i never felt that the bikes were secure on that rack even with a cable lock attached..

ive seen some others that actually clip into a bracket on the side of the bed that were alot more secure. If you are tfitting it ot 2 trucks then youd just need a 2nd set of brackets and be set.

Do you remember who made the others? Any of these? Thanks

Last edited by dirtforlife; 01-20-2007 at 07:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    check out www.xrack3.co.uk
    transportation, storage and maintenance all in one.
    this kit is the best on the market.
    can be used for standard quick release's, 20mm thro' axles and leftys.
    designed to be rolled inside hatchback vehicles.

use xrack3 you know it makes sense

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Smile In Car/truck Bike Transportation

check out www.xrack3.co.uk

Transportation, storage and maintenance all in one, this kit is the best on the market.
    Can be used for standard quick release's, 20mm thro' axles and leftys.
    Designed in the UK to be rolled inside hatchback vehicles. A green source of Transport.
    No vehicle modifications, no reduction in fuel economy.
    Kit comes complete with lockdown straps for normal forks that don't have a lockout.

use xrack3 you know it makes sense

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Since Performance Bike has stores in GA, just thought I would give you a heads up on these:
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    You should be able to get them for 59/ea, about 1/3 of the THULE cost! Add a performance bike coupon that you get once a month, and some team points and they are a great deal.
    Have only read good things about them - I have two getting delivered today. Picked mine up for $95 for two, thanks to a grand opening sale.
    edit: bought two for a frankenrack setup above the bed, thanks to mtb bill's guidance!

Tribe of one
    Check this out http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/bikerack/makerack.htm
    Two distinct advantages are: 1) you can keep the front tires 2) the rack can be used in garage when not transporting bikes. Just an idea. R

Members who have read this thread: 0