FWD Juke: roof or hatch?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

FWD Juke: roof or hatch?

I have a Front Wheel Drive Nissan Juke. They do NOT have a receiver hitch for them yet, and I'm getting tired of loading dirty bikes into the back (there isn't much room back there). I'm trying to decide on roof racks or trunk/ hatch rack. I already have a doorsill clip Thule roof rack to haul my surfboards and kayaks. Should I, A: buy two or three bike trays for the roof racks? B: buy a three bike hatch mounted rack? C: have a custom receiver hitch made so I can use my four bike Thule hitch rack? BTW most of my bike hauling is over an hour drive at highway speed. Thanks
    GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think I would go the hatch route if there is a good option for the bikes you have. Loading the middle bike in a 3 bike set up on the rooftop can be a huge pain. I assume we are just talking about MTB here, as I am a huge proponent of roof fork mounts for roadbikes. Also check mountings as my MTB is a huge pain to load up on an arm style rack, so I always look for tray options, but usually those are hitch only. The new Thule Raceway platform looks nice, but 2 bike only.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zombinate
    I think I would go the hatch route if there is a good option for the bikes you have. Loading the middle bike in a 3 bike set up on the rooftop can be a huge pain. I assume we are just talking about MTB here, as I am a huge proponent of roof fork mounts for roadbikes. Also check mountings as my MTB is a huge pain to load up on an arm style rack, so I always look for tray options, but usually those are hitch only. The new Thule Raceway platform looks nice, but 2 bike only.
    I'm thinkin' that hatch rack is what I'll do till a receiver hitch comes along. I just have never used one and am a little worried. And yes we are talking MTBs, Rockhopper, Homegrown and a Cannondale, all hardtails. Thanks zombinate.
    GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    I would bet my money there won't be a hitch for the FWD Juke. There is just nothing back there to mount to. I tried to make the hitch for the AWD fit. If you had tools and patience, removing the back bumper would give access to drill mounting holes through the frame rails. I just couldn't do it to a week old car. I bet it would like sweet with a roof rack though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmike13
    I would bet my money there won't be a hitch for the FWD Juke. There is just nothing back there to mount to. I tried to make the hitch for the AWD fit. If you had tools and patience, removing the back bumper would give access to drill mounting holes through the frame rails. I just couldn't do it to a week old car. I bet it would like sweet with a roof rack though.

At least it's not just me. I was sent one of the first Curt hitches, and was told it would fit both FWD & AWD. Then I was promised by an engineer at Draw-Tite the same thing. Neither came close. I could MAYBE have made the Curt receiver fit by changing the exhaust from the axle back, (With the turbo the less backpreasure the better) and then doing a little cutting and fabricating with the hitch. But I'm lazy. Also I was told that they will have a FWD Juke to fit a hitch on this summer by somebody at Curt. The Thule racks DO look great on the car. The wife just bought a Jamis carbon and I sure don't want see that thing bouncing down the highway in my rearview, so I'm gonna try for the SAFEST way to haul these bikes around, and hope for a receiver hitch soon. Thanks bigmike.
    GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

Bike Breaker
    Sep 2004
    Curt does make a hitch for the FWD Jukes now. Mounted it last weekend, got it off ebay

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    CURT 111351 at AutoAnything try typing " Juke hitch" in google and see what happens.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thread revival

How does CURT 11351 works so far? What bothering me is the following: NOTE: For all non-trailer loads stability straps are required or it would void the warranty.

In essence CURT recommends hook the strap to the rack and the trunk door. They show swinging hatch that have high point to hook the strap, but I don't see how it would work with tray based racks, since strap would have to go through the bikes pretty much.

Happy riding.
    I used to run tubes like you are, but then I got thorn in my wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've had zero problems with my hitch, and I've been using it for hauling bikes for almost a year now. Curt was kind enough to let me know when they had finished fitting the FWD Juke, and I had the tech from Curt call after I'd had the hitch for about a month. He wanted to know how everything was working out. Hopefully that wasn't because they were having problems.

My rack is a Thule Expressway. It's a 4 bike "hanging" rack, but most of the time I just haul 2. With the Thule hitchlock, I barely get any wobble. At this point, I have two or three thousand miles of loaded use, without a problem. I haven't strapped the rack to the trunk, or anywhere. I have never felt that it needed it.

The rack does stick out far enough that I can open the hatch without having to tilt the rack. I guess I could use the straps on it easily if it was moving around a lot.

I do know someone who uses a Curt bike rack on a Curt hitch. They have it on a Lexus hybrid though, and that thing shakes pretty bad. He carries about eight thousand dollars worth of bikes from Canada to Florida a couple of times a year. He has that thing strapped up just about every way possible. I think I'd do the same .
    GUINNESS IS GOOD FOR YOU

Members who have read this thread: 0