Fork slips out of Thule fork mount carrier- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461

    Fork slips out of Thule fork mount carrier

    I'm stumped why my bike tipped over twice while I was driving today.

    This morning I secured my bike onto a Thule fork mount carrier. I adjusted the clamping tension to the point where I had to use my palm to close it completely. I drove for about a mile in town when I made a left turn and the bike fell over.

    It is a custom cross bike and the fork didn't come with lawyer tabs. When I looked at the dropouts nothing seemed bent, they appeared completed normal so I secured the bike back onto the carrier and dialed the clamping force just a bit more than before.

    I drove on the freeway for about 10 miles up to at most 65 mph and exited to get some coffee. A right turn into a bumpy driveway and the bike fell over again.

    I can't figure out what wrong, it's like the fork slipped out and once again the dropouts looked perfectly straight. I took pictures of the fork mount just to show that the mount is in great condition, no weather damage, no rust. I plan to call Thule but thought I'd post this as well as I haven't changed any variables from before, it's the same bikes I carry on the same fork mount.

    <br>

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    I'd call Thule.

    My Yak carriers (sprocket rockets), similar to these, specify that they are designed to work with the lawyer tabs. That may be the problem.

    J.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I'd call Thule.

    My Yak carriers (sprocket rockets), similar to these, specify that they are designed to work with the lawyer tabs. That may be the problem.

    J.
    I checked the Yakima site about the fork tabs.

    Fork mounts: All of our fork mount racks are designed to be used with forks that have safety tabs, carbon forks are safe to use with fork mounts. Disc brakes may not work with all fork mounts. Oversize fron axles will require the use of a fork adapter. Some fender and rack mounts may interfer with the fork mount.

    It's depends if you read it as the clamp opens out enough to allow clearance of the tabs or that it is a requirement for the fork to have the tabs in order for the fork to be securely clamped.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,208
    Right. That's why I suggest you call Thule.

    J.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    236
    My Thule does the same thing with an On One carbon leg / aluminum dropout fork. The tabs are too thin for the clamps to get a bite. I was going to put a spacer/washer there to close the gap.

    Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by schmed View Post
    My Thule does the same thing with an On One carbon leg / aluminum dropout fork. The tabs are too thin for the clamps to get a bite. I was going to put a spacer/washer there to close the gap.
    Interesting, I would hesitant to customize my fork mount as it most likely wouldn't be something a manufacturer would recommend. Do use just not use the fork mount or have another carrier that you can use?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Right. That's why I suggest you call Thule.

    J.
    Yep I plan to as Thule customer support is open Tues-Fri only.

  7. #7
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,046
    it's a problem with the mechanism of your V2 head (the bike rack you have)...something inside, is broken and while it appears to be clamping on the fork, it's not holding tension.
    it has nothing to do with lawyer tabs or not....
    it's a fairly common problem with those racks, we've seen this many times over the years....
    a call to thule warranty should help.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: schmed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    236
    I have a brand new Peloton head that won't clamp and my older Thule head did the same thing. They just don't adjust enough to clamp a thin fork dropout. Unless I got two bad ones in a row

    Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS
    2016 Scott Big Jon

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    it's a fairly common problem with those racks, we've seen this many times over the years....
    a call to thule warranty should help.
    If this is a common problem do you think it would be fair for me to ask Thule if they would take care of the two dents in my roof? The paint seems intact but there are now two dents from where the pedals landed on the roof. I would think some kind of paintless dent repair would work here.

  10. #10
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,717

    On a side note...

    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    I'm stumped why my bike tipped over twice while I was driving today.

    This morning I secured my bike onto a Thule fork mount carrier. I adjusted the clamping tension to the point where I had to use my palm to close it completely. I drove for about a mile in town when I made a left turn and the bike fell over.

    It is a custom cross bike and the fork didn't come with lawyer tabs. When I looked at the dropouts nothing seemed bent, they appeared completed normal so I secured the bike back onto the carrier and dialed the clamping force just a bit more than before.

    I drove on the freeway for about 10 miles up to at most 65 mph and exited to get some coffee. A right turn into a bumpy driveway and the bike fell over again.

    I can't figure out what wrong, it's like the fork slipped out and once again the dropouts looked perfectly straight. I took pictures of the fork mount just to show that the mount is in great condition, no weather damage, no rust. I plan to call Thule but thought I'd post this as well as I haven't changed any variables from before, it's the same bikes I carry on the same fork mount.

    <br>
    Nice cross bike!

    So, the core between the legs is somehow compressing, letting the 'skewer' not make enough tension? Dang. I hope Thule repairs or replaces your rack. Bonus if they fix your car.

  11. #11
    code: mtbr2011
    Reputation: cracksandracks.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,046
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    If this is a common problem do you think it would be fair for me to ask Thule if they would take care of the two dents in my roof? The paint seems intact but there are now two dents from where the pedals landed on the roof. I would think some kind of paintless dent repair would work here.
    when i say it's a common problem, it's something that has happened with that rack with age. i used the v2 on my own car for several years, and never had a problem, but we have seen several in the past year or 2 that have come back with a similar problem.

    as far as your roof dents, sorry...i can't help with that. you could talk to thule about a potential warranty issue and inform them of your problem.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    Would it be okay to just use any skewer instead of the thule aparatus? This thing is a pain in the rear.

    Thanks

    Josh

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thatdrewguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    461
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxx View Post
    Would it be okay to just use any skewer instead of the thule aparatus? This thing is a pain in the rear.

    Thanks

    Josh
    For me if the mount isn't working properly I would replace it with something that does work and is safe. Last thing I would want to do is Macgyver the mount and have my bike fall off and cause an accident.

    BTW... Thule came through with their warranty and I am happy.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    54
    I wasn't clear in my post. My rack works fine just the Thule ratcheting skewer system is a pain in the rear. I was think I could just use the normal skewer. I have since learned that the hole for the rack skewer is larger than a normal skewer thus screwing my skewer idea.

    Josh

Similar Threads

  1. Roof bag/box with fork mount carrier?
    By A1an in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 04:24 PM
  2. HELP: new Fox fork doesn't work with Thule carrier?
    By A1an in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
  3. Fork Mount Carrier For 03 Pathfinder?
    By Madness in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 10:19 AM
  4. Thru axl adapter for regular fork mount carrier?
    By DiRt DeViL in forum Cars and Bike Racks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 05:12 PM
  5. Fork mount carrier with hydraulic disks??
    By dbreda in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-19-2004, 10:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.