Fork Mounts w/ Forester factory rack- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fork Mounts w/ Forester factory rack

I've got a 2004 Forester XT with factory rack and I would prefer a fork mount rack, but all I've found require me to add big nasty crossbars instead of just using the much nicer looking factory crossbars. I can't seem to find any fork mounts or adapters to use a fork mount with my factory rack, and trust me, i've been looking.

Anyone know of any fork mount racks or adapters to use a fork mount on a factory rack?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79
    I've got a 2004 Forester XT with factory rack and I would prefer a fork mount rack, but all I've found require me to add big nasty crossbars instead of just using the much nicer looking factory crossbars. I can't seem to find any fork mounts or adapters to use a fork mount with my factory rack, and trust me, i've been looking.

Anyone know of any fork mount racks or adapters to use a fork mount on a factory rack?
    Have you seen the Thule Ride-On Adapter ? It mounts to your factory cross bars and allows you to attach a fork mount. I talked to a few rack sellers and they say the reason you can't attach a fork mount directly to factory cross bars is they gererate too much side to side torque and have been known to snap the fiberglass bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobS10
    Have you seen the Thule Ride-On Adapter ? It mounts to your factory cross bars and allows you to attach a fork mount. I talked to a few rack sellers and they say the reason you can't attach a fork mount directly to factory cross bars is they gererate too much side to side torque and have been known to snap the fiberglass bars.
    Thanks for your input, but that type of adapter is exactly what I don't want. I should have been more specific in my first post. I was hoping to find adapters that are just big enough for the bike mount, not spanning the whole width of the rack. They are available for full bike mounts but not fork mounts. I'd like as clean a look as possible. I'm curious how a fork mount generates so much more force than a full bike mount. If the bars can't handle it, I'll just get full bike mounts despite the higher cost. The adapter you posted IMO is ugly and cancels out much of the savings of fork mount racks. I suppose if factory racks were strong enough they'd be available.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for your input, but that type of adapter is exactly what I don't want. I should have been more specific in my first post. I was hoping to find adapters that are just big enough for the bike mount, not spanning the whole width of the rack. They are available for full bike mounts but not fork mounts. I'd like as clean a look as possible. I'm curious how a fork mount generates so much more force than a full bike mount. If the bars can't handle it, I'll just get full bike mounts despite the higher cost. The adapter you posted IMO is ugly and cancels out much of the savings of fork mount racks.
    I'm with you, they're ugly and look, well, stupid. However, they seem to be all that's made for fork mounts. Actually, maybe the is a way to get by with Yakima's Universal Mightymount for the front end and the Horizontal Mightymount for the back, but I don't know. Call both rack companies. They'll tell you why they don't offer a rack that depends on factory cross bars for all the strength. The Thule setup's crossbars tie everything together and provide lateral support that the fork mount racks need. The wheel mount racks allow the bike to move a little within the rack, so all the torque doesn't transmit directly to your factory cross bars.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info. i'd never thought about lateral strength of the bars. i was just looking at the weight rating of my rack and couldn't figure out why fork mounts wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the info. i'd never thought about lateral strength of the bars. i was just looking at the weight rating of my rack and couldn't figure out why fork mounts wouldn't work.
    I went through the same thing with putting a roof basket/bike racks setup on my 4Runner. Factory cross bars list the max weight at 165lbs., but both Yakima and Thule rate them down to 100lbs. Your only other (and more expensive) way is to mount Thule or Yakima tower/crossbars in place of your factory ones. It won't stick up so high or look as dorky, plus you can install a spoiler.

mtbr member
    rocky mounts noose. the factory crossbars are generally only strong enough for 2 bikes, at least so they say.

mtbr member
    awesome, thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0