Fork mounts on a truck bed cover?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Fork mounts on a truck bed cover?

I got a new truck and it came with an Undercover Tonneau cover. Can I mount fork mounts directly to the cover and let the bikes ride on top?

Thanks

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Yes, but they might crack the cover.

mtbr member
    Sure,
    Just make sure to use a really large backing plate under the cover to distribute the loads introduced by the weight of the bike and the lateral forces from when you drive/corner etc. If it was me, I would also mount a plate under where the rear wheels contact and use some sort of anchor to strap the rear wheels to. Also, the further forward you mount it the sturdier it will be.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Backing plate is an excellent idea. If the cover has any built-in stiffening structures, you could try to utilize those.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I mounted Yakima rack and high rollers on my ARE cover. Works great no cracks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I took the advice offered here and used a heavy guage (~1.5 mmm thick) to mount under the QR mounts before bolting them to the bed cover. There is some wiggle but not a lot. I then drag the rear wheel of the bikes towards the center of the truck which increased the resistance to wiggle. I uses velcro with adhessive backing to create a lightrear wheel holder. However, drawing the rear wheel towards the center of the bedline adds a fair amount of pressure due to the headange so not much holding is needed to secure the bikes. I made it from DC to Augusta, GA with no problems.

Now I want a good tent that incorporates the cover. I've seen some tents that are set up in the back of a truck but they require cover removal.