• 03-16-2010
    js_paddle07
    Fork mount racks and damage?
    I use a Thule Peloton fork mount carrier for my SJ. Do I need to worry about the carrier damaging the fork on my bike. After just a week, I can see some wear where the fork sits on the rack. I believe this is caused by the bike rocking back and forth while on top of the car.

Should I be concerned?
  • 03-16-2010
    Mount Dora Cycles
    Only if you forget the bike is on top of the car as you pull in the garage :)

Seriously though, are you talking about the paint wearing off the dropouts? There shouldn't be any movement between the rack and fork if it's clamped tight enough. I use the same racks on my car and haven't noticed any access wear.
  • 03-16-2010
    cracksandracks.com
    you shouldn't have any wear on the dropouts of your fork if you've got the bike attached firmly to the rack. paint wearing off the dropouts is no big deal...
    just make sure you don't forget to tighten the rear wheel strap, and that you have the bike rack attached securely to the rack itself.
    just think about how much wear you actually put on the dropouts when you're riding the bike!
  • 03-16-2010
    js_paddle07
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    you shouldn't have any wear on the dropouts of your fork if you've got the bike attached firmly to the rack. paint wearing off the dropouts is no big deal...
    just make sure you don't forget to tighten the rear wheel strap, and that you have the bike rack attached securely to the rack itself.
    just think about how much wear you actually put on the dropouts when you're riding the bike!

It looks like it is wearing where the dropouts go in and out of the carrier. I'll just take your advice and not worry about it. :thumbsup:

How tight should the fork be clamped? Since you are in the rack business, do more people use fork mount carriers? If so, why?

Thanks!
  • 03-16-2010
    cracksandracks.com
    you should be able to close the top of the peleton so that it is somewhat difficult to push down, but not that it requires your full body weight. ...so that there is tension about halfway down, and the last bit requires a little mustard to get closed....and snapped closed.

fork mounts are great....for alot of reasons...they're typically more aerodynamic and more stable. uprights (where you keep both wheels on) tend to have a little sway to them, but can be more convenient to load/unload.

a common misconception i have seen over the years is that loading a bike onto an upright carrier is easier. the truth is, hoisting the whole bike up high, especially over your head, is alot more difficult for people than fork mounting. when fork mounting, the bike is more manageable and not quite as cumbersome.

at the end of the day, there is no right or wrong way....and what feels a little bit foreign at the begiinning soon turns to routine after a really short time.

if you've never had a bike on top of your car, it also can be alittle bit unnerving driving around at first, but you'll soon get more comfortable with it....just don't forget it's there when you pull into a garage, parking structure, or drive thru window!!!
  • 03-16-2010
    Wildeyes
    Careful how "tight" you make that fork clamp in the front. That is a big reason why those plastic parts fail, people make it WAY too tight and it will eventually break. It should give resistance around the halfway point of closing the mechanism. It shouldn't kill you to try to get the thing closed and open.
  • 11-05-2011
    jeronimus
    ive had mine for about a year, and I still stay cautious driving with the bike on the car. On windy days on the California freeways, you can almost see the bike sway left and right. However, the bike stays secure. I try not to drive over 65mph.