Fork mount, or full bike carrier for Lexus IS250?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fork mount, or full bike carrier for Lexus IS250?

So the IS250 isn't exactly the most spacious sedan, cramming one bike in is hard enough, but two is impossible. I have decided on a roof mount system, but am unsure on a fork mount, or a full bike carrier, and was hoping some people with experience could lend some advice.

Yakima doesn't list any roof rack systems for my car, but Thule does have a system available, and plenty of options; so I've decided to try them out as my first carrier.

As far as full bike carriers, I've been told that the 594 Sidearm is a great solution, and appears to be pretty easy to setup. Another full bike carrier solution is the 599xtr Big Mouth. Is one better than the other, or are they both good options?

Fork mounts will obviously lend better clearance, but are there other advantages to removing the front wheel? The 517 Peloton seems like a good option for a fork mount system, are there any others I should look at?

Another concern I have is about actually mounting the bike(s). Are there any tips people have to avoid scratching the paint, or avoiding accidents? Is it easy enough for one person to put the bike in these roof mount systems, or do they generally need two people?

Also, I can imagine there have been horror stories of people forgetting the bikes are mounted on the roof, and driving into their garage, thus causing serious damage to all components involved. Are there any systems available to "remind" you it's up there? Any tips people have used to not forget?

Finally, if anyone with an IS250 has pictures of systems mounted on the vehicle, I'd love to see them.

Thanks in advance...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Bueller?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ecables
    Yakima doesn't list any roof rack systems for my car, but Thule does have a system available, and plenty of options; so I've decided to try them out as my first carrier.
    Hmm, that's weird. I tried '06 IS250/350 in Yakima's "Fit my car" page and they list the Q Tower setup and crossbars, which you would mount the actual rack to. http://www.yakima.com/Consumer/Step2.aspx. Not trying to tell you to go with Yakima over Thule, but it looks like you do have an option.

As far as full bike carriers, I've been told that the 594 Sidearm is a great solution, and appears to be pretty easy to setup. Another full bike carrier solution is the 599xtr Big Mouth. Is one better than the other, or are they both good options?
    I've also heard good things about the Sidearm. I've tried it in a store and it looks like a fast, slick way to get your bike on the roof. Reviews on this site rate it very well, except for the locking setup.

Fork mounts will obviously lend better clearance, but are there other advantages to removing the front wheel? The 517 Peloton seems like a good option for a fork mount system, are there any others I should look at?
    No advantage to removing the front wheel, since you have to store it, just part of having a fork mount rack. You're right about the disadvantage to the wheel mount is they stick up higher and are more likely to have clearance issues, but I'd guess the difference between what garage/awning/overhang you can drive under with either type isn't going to matter much. You just have to stay away from parking garages with a roof rack and watch it at fast food drivethroughs.

I would also say that wheel mounts have a little more wind drag (i.e. wind noise and worse gas mileage) and the bikes move around a bit more than a fork mount, but unless you're going off road, that shouldn't matter. Bottom line is wheel mounts are faster and easier to use than fork mounts, and you don't have to store the front wheels. Disadvantage is they're less aerodynamic, bikes sway more, and they may not lock quite as well as a fork mount if you park for an extended time.

Another concern I have is about actually mounting the bike(s). Are there any tips people have to avoid scratching the paint, or avoiding accidents? Is it easy enough for one person to put the bike in these roof mount systems, or do they generally need two people?
    I'd go with a wheel mount. The easier it is to mount your bikes, the less chance you'll have a wreck while doing it.

Also, I can imagine there have been horror stories of people forgetting the bikes are mounted on the roof, and driving into their garage, thus causing serious damage to all components involved. Are there any systems available to "remind" you it's up there? Any tips people have used to not forget?
    Happens all too much. Hang a really obnoxiously eye-catching "BIKE ON ROOF" tag on your rearview mirror.

Members who have read this thread: 0