Fork mount on the cheap- Mtbr.com
    Bloated Cubs Fan

Fork mount on the cheap

Hey guys, big ole' honking noob here. I'm gonna build a cheap fork mount rack for my pickup.
    I think it's the standard deal, 2 x 6 or 8, and a couple of fork mounts. It'll be in a Ford Ranger bed. Are there any tips/ tricks to save me some grief? Thanks in advance.

code: mtbr2011
    check out the thule 821 lowrider or the yakima 1117 blockhead.

cut your 2 x6 right, and screw these down, and you're golden.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdude
    Hey guys, big ole' honking noob here. I'm gonna build a cheap fork mount rack for my pickup.
    I think it's the standard deal, 2 x 6 or 8, and a couple of fork mounts. It'll be in a Ford Ranger bed. Are there any tips/ tricks to save me some grief? Thanks in advance.
    I can't remember which brand I had, but I had a couple of those fork mounts bolted into the bed of my old truck. I've seen them on other trucks bolted to the front of the cargo box as well. No lumber involved with either of those techniques, but with fork mount bolted to bed of truck, it does affect what else you might do with the back of the truck. That's what is nice about using the bed rail as a mounting point.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    check out the thule 821 lowrider or the yakima 1117 blockhead.

cut your 2 x6 right, and screw these down, and you're golden.
    Cheaper yet...

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/145...Bike-Mount.htm

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...0_20000_400019

Bloated Cubs Fan
    Gonna give it a whirl. I don't think the top of my cargo box is wide enough. That would've been ideal. I picked up the mounts with the bikes. I just need to make a Lowes run for the lumber.
    Last edited by waterdude; 07-07-2010 at 02:34 PM. Reason: found answer

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Cheaper yet if you have copper steel piping an a MIG or gas welder.... I tossed together a few mounts a year or two ago and they worked well. You need a strong piece of stock for the bracket but any piping will do as long as it's small enough to hold the axle or QR. You can use washers on the ends if the pipe is a little big if you need to. The fork mounts that you buy are worth the money however.

A.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you want real cheap, dirtbag cheap, cut a piece of 2x2 lumber 100mm long (for standard QR forks) and drill a hole through the middle lenghtwise, and put a spare wheel skewer in it. clamp it to whatever with some pipe clamps.

for a 20mm fork, find a piece of PVC pipe with a 20mm ID and cut it to 110mm and clamp it down the same way.

I made a set of bike carriers for a car years ago this way, using a cut up old pair of downhill skis as the "wheel tray" Lasted for 5+ years of nearly daily summer use.

Members who have read this thread: 0