fork mount for 20mm t/a?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

fork mount for 20mm t/a?

when i transport the nice rig inside the Jeep for additional security and stealth, i've got a basic setup with a slab of wood and a couple QR type mounts, simple and has worked well.

have since upgraded to a 20mm t/a fork, and of course the QR mounts no longer secure the fork. any good solutions out there without spending much? would prefer to just replace one of the QR brackets with a T/A one, but the only one i see is one made for bike racks...

mtbr member
    the best i could come up with is picking up one of the bike rack mounted ones like this...

and then bending the tabs 90 degrees so they can be mounted onto the board. would suck if the tabs just snapped off after bending though, and it's not exactly cheap at 35 bucks to be hammering on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Can you just mount the Fork up directly to your QR mount?

mtbr member
    man that part looks like it would be such a cake job for even a beginner welder, how they can charge $35 bucks for that thing is beyond me

Picture Unrelated
    Yeah, why bend it, just put it on the QR mounts. It's an easy $35 to spend, I've had mine for probably 6 years.

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    man that part looks like it would be such a cake job for even a beginner welder, how they can charge $35 bucks for that thing is beyond me
    that's because people find their time more valuable than spending the time trying to find the metal, cut it to the right size, and weld it, etc..etc.....
    .i could see that taking even the most experienced welder 2 hours to make that thing one off....not to mention the cost of materials.

if time is all you've got, then you should make a batch of them and sell them for $20. see how much gross profit you've got at the end of the day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Yeah, why bend it, just put it on the QR mounts. It's an easy $35 to spend, I've had mine for probably 6 years.
    because of the additional height would make it too tall for use inside the vehicle. unfortunately there just isn't room to stack two adapters like that.

Picture Unrelated
    because of the additional height would make it too tall for use inside the vehicle. unfortunately there just isn't room to stack two adapters like that.
    Just roll it forward or backward on the mount, the fork tabs don't need to go straight up and down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    that's because people find their time more valuable than spending the time trying to find the metal, cut it to the right size, and weld it, etc..etc.....
    .i could see that taking even the most experienced welder 2 hours to make that thing one off....not to mention the cost of materials.

if time is all you've got, then you should make a batch of them and sell them for $20. see how much gross profit you've got at the end of the day.
    time isn't the issue, it's equipment and experience. i don't think you give enough credit to do-it-yourselfers, there are many people out there that would rather whip up something themself rather than paying someone else to do it, even if it takes several hours. same reason people enjoy building wheels, and anything else that they can practically do on their own.

at the end of the day all i see is a small cut of tube and two brackets welded together. i still don't see $35 worth of product. there are many things i can spend $35 on and get a lot more engineering and value from than a few chunks of welded metal. i may still buy one though it if will work, so it's not like it's a deal breaker, just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Just roll it forward or backward on the mount, the fork tabs don't need to go straight up and down.
    yea i see what you're saying, but that's doesn't seem quite as secure to me. it would be prone to slipping out forward or backward, and the fork would no longer be centered over the wood base. just not crazy about having to use two adapters to do the job that one should be able to do.

Picture Unrelated
    that's not very secure imo, since it would be prone to slipping out forward or backward, and the fork would no longer be centered over the wood base. just not crazy about having to use two adapters to do the job that one should be able to do.
    Man, do you want help or do you want to e-argue? I can do both, but give me a chance.

Again, I've had a Forkup for 6 years, and with a couple fork models, I've actually been required to run it tipped forward or back. Now if I can trust it with a DH bike on my roof, I think you can give it a try for a bike in the back of a car. See those little bumps at the bottom of the fork tabs? They're called lawyer tabs, and they're designed to keep the fork in place should the force be less than adequate. It works, you can hang the damn bike upside down by them if you'd like. But if you provide adequate force on the QR, then you can hold the Forkup adapter at any angle you'd like and it will stay there.

mtbr member
    Man, do you want help or do you want to e-argue? I can do both, but give me a chance.

Again, I've had a Forkup for 6 years, and with a couple fork models, I've actually been required to run it tipped forward or back. Now if I can trust it with a DH bike on my roof, I think you can give it a try for a bike in the back of a car. See those little bumps at the bottom of the fork tabs? They're called lawyer tabs, and they're designed to keep the fork in place should the force be less than adequate. It works, you can hang the damn bike upside down by them if you'd like. But if you provide adequate force on the QR, then you can hold the Forkup adapter at any angle you'd like and it will stay there.
    i'm not arguing bro, i'm just saying that i like keeping things simple

a single bracket mounted directly onto the board or vehicle frame, in which the fork mounts into vertically, is about as secure as it might get.

using two adapters, one being suspended at an angle with a quick release, and no longer being centered over the beam, just does not seem as securely fashioned to me.

i just can't help it, but in my mind, extra unnecessary parts are just extra things that can fail, so i try to eliminate those whenever possible. there is nothing wrong with me wanting to go with the most secure method. i appreciate your input but it's not what i personally am looking for with this setup. thank you though for taking the time to explain your idea

Picture Unrelated
    I mean failing an adapter, you really will need to source someone to weld something up, Maybe a bit of pipe on some angle iron or something, then you can bolt the whole thing down. It's just a bit easier to put on the Forkup and set it down onto a QR style mount. That way you don't have to hold the bike up and straight with one hand while trying to thread the TA through the whole deal. You could always surf through QBP at a bike shop and see if you can find what you're looking for.

code: mtbr2011
    time isn't the issue, it's equipment and experience. i don't think you give enough credit to do-it-yourselfers, there are many people out there that would rather whip up something themself rather than paying someone else to do it, even if it takes several hours. same reason people enjoy building wheels, and anything else that they can practically do on their own..
    you may be right about not giving DIY enough credit, i can admit that...but fabrication isn't my thing.
    besides, we're talking about a thru axle adapter here...someone else has already done the homework making a product that works, is effective and relatively inexpensive.
    ..that to me is value. i would spend 2 hours trying to source materials before i even put on a welding mask.

remember....the bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....

i've got a 9 month old at home....if i spend all my free time trying to DIY, i'll never get a chance to ride! instead, i choose DIY projects that make sense for me....like bike maintenance - it's easier for me to do it, cause i know how, it's cheaper and i don't have to be without my bike waiting for the shop to get around to it...

EDR
    Just use the fork-up and lay it down like zebrahum is saying. Once the qr is tightened onto the fork-up mount you could tug at it with a bulldozer and it's not gonna come off. If you look at the fork up you will see a little nub on each 'leg', the qr engages above those nubs holding it secure.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Get L-shaped bracket, drill holes if not already there, bolt onto your current wood slab and onto the fork mount.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Or get yourself one of these. Accepts both QR and TA. Little more expensive though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Just use the fork-up and lay it down like zebrahum is saying. Once the qr is tightened onto the fork-up mount you could tug at it with a bulldozer and it's not gonna come off. If you look at the fork up you will see a little nub on each 'leg', the qr engages above those nubs holding it secure.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
    that would work, but it would damage the caliper that is attached to the fork. that is the reason the bracket suspends the axle up a couple inches, to allow the caliper room to hang down a tad.

not so easy peasy, weezy fleazy

mtbr member
    i emailed Ron at Hurricane (maker of Fork Up) and he seems open to the idea of churning out a few flat-mountable Fork Up brackets, which is very cool. here is a hacked up image (gotta love mspaint hah) just to clarify what i am talking about. if anyone else is interested send me a PM or respond here...

EDR
    that would work, but it would damage the caliper that is attached to the fork. that is the reason the bracket suspends the axle up a couple inches, to allow the caliper room to hang down a tad.

not so easy peasy, weezy fleazy
    Just rotate it the other way. You can darn near flip it upside down if you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Just rotate it the other way. You can darn near flip it upside down if you want.
    i see how the bumps on the end will keep it from slipping out, but i still very much doubt that you could suspend the bracket almost horizontally using just a quick release clamp. the physics are telling me it's not going to be able to resist rotating with the bike's weight jarring and bouncing around in a vehicle, it's going to eventually rotate until it bottoms the fork and potentially damages the brake caliper, air nozzle, adjustment knobs, and whatever other sensitive items are on the bottom area of the fork.

to me it's just not worth the risk of damaging a brand new $700 fork, when there may be an option to go to a single rigid mount which is more robust and secure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Its a funny arguement. I was the owner of Huricane Components and designer and patent holder for the Fork Up products. I sold the company back in 2003 and am no longer associated with Hurricane other then caring about the products I designed and developed.

Look at everything on your bike, a handlebar for instance, just a bent piece of tubing right? how about the frame, just pieces of tubing welded together.
    Sure it would be semi-easy to build your own 20mm fork mount for yourself, but it really is'nt that simple. First, youll have to find a source for the right size (ID) tubing, preferrally DOM tubing because you cant use welded seemed tubing because of inconsistancies in the seem, then you have to precisely cut it to length, deburr and clean it to ready it for welding, then the legs have to be made, then all pieces, inserted into a jig so you can keep your dim's accurate,consistant and precise. Last step is the finish, in which the Fork Up's are powdercoated, because steel tends to rust quickly. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important details, liability insurance and profit.
    I know its not rocket science making the Fork Up, but why does a handlebar cost upwards of $200? or a bike frame? Its because all the things that you dont see, thats why. The Fork Up is priced very fairly and reasonable at $35 for standard 20mm as shown above.
    Another great feature not expressed in the postings and to question why you would like to permanetly attach it to your rack is, that it is 'transversible" from rack to rack, meaning your bike with a 20mm axle, Lefty, 25mm axle, etc. will fit into any fork mounted rack, that way you dont have to drive your vehicle all the time because your bike did'nt fit on your riding buddies racks.
    And yes, you can rotate 360 degrees and you will most certainly not have qr failure just as you dont have your front wheel drop off the end of your fork when you lift the front end while riding. As long as you have clearence it really doesnt matter how the F/U is mounted

EDR
    the physics are telling me it's not going to be able to resist rotating with the bike's weight jarring and bouncing around in a vehicle, it's going to eventually rotate until it bottoms the fork and potentially damages the brake caliper, air nozzle, adjustment knobs, and whatever other sensitive items are on the bottom area of the fork.
    From experience I tell you your fears are unfounded.

All I can tell you is I've been using one in the bed of my truck, mounted to a QR type fit for years now. I probably have my Fork Up at a 45 or 50 degree angle from full vertical and it has never ever moved. From road trips on the highway to 14 mile fireroad climbs up rutted dirt roads for shuttling........never moved. I have to run it at this angle so I can rotate my Maxle lever without it hitting my truck bed.

However, with all the doubt you have about something you've never laid your hands on, I agree that you should look for something else.

NMBP
    I've been using this for years, works great, very hard to buy one though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff
    Its a funny arguement. I was the owner of Huricane Components and designer and patent holder for the Fork Up products. I sold the company back in 2003 and am no longer associated with Hurricane other then caring about the products I designed and developed.

Look at everything on your bike, a handlebar for instance, just a bent piece of tubing right? how about the frame, just pieces of tubing welded together.
    Sure it would be semi-easy to build your own 20mm fork mount for yourself, but it really is'nt that simple. First, youll have to find a source for the right size (ID) tubing, preferrally DOM tubing because you cant use welded seemed tubing because of inconsistancies in the seem, then you have to precisely cut it to length, deburr and clean it to ready it for welding, then the legs have to be made, then all pieces, inserted into a jig so you can keep your dim's accurate,consistant and precise. Last step is the finish, in which the Fork Up's are powdercoated, because steel tends to rust quickly. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important details, liability insurance and profit.
    I know its not rocket science making the Fork Up, but why does a handlebar cost upwards of $200? or a bike frame? Its because all the things that you dont see, thats why. The Fork Up is priced very fairly and reasonable at $35 for standard 20mm as shown above.
    Another great feature not expressed in the postings and to question why you would like to permanetly attach it to your rack is, that it is 'transversible" from rack to rack, meaning your bike with a 20mm axle, Lefty, 25mm axle, etc. will fit into any fork mounted rack, that way you dont have to drive your vehicle all the time because your bike did'nt fit on your riding buddies racks.
    And yes, you can rotate 360 degrees and you will most certainly not have qr failure just as you dont have your front wheel drop off the end of your fork when you lift the front end while riding. As long as you have clearence it really doesnt matter how the F/U is mounted
    i guess if you're the type that overspends to the degree of a $200 handlebar, then i reckon money is not much an issue with you. myself i purchased a Ritchey Pro aluminum bar for about as much as the Fork Up, and it's held up great. I can assure you that there was a great deal more engineering that went into that handlebar as well.

but i'm not going to argue about the price of the unit, it's really not that huge of a deal. if i was so worried about it why would i bother contacting the manufacturer about making a custom bracket?

so far Ron has been quite responsive and i am very impressed with their desire to satisfy the customer. that alone (high quality service and people) more than make up for the item being seemingly a bit pricey.

i will make a new thread to gauge interest in this new part, because obviously this thread is not the proper place for anything that productive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    I've been using this for years, works great, very hard to buy one though.
    it doesn't get much more secure than that, thanks for the tease

mtbr member
    If interested please visit the new thread to gauge interest in this part, otherwise i welcome any and all arguments against such heresy to continue in this thread

Picture Unrelated
    Why bother to continue? The person who made the product told you the same thing everyone else has. I think it will be a good idea, may be well received, but is unneeded. Not that anyone's opinion other than yours is valid.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

NMBP
    Why bother to continue? The person who made the product told you the same thing everyone else has. I think it will be a good idea, may be well received, but is unneeded. Not that anyone's opinion other than yours is valid.
    If there was such a product available, I wouldn't have made the one that I made. My bike goes in the back a truck that has a shell on it. It is very tight lengthwise, height wise and width wise. My Fork Up worked initially, but there was always a lot of messing around with everything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does everyone get the impression this guy just likes to argue over irrevelant topics and ideas?
    No, I dont always spend $200 on a handlebar, although I could have easily, but you missed the point, I said if you look at the price of things and I gave you an example of a piece of tubing being made into a handlebar, is it worth of upwards of $200 or in your case $30? probably not, but again what product really is?
    I could have and I guess Ron, could of had the product made overseas (the Fork Ups have always been made in the USA) we could of run the risk of taking a job away from a hard working American worker, then the F/U priced at $5 would still be too much, because the guy now is unemployed. We could have also have had in made in China and priced it the same and made a bigger profit. For a part retailing for $35, everyone takes a cut and believe me, the manufacturer of that parts get the least amount of that cut.

As far as your little design of a modified F/U, thats a stupid idea. try holding your bike up while threading your axle through the fork and mount, while do-able its just a pain in the arse, its much easier to use the F/U as intended and stop trying to create interest in a dumb idea. If your homemade rack already has a 9mm fork mount, you will not need two adapters for one fork.

mtbr member
    As far as your little design of a modified F/U, thats a stupid idea. try holding your bike up while threading your axle through the fork and mount, while do-able its just a pain in the arse, its much easier to use the F/U as intended and stop trying to create interest in a dumb idea. If your homemade rack already has a 9mm fork mount, you will not need two adapters for one fork.
    Wow, all I can really say in response to you calling the idea stupid, which other people have indicated interest in by the way, is that I believe Hurricane products is lucky to have rid themselves of you. With this kind of attitude I'm surprised you're able to keep any job for any length of time.

I honestly don't really care what you think of the idea, I'm not working with you on anything and never intend to, and certainly am not looking for your approval. I don't care how many companies you own or have founded. It's pretty clear that there may be some interest in this though, at least a couple others have posted indicating they either made their own or found other solutions since none currently exist.

Again, I don't really know what a $200 handlebar has to do with anything, you seem to do a good job at saying a whole lot without really saying much, except maybe for calling people stupid. I guess you're also calling crashtestdummy and others stupid, because that's what you've basically done. I would strongly advise throwing in the towel now before you make yourself look even more sorry.

ps: and if you find it terribly difficult to hold up the front end of a bike with one hand, and screw in an axle with the other, then you probably shouldn't be riding bikes in the first place. you might get badly hurt.

mtbr member
    holy crap its 35 bucks! thats nothing, dirt cheap! you couldnt reproduce that at home even for 50, even if you did have the tools. i award you the cheapest poster of the year award!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot
    holy crap its 35 bucks! thats nothing, dirt cheap! you couldnt reproduce that at home even for 50, even if you did have the tools. i award you the cheapest poster of the year award!
    i prefer to call it being frugal

Yes, that's fonetic
    i see how the bumps on the end will keep it from slipping out, but i still very much doubt that you could suspend the bracket almost horizontally using just a quick release clamp. the physics are telling me it's not going to be able to resist rotating with the bike's weight jarring and bouncing around in a vehicle, it's going to eventually rotate until it bottoms the fork and potentially damages the brake caliper, air nozzle, adjustment knobs, and whatever other sensitive items are on the bottom area of the fork.

to me it's just not worth the risk of damaging a brand new $700 fork, when there may be an option to go to a single rigid mount which is more robust and secure.
    I "risk" my $1300 Fox 40 in mine all the time in the back of my truck. The only issue is there's a limit to how far you can rotate the ForkUp due to the long adjuster knobs on the bottom of the fork.

NMBP
    The fork mount that I designed and built allows the fork to sit on the mount while axle is being inserted, you then raise the fork up 1/20" and the axle slides in. Mine is so stupid that I have had several people ask me for drawings of it. Yours free with a simple PM.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    The fork mount that I designed and built allows the fork to sit on the mount while axle is being inserted, you then raise the fork up 1/20" and the axle slides in. Mine is so stupid that I have had several people ask me for drawings of it. Yours free with a simple PM.
    I like the magnet to hold the allen wrench but the whole thing would have to be raised a couple inches to accept a Fox 40 due to the adjusters on the bottom.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    I like the magnet to hold the allen wrench but the whole thing would have to be raised a couple inches to accept a Fox 40 due to the adjusters on the bottom.
    I've probably lost a dozen hex wrenches from the back of my truck, then I got wise.

I made mine for a WB Fluid 130 fork. It would probably need modifications for other models.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Im not calling you stupid personally, I know you about as you much as you know me. I'm sure your a pretty good guy. You mountainbike with a bike that uses a 20mm fork and you own a Jeep, you cant be all that bad.
    I just think Im somewhat of an authority on the matter, since we produced the Fork Up since 1996 and have worked with all the major fork brands to produce a F/U to fit their brand, I even designed the model for new QR15 model forks. Just to clear some things up, back in 1996, we made a few Fork Ups very similar to the one that crashtestdummy made, as seen in his post, the problem myself and the others whom tried them, complained about trying to hold up their bike while threadeding the axle throughthe mount and their fork, yeah, its not
    brain surgery or a lack of strength, its just somewhat of a pain the arse ...so thats why I dont like your idea.
    I think the reason that rack manufactures have not jumped on the "all through axle" bandwagon is because of 1) there being several T/A designs 2) it would be limiting to their core product. If the day ever comes, when all forks, for all bikes, either road or mountain, use the same type mount, that will be the day when a adapter will no longer be needed. I do agree with on always finding a better way to improve a product or create a new one, that was pretty much how I started Hurricane, but your idea has already been tried with limited succes.

The whole idea behind the F/U was, that you did not have to dedicate a fork mount to one that just uses a 20mm (or other non 9mm type). If using a 20mm or other type axle exclusively is the only way you'll ever go, I guess its fine, but by using a F/U on a fork mount, you give yourself a lot more options.
    So Im sorry if I offended you, or anyone else for that matter over this subject.

Also, the "$200 handlebar" was just to make a point about pricing of products and their actual worth. It was'nt stating that all I buy is $200 handlebars.

BTW, I sold Hurricane to Allied back in 2003, so, I rid myself of Hurricane, not the other way around. Before 2003 we manufactured, seatposts, cranksets, stems V brake (until 2000) and Fork Up's as well as some softgoods( t shirts, socks, saddles etc.) We also ran a racing team from 1998-2003.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 02-14-2010 at 11:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Im not calling you stupid personnally, just calling the idea stupid, I dont carre ow many people support your idea.
    BTW, Huricane did not rid me from them, I sold the company to Allied.
    Some of you people need to start thinking beyond yourselves and your own little worlds, and realize that different people have different needs and requirements. Just because you can do the job with existing hardware, doesn't mean it's the best way nor does it mean it would be ideal for someone else. There is always a better way to do something, and the day we stop trying to figure out those ways is the day we are no longer human.

Eventually when thru-axles become more and more popular, requiring people to buy a separate QR mount when they may not even own a QR fork just makes no sense to me. But I'm not going to call anyone's thoughts stupid, because that would demonstrate the same arrogance, lack of respect, and superiority complex that you have shown (which is clearly misguided in your case).

NMBP
    What he said ^^^^^^^^^
    Im not calling you stupid personnally, just calling the idea stupid, I dont carre ow many people support your idea.
    BTW, Huricane did not rid me from them, I sold the company to Allied.
    I would imagine that there were lots of narrow minded thinkers that called the Fork Up stupid. FWIW I own a Fork Up, the only time I need it is using someone else's qr mount, which is rare. If I need to carry my bike on Yak bars or Road Warrior, I use another mount I made. It's probably stupid also.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fork mount for 20mm t/a?-p1163042-large-.jpg  

mtbr member

The man has a point. I too have been put off that there does not exist a dedicated 20mm mount.

Your advice is correct but does not exactly address the guys question.
    Nobody cares...........

bike-zilla
    SRAM Flytrap is really nice, I use one, but the cheapest you can get them for is around $50. I have heard that the Hurricane mounts aren't very well finished and can mar your axle. For 15 more dollars I would buy the Flytrap if were you...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I cant speak how well the finishing is on the Fork Up nowadays but we never had any issues to speak of before 2003. We always used DOM tubing (seemless tubing, drawn over a mandrel) and media tumbled all of the parts before welding. But this is now, cant tell you how they are produced now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greengreer
    SRAM Flytrap is really nice, I use one, but the cheapest you can get them for is around $50. I have heard that the Hurricane mounts aren't very well finished and can mar your axle. For 15 more dollars I would buy the Flytrap if were you...
    That's been my experience with 2 of them, total crap. Scratch and mar up your maxle and the powder coat comes off as if it were Sharpie. There was also obvious uneven edges on the end of the tubing and it was rough inside with what appeared to be a seem. Funny, my 2 actually looked like they were made by a beginning welder. Avoid the Hurricane fork up if you can.

Hurricane Jeff, if you talk to the current owners, tell them to start making a better product.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'll let them know...thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CVrider
    Or get yourself one of these. Accepts both QR and TA. Little more expensive though.

where do they sell those?

bike-zilla

Members who have read this thread: 0