Fork Damage. truck bed mount- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fork Damage. truck bed mount

I just put together a fork mount bar for my truck bed. This is a common configuration but I'm worried about damage to the forks of my bikes. one is a through axle and the other is a QR. I'm thinking that without having the rear wheel strapped down that the bike will bounce up and down a bit. If this happens and the fork mount can't pivot then the interface between the mount and the fork will rub and wear down and damage the fork lowers. Am I over thinking this or has anyone had a problem before. Here's my setupFork Damage. truck bed mount-80-20160109_124120_23ed27ad9cedb05d9a7986a0fadfaca3c2bbf05c.jpg

Ride in heat
    May 2012
    Can't imagine how it can affect the forks, since a fork is under much more stress during rides. But I still would want to fixate the rear wheel somehow at least for a side-to-side movement. Could you please give a close up of the fork mounts themselves? I might copy it for my truck either ))))

mtbr member
    the damage will be to the fork from rubbing against the fixed mount not to an impact. When a wheel is mounted to the fork the interface between the hub and fork is stationary, the bike rotates around the hubs bearings. In the bed mount, if the bike is rotated around the mount there is no bearing for it to rotate around, therefor something has to give and the fork will grind against the mount.

mtbr member
    You're all good man. I have a buddy with the exact setup made by Thule. Just clamps the fork dropouts and the rear wheel isn't fixed. He has used this setup for years with no problems.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I run mounts like that on the lid of my pickups toolbox. So far the bike has has ridden my pickup for roughly 1800 miles and I have seen no damage. Even going down washboarded gravel roads the fork was fine. And Im only running a basic SR suntour fork on $11 mounts from Amazon.