Ford Flex: What do you think?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ford Flex: What do you think?

I just saw a bunch of these down at the local motel the other night. I know they aren't due for release until next summer but they looked pretty cool.They all had Michigan plates so I suspect it was some factory or magazine testing going on.

Roomy. Unique looking. Good bike/people hauler. Thought's anyone

Here's a link and photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

Depends on MPG etc.

My Subaru Outback gives me more than enough storage, AWD, top safety and reliability ratings and somewhat acceptable mpg. Hell, even our Mini gives me enough storage most of the time, its a joy to drive and gets 40+ mpg so a pretty face with lousy mpg is nothing interesting at all to me.

I'm afraid I'm of the lost generation of car buyers who remembers nothing more than American vehicles not lasting as long as their payments. No matter what goes on the market from Ford, GM or Chrysler, I was lost decades ago. Its a mental image that can't be reversed at this stage.

Sad but true. Nice looking truck though.

mtbr member
    Oh so original... I see range rover in the front and the overal lines of a Mini...

All most likely with the legendary quality of Ford NA...
    "Early bird gets the worm", but the second mouse gets the cheese...

'Calm Down'
    Things are changing: Ford Quality

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Sisco_28601
    All most likely with the legendary quality of Ford NA...
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Muskoka
    Any vehicle not also available with a manual tranny is off the list for me.

ballbuster

JD Powers....

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOne
    Things are changing: Ford Quality

jw
    .... initial quality. What happens at 80k miles? Hopefully not the same as my mo-inlaw's Mercury Tracer. That thing was totally falling apart at 80k miles. Engine blew at 110k miles, and she followed all the recommended service.

Again, back to engineering not designed to outlast the car payments. Sad, but true. I really wanted to like Fords, but in my experience, the durability just isn't there. I tend to keep my cars 150k miles +.

Has any body else noticed a pattern with the big three auto mfgs? They suck for a while, then they come out with 'oh, quality is job one!' and they make it look like they totally re-vamped their stuff. This cycle repeats about every 6 years or so. Translate: 'We don't suck as much as we used to!'

BTW, VW GTi just turned over to 203k miles and still runs great. Could use a new set of shocks and suspension bushings in the near future, but other than that, its solid. Also, bonus for VW to still make manuals on most of their models in the US. THey are just about the only sporty wagon with a stick these days. I think a Jetta or Passat wagon is my next car. The 2 door GTi kinda sucks to get a baby in and out of the back seat rocket chair.

mtbr member
    I think its a nice lookin' vehicle

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    It looks like this would be a reasonable alternative to a minivan. Reminds me of a hearse but I like it.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Yep, the Range Rover, Mini, and Scion b styling cues are definitely there. They've also borrowed another idea from Scion with a bunch of customization options available from the factory. It is a bit minivanish but is lower and identifies more with wagons and crossover vehicles like the Pacifica, Pilot, MDX, and XC70.

The engine and drive train will be the same as the new Edge/TaurusX 3.5 V-6 rated at 270 hp with a 6 speed automatic (fuel economy 18-23mpg) The interior versatility looks good too but not as good as the Element. Bikes will have to lay flat or go on the roof it looks like.

As far as ford quality.... I can't speak to anything but personal history. Four fords over the last 15 years and very little trouble with any of them. Two VWs over the last three years with all kinds of quirks and hiccups. Plus it's the only local dealer for me which makes a difference. It was such a hassle getting the VWs serviced and warranty issues taken care of without a dealer within 250 miles.

Another thing that was interesting about the test vehicles I saw at the motel was that at least one of them had some interesting valves and outlets protruding from under the rear bumber. One was labeled fuel dump. One looked like a outlet of some sort, and one looked like a valve for natural gas maybe?

Maybe they're testing alternative fuels and/or hybrid possiblities. That should pique the interest of some.
    Last edited by KRob; 12-15-2007 at 11:48 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba
    My Subaru Outback gives me more than enough storage, AWD, top safety and reliability ratings and somewhat acceptable mpg. Hell, even our Mini gives me enough storage most of the time, its a joy to drive and gets 40+ mpg so a pretty face with lousy mpg is nothing interesting at all to me.

I'm afraid I'm of the lost generation of car buyers who remembers nothing more than American vehicles not lasting as long as their payments. No matter what goes on the market from Ford, GM or Chrysler, I was lost decades ago. Its a mental image that can't be reversed at this stage.

Sad but true. Nice looking truck though.
    Has Detroit given up on aerodynamics or what? Why is it that a good majority of what Detroit is offering looks like a brick with wheels???

I recently purchased a new Subaru Impreza as my daily driver. I can say that Detroit didn't offer anything that impressed/interested me at all. Regardless of my screen name, I would not buy anything from Chrysler that they offer today.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

mtbr member

What were they thinking comes to mind.

Someone else said the mpg was 23 highway. To that I ask, "What were they thinking?"

Maybe 23 mpg is good for a current vehicle but coming out with yet another "truck" with poor mpg when gas prices are steadly climbing appears to be nothing more than very poor planning. By the time it hits the market gas may have climbed to $4/gallon in the US. Auto companies need to plan ahead, not keep looking behind.

Having a choice of 100's of vehicles this year, we went with the base Mini Cooper and the 40+ mpg it offered. I'm not exactly a leader in my opinions so if I went for mpg, there are millions of other buyers looking for the same thing. Four wheeled boxes are highly over-rated and so "yesterday."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I think they are going to be alright 7 pasenger, 3.5 v6 ,awd,6 speed trans,refridgerator,low curb height.

jrm
    mtbr member

Like a element with a chubby..

cool looking for sure..

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Ehh, my Ford truck has 100,000 miles on it and I've only had to do maintenance. Doesn't burn oil, runs like a top. I think Ford tends to have different "levels" when it comes to their vehicles. Their little cars, focus's, taurus, and all other permutations never seem to be made to last as long as they make their trucks last....Don't know why. I don't understand why Ford feels the need to release another large gas guzzler. 23MPG isn't going to sell a whole lot of vehicles when fuel is 4 bucks a gallon.

-ER

jrm
    mtbr member

Only thing is its a ford

Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    I just saw a bunch of these down at the local motel the other night. I know they aren't due for release until next summer but they looked pretty cool.They all had Michigan plates so I suspect it was some factory or magazine testing going on.

Roomy. Unique looking. Good bike/people hauler. Thought's anyone

Here's a link and photo.
    and there chasing a market with a later entry..typical. Now if it had All time WD, triptronic shfiters, and load of HP...then well..

Members who have read this thread: 0