Dirt Huffer

Ford F150 vs Chevy vs Toyota - Bed Bounce

I think you'll find these test rather interesting
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

This one is also really interesting.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZF77tgk

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    You do realize that this is meaningless, right? I'm sure one could just as easily find a resonate frequency in which the Ford comes out the "loser". You're not likely to see that in a presentation by Ford though. I didn't even bother looking at the other one (the link didn't work anyway).
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    im a ford guy but who the heck drives that fast over bumps anyway? I mean unless they run baja on a stock truck I guess this may influence them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah. marketing ****.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastTrash
    im a ford guy but who the heck drives that fast over bumps anyway? I mean unless they run baja on a stock truck I guess this may influence them.

If you watch the video you would see the caption "entrance speed 28 mph". since when is 28 mph "fast"? I don't think you would win many "baja" races at 28 mph.
    The test results would have been the same at 18mph or 28mph by virtue of a superior suspension and stronger frame, thats right they are not all created equal.
    20 some years ago I started my career as a mechanic, I thought I knew everything, and I was a Chevy guy, however after years of working on trucks you get to see first hand how these vehicles are bolted together, what works and what doesn't.
    When people ask my advice about what truck to buy I always tell them Ford.

BTW I'm not saying that the Chevy and Toyota are junk, I don't think anyone is building junk any more, having said that in 2006 Toyota recalled more vehicles then it sold in the us.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Diamondhead I meant who is going to drive over that many bumps at that rate of speed? I mean I drive my truck 03 F150 4wd like a loony toon, but if I see lots of bumps like that im gonna slow down and just crawl over them.

sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastTrash
    Diamondhead I meant who is going to drive over that many bumps at that rate of speed? I mean I drive my truck 03 F150 4wd like a loony toon, but if I see lots of bumps like that im gonna slow down and just crawl over them.

Hey your right Coast Trash, no one should ever drive there trucks like that, however Ford has to torture test it's truck, and test them against the competition. It's not about marketing, its about bringing the highest quality vehicle to the market. (the video was an "inside" engineering video that someone released to the public on YouTube, and I don't think you would hear anyone from Ford complain about that)
    The people decide who makes the best trucks, by buying them, with there hard earned dollars, and for the past 31 years the people have spoken.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondhead
    Hey your right Coast Trash, no one should ever drive there trucks like that, however Ford has to torture test it's truck, and test them against the competition. It's not about marketing, its about bringing the highest quality vehicle to the market. (the video was an "inside" engineering video that someone released to the public on YouTube, and I don't think you would hear anyone from Ford complain about that)
    The people decide who makes the best trucks, by buying them, with there hard earned dollars, and for the past 31 years the people have spoken.

+1 This test merely shows how well the frame and suspension technology have been engineered. You certainly could not test this by driving to the grocery store.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    that may be very likely conditions on very bad wash board roads(not all pick-ups drive on the pavement all the time ) and bad pave road conditions at hwy speed can produce just as much suspension action.

mtbr member
    why was the test done at 28mph, why not 25 or 30? maybe because thats must be (or close to) the resonace frequency of the frame material in both the chevy and toyota, as was mentioned before, im sure something close to that the ford starts rattling too...thats why super huge earth quakes are not as destructive to modern bridges as the perfect frequency earth quake

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it mostly boils down to the counterweight that is on the rear of the ford truck frame / suspension ...

but eh, either way .. 2 out of the 3 trucks in that test are still nice ... won't comment on the toyota tho ...

Dirt Huffer
    Or maybe it just has to do with the Toyota having a much weaker riveted open C channel frame where as the F150 has a fully boxed welded frame. hmmm

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Or maybe it just has to do with the Toyota having a much weaker riveted open C channel frame where as the F150 has a fully boxed welded frame. hmmm
    yeah it wasn't really a 'fair' test ... toyota with an old frame design ... chevy with just a boxed frame .. and ford with a boxed and counterweighted frame

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC
    Jeez, cuz we know how weak those semi trucks are hauling 80k with c-channel frames. I own a current model F150, but come on, don't be so gullible. It's like that dumb DVD, "the truth about trucks" that came with my F150. The truth, or certain specific aspects that only favor the Ford.

Harrumph
    Suspension stiffness and weight play a big role in that "test." As a 05 F-150 owner who is aware of how F'n much it weighs, about 700lbs more for a comparable Toyota, I can understand a lighter truck getting tossed around and the F-150 just plowing through. For the 90% of people that have a truck as a daily driver (including, maybe especially, those deadset against the Toyota) that weight doesn't help when driving. And when was the last time you really had a problem with bed flex anyway. I'll point out the Chevy and Toyota had their equivalent "off road" susepension packages on the trucks tested, and the Ford tested did not. I bet my FX4 trim F-150 would have had wheels off the ground the majority of the time. In the second video, the Tundra didn't have 4wd on and hit the ditch slower and steeper. I could get my Suby through that ditch at the angle the Silverado went at, it's all in the "spin." Moral of the story, legitmate media is bad, manufacturer based Youtube is even worse. I'm not saying one truck is better, they all have their problems. But it's pretty easy to make it look good for what your sellin'.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Members who have read this thread: 0