ford contour options?- Mtbr.com
    beefcake on wheels

ford contour options?

current i'm restricted to local trails i can bike to ( which isn't a huge deal since theres plenty not far from the backyard) but i'd like to travel the bike around more. before anyone says to just sell the car, its a 98 with 43 000 kms (grand parents car) and i didn't pay for it. so selling it outta the option atm.

i've asked a few local bike shops and they have nothing to offer along the lines of roof racks for my car. they just looked through the catelog of racks and basically all ford cars of 1998 model year have a roof option excluding the contour and something else, crown vic maybe. so i'm leaning towards a hitch system i think

problem is the car doesn't have the hitch assembly, i know that some contours (v6 models) could come with them, so i'm guessing it would be possible to pick up that part from ford, install then go hitch route. i haven't a clue how they are fastened to the car itself though, like bolted or welded? or if i could just buy a generic hitch thing and weld it to something sturdy

i think i'd prefer a hitch system, since it wouldn't crap up the roof, i'm very likely to drive bikes mounted on a roof into something and could be easily removed. although i'm open to either.

i know i could use the trunk mounted set up as well but i dont wanna have any damage to the trunk itself, like seals paint etc. plus having 3 bikes + rack hanging off of something not designed for it kinda makes me uneasy.

one that note any info would be much appritiated

Auto-x addict
    http://www.etrailer.com/productdetai...arfrom=1998&h=

Bolt on, less than 1 hour install time by an amateur, and only a hundred bucks.

beefcake on wheels
    thanks very much for that link :P pretty much solved that issue

Members who have read this thread: 0