FJ Cruiser racks?- Mtbr.com
    Baton Rouge, LA

FJ Cruiser racks?

Anyone using the factorfy roof rack? As tall as the vehicle is I can imagine it being a pain to put the bike up there.

What about putting it in the rear? With the split seat folded?

Or is a swing away or drop down hitch rack the best way to go?

mtbr member
    I have racks (not factory racks) on my FJ but don't use them often. My FJ is lifted a bit so it is even higher than from the factory. I slipped once, fell, had the bike crash on top of me, and ended up pretty bruised up.

So I have the seat(s) down, well removed. And for me my bikes fit fine. I'm not tall, but the main problem I have when also putting a buddies bike back there is seat is usually too high.

I have to angle the back wheel to go on either side of the front seats. I don't think I could put three bikes in there.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Just curious, how the heck were you even getting to the top? Small step ladder or something?

mtbr member
    I open the side doors, lift the bike over my head with one hand, and climb up the door sill hanging on to the rails on the roof with the other hand. Really hard to do after a 4 hour ride... that is why I fell. I bought a wheel mounted ladder thingy to help me climb up there and it was not really helpful either, just scary to use.

A different setup for the roof rack (I am using Thule fork mount racks), might be to put the racks on the roof so that the rear tire is to the front of the truck and the fork clamp is to the rear. This way I could climb up from the rear and roll the back tire down the tray and then clamp the forks in. I doubt I'll try this anytime soon though, since it's winter and I pretty much just ride straight from my house.

code: mtbr2011
    thule spare me is a good option for the fj. you do have to make a small mod to the mounting plate doing some grinding.
    using any hitch mount racks will probably require some type of hitch extension to clear the spare tire adequately.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    thule spare me is a good option for the fj. you do have to make a small mod to the mounting plate doing some grinding.
    using any hitch mount racks will probably require some type of hitch extension to clear the spare tire adequately.
    I have the back up camera option, which is located where the Spare-Me would mount

Any other suggestions?

code: mtbr2011
    i would go for the roof rack...you can reconfigure the oem crossbars a few different ways on that car, and even remove some..
    check out the yakima forklift...it's a good, fork mounted rack that fits factory crossbars....or, the rocky mounts noose...(i prefer the forklift...better rack for this application, but more $$$)
    we've worked with the fj bars in the past, and they are more than adequate...
    the only thing to remember, is that you have a 2 bike maximum when using those bars.

too tall for you, go to walmart or target and get a small folding ladder that you can keep with you...i found a great one in moab a few years ago that gave me about 8" of extra height and i love it, but don't have a brand to give you...just a plastic foldup stool.

like the forklift? click here for a sweet deal for mtbr forum members.....

Members who have read this thread: 0