Fit Between Hitch and Adaptor- Mtbr.com
    Just Ride!

Fit Between Hitch and Adaptor

A question for you guys for a first time hitch owner. This is my first hitch and hitch rack setup and I was wondering if the tolerance between the hitch and the adaptor(2 inch rack to a 1 1/4 hitch) I use should be tight. I mean tight that I need to smack the adaptor a couple of times to get it in the hitch hole. Same thing taking the adaptor out of the hitch, I need to smack it out in reverse to get it out. Also, can I use grease to help in installing the adaptor into the hitch?

Thanks
    Last edited by Pigtire; 11-28-2007 at 08:37 PM.

thecentralscrutinizer
    If you can get it in/out you okay. It's common to have to wiggle the rack in the receiver to get them to move. Personally, I wouldn't grease it due to the mess of handling the rack outside of the receiver.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2019 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 29

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by mopartodd
    If you can get it in/out you okay. It's common to have to wiggle the rack in the receiver to get them to move. Personally, I wouldn't grease it due to the mess of handling the rack outside of the receiver.
    Thanks

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Little bit of grease is a good idea, IMO, but like todd said, could be messy.

ballbuster

Plus...

Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    Little bit of grease is a good idea, IMO, but like todd said, could be messy.
    .. grease will attract dirt.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    .. grease will attract dirt.
    'Tis true but from how I understood it he's having to smack the insert to get it in and out and the grease should help it move easier - especially if he's having to smack it with a hammer or something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Fit should be snug. Is the adapter powdercoated or painted? If so, that's likely causing the extreme tightness. Try sanding a bit of the paint off.

Grease is messy, but will stop the bits from rusting. i always lightly grease hitches and balls.

Just Ride!
    Well, I got really ticked so I returned the annoying rack and went to my local Performance shop and bought the Xport Slipstream. Now the attachment fits perfectly without any hammering. Thanks for all!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    If you have a class 1 receiver and were using a class 3 2" to class 2 1 1/4" adapter, it won't fit right because there is a dimpled part of your receiver that won't allow class 2 accessories. If you could cut a couple inches off the back end of the adapter, it would probably work.

Members who have read this thread: 0