finally going to build rack with pvc pipe for truck- Mtbr.com
    ride hard or die
    Mar 2004

finally going to build rack with pvc pipe for truck

hey all,
    finally decied that I am going to fab up a rack with pvc pipe, like I have seen done on this forum before. Any extra hints and tips to make this the most excellent rack ever would be great!

Manager
    Mar 2008
    I just built one yesterday in about 2 hrs, while watching TV and drinking beer. it is a lot of cuts, if you have a saw that is electric I would use that.

If you have a short bed Tacoma in the new body style, your 16 1/2 in long cuts need to be 13 7/8 in to fit in the bed well.

Hope this helps, the John Deere Green paint is drying on mine right now.

Resident Bigfoot Expert
    They actually make some PVC clippers that look like hedge trimmers that you can get for 10 bucks or so at the home improvement store. The PVC size used for the rack is the largest size you can use with the clippers so it requires some oomph to use them, but I have to say, they sure beat using a hacksaw.

Another tip, measure the width required for your tires and possibly make the 3 slots different widths. I made one of mine just wide enough to fit the tires on my hardtail, one wider for the new EX8 and one is narrow for my road bike. It adds some utility.

All in all, you will be amazed how easily the thing goes together!

-GT

Members who have read this thread: 0