Finally bought a new car.- Mtbr.com
    Digital Toast

Finally bought a new car.

After looking thru Craigslist. Scouring cars.com and autotrader.com. Driving thru many dealer lots, driving many vehicles. This last Saturday as I was coming home from my son's cross country meet. I stopped by the somewhat local(75miles away) Mazda dealer. We drove thru the lot and they had a used Rav4 and a Highlander so I decided to stop and see what they were asking for them. I talked to a dealer about the Rav4 and the Highlander. Both were out of my price range for a used car. I started walking around the lot and there it was. A dark blue Mazda5 Touring. The sticker price in the window was 12,999. Down from 20,000. That was a huge drop so I looked further. It was pretty hail dented. Early in July a big storm rolled thru and caused extensive damage to all there cars. Some of the cars were fixed others just marked down. This one had a $7500 mark down and $500 off from Mazda for being a 2010. It had lots of room in the back, great gas mileage, roomy seating for four people, seating for six people if two of them are "small" people. I could already see the bike racks on the top, back and a nice mounting board inside. So I asked the dealer for the keys and took it for a drive. It had a 2.5 automatic and was pretty zoomy really. Handled really well. Took it back and parked it. Popped the rear hatch and folded down the seats. I saw that he had another Mazda5 on the lot, also hail dented but with a window sticker of $10,995. This was a metalic red Sport model. No sunroof and a five speed manual instead of the automatic. Other then that, just the same. So I took it out for a drive. Wow, what a difference the five speed made. From a somewhat zoomy to a really zoomy car. It was such fun to drive. Even thou it looks like a shrunken mini van it was just a blast to take around corners and pull away from stop signs. Brought it back to the dealership and told the salesman I really liked it. I filled out paper work for a loan thru Mazda. It was closing time and the finance people were all back east and wouldn't be in till Monday. I had to work Monday and wouldn't be able to pick it up till Tuesday. So for two days I debated, looked up accessories, looked up mods, read reviews, and waited. Even with my "just ok" credit I got the 2.9% financing and I opted for the extended warranty of 10years and 100,000 miles. I could have bought a used car, but for the price I got new. Bike rack parts are being ordered as we speak. Many pics to follow.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Did u get a new Mazda 5 then?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

ballbuster

Pics, or it didn't happen!

Heh... just kidding.

I rented a Mazda5 for a job. I was able to bring my bike and gear along with me, as well!

I really liked the Mazda5. I could totally own one. Loads of space, great handling for a mini-minivan, not slow, and good gas mileage.

My only real complaint would be that it is a bit plasticy on the inside, but that is more a nit to pick than a serious turn-off.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    If I'm going the zoom-zoom route...its CX9 or nothing.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

ballbuster

Sucks gas, tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah
    If I'm going the zoom-zoom route...its CX9 or nothing.
    ... and no manual... oh, and no off road capability, which is kind of the point of the CX9 isn't it? ... not that the Mazda5 can go off road. Well, I guess its a bigger wagon, but seats fewer people.

Digital Toast
    The manual and the price, over ruled the offroad need. I've got a 91 Chevy Suburban that I can take off road. I started thinking about the trailheads that I visit in Colorado and all of them can be easily traveled too in the 5. Heading to the mountains this weekend to try it out.

mtbr member
    Awesome, so you got yourself a Mazda 5, in the proper intended 5-speed manual?! Nice! Happy to know that the manual is great fun to drive! Enjoy your Mazda mini-minivan

ballbuster

Well, yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroack
    The manual and the price, over ruled the offroad need. I've got a 91 Chevy Suburban that I can take off road. I started thinking about the trailheads that I visit in Colorado and all of them can be easily traveled too in the 5. Heading to the mountains this weekend to try it out.

It can go off road enough. I was more bagging on the lack of off-road ability of a CX9, which is basically a lifted Nissan 350z in wagon-y form with awd. Fine for not getting stuck on snowy roads, but not enough to actually take anywhere that is really off road, with its lack of wheel travel, abs based traction control, and silly stiff suspension. Good street SUV, tho.

Heck, I've taken my VW GTi on logging roads with no problems... had to go super slow, tho... watch for rocks poking up... Probably about the same as your Mazda5.

*edit*

oh, I didn't see that its now a 7 seater. I thought it was a 5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Actually - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_platforms

Take a look at the C1 platform.

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    It can go off road enough. I was more bagging on the lack of off-road ability of a CX9, which is basically a lifted Nissan 350z in wagon-y form with awd. Fine for not getting stuck on snowy roads, but not enough to actually take anywhere that is really off road, with its lack of wheel travel, abs based traction control, and silly stiff suspension. Good street SUV, tho.

ballbuster

I stand corrected, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover
    Actually - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ford_platforms

Take a look at the C1 platform.
    The CX9 is a lifted Mazda6.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Actually it's called the CD3 platform, not C1. Sometimes I can't read

ballbuster

Interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover
    Actually it's called the CD3 platform, not C1. Sometimes I can't read

... that it shares the same platform as many Volvos. I didn't know they were related that closely.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    ... and no manual... oh, and no off road capability, which is kind of the point of the CX9 isn't it? ... not that the Mazda5 can go off road. Well, I guess its a bigger wagon, but seats fewer people.
    *off-road*
    *it's*

Members who have read this thread: 0