Fiat Panda anyone??- Mtbr.com
    "El Whatever"

Fiat Panda anyone??

Any idea on how reliable this car is??

I understand it has a very small engine and crappy power... I don't care, I prefer the potential fuel saving. I don't drive fast anyway.

Thanks for any insight... I know it's not a common car in North America, but any input is appreciated.
    Check my Site

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    The summation on Wikipedia is probably accurate:

"The car's popularity remained strong throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, despite build quality that was seen as poor quality by many buyers. Early cars also suffered from severe bodywork corrosion and rust, as with many contemporary Fiat vehicles of the era.

From 1996 onwards, the Panda began to be phased out across Europe, due to tightening safety legislation. The car remained in production in Italy until May 2003. About a year later, the new Panda was launched, with total production standing at over 4.5 million units over a 20 year period."
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bob
    The summation on Wikipedia is probably accurate:

"The car's popularity remained strong throughout the 1980s and early 1990s, despite build quality that was seen as poor quality by many buyers. Early cars also suffered from severe bodywork corrosion and rust, as with many contemporary Fiat vehicles of the era.

From 1996 onwards, the Panda began to be phased out across Europe, due to tightening safety legislation. The car remained in production in Italy until May 2003. About a year later, the new Panda was launched, with total production standing at over 4.5 million units over a 20 year period."
    I'm precisely asking for the new Panda... we didn't got the first one and Fiat just entered Mexico back in 2003 or so.
    Check my Site

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Any idea on how reliable this car is??

I understand it has a very small engine and crappy power... I don't care, I prefer the potential fuel saving. I don't drive fast anyway.

Thanks for any insight... I know it's not a common car in North America, but any input is appreciated.
    Can you get the subaru impreza 1.5L? It's a special version avaialble in Europe that doesn't make quite as much power as the regular 2.5 version sold domestically. That might be an interesting vehicle, relatively good fuel savings, veratile, AWD, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Occasional treat
    A friend just got rid of his 2 yo Panda, one of the shocks went after 18 tho miles. Fiat have a terrible rep for reliability around these parts.

"El Whatever"
    Jayem.... Thanks, but Subaru's are as easy to get as a green haired dog here in Mexico... and expensive. I really like the Outback and the Impreza.

Hollisimo... Thanks, man! Shocks have to be replaced anyway... But no one gets a reputation just because. I'll look somewhere else if I hear more negatives.
    Check my Site

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    I'm precisely asking for the new Panda... we didn't got the first one and Fiat just entered Mexico back in 2003 or so.
    New, old, I don't think it matters. A Fiat is a Fiat
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    My only experience was with Fiat Unos in Venezuela. They were pretty ok, not more troublesome than your average car. But Fiats in general were known for having electric issues. I'd say, with Fiat the simpler the better, the higher end versions -with more electric and electronics- were less reliable than the lower end ones. I think it was Tempras that were considered awful.

I'd go with Volkswagen if I were you. Do they sell the Fox in Mexico? The Corsa is another one that comes to mind in that segment.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    I'd go with Volkswagen if I were you. Do they sell the Fox in Mexico? The Corsa is another one that comes to mind in that segment.

Yeah... I'm just weighing other options.

I currently have a VW Golf MKII... beautiful, reliable car.

My wife has the eye on a Crossfox. I was thinking something similar with limited off-road characteristics... The Panda fits the bill... and there are not much other options.

The Ford Ecosport is more expensive. May stretch the budget way more.

The Corsa is very cool and affordable... actually, I like the Meriva (monovolume style body - I don't know if it's called that way outside Mexico) a bit more.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    FIAT - Fix It Again Tony!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    . actually, I like the Meriva (monovolume style body - I don't know if it's called that way outside Mexico) a bit more.
    Called monospace in some car mags, I think.
    Meriva has pretty neat integrated bike rack option but don't know if it's available there.

mtbr member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=***4DdXAp7Y

Panda 4x4 vs. Range Rover

Members who have read this thread: 0