Feedback between two racks I am considering- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Feedback between two racks I am considering

I just recently got my first bike in a long time. Picked up a used 2007 Rocky Mountain Switch 1.0 and I am looking for a hitch mounted bike rack. The criteria I used to narrow it down were: must work with a jeep Wrangler and clear the spare tire and allow for the back to open, platform style, 2" hitch mount and carry 2 and also expand to 4 bikes.

The two that I am debating between are:

1. Yakima Holdup Evo with +2 addon with the backswing mounting arm.
    2. Kuat NV2.0 with +2 addon with the pivot mounting arm.

I am hoping the community can help me decide which one will be best for me or if one is better than the other as I went to a shop today and saw both and neither jumped out as a clear winner and I don't have a enough expertise to break my tie on my own.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I had an 08 Wrangler unlimited and had issues finding a rack. The trick was getting something low enough to allow the gate to open and far enough back to have the bike clear the tire. The only thing that kind of worked was a Saris, but they don't make it anymore. I still ended up with an extension that also lowered the rack. I didn't want a swing arm because it would have been a pain to more the rack every time I needed to open the back.

The best I can suggest is find someplace that will let you try the racks on your Wrangler. Most REI stores will let you fit a hitch rack.

I've since sold the Wrangler and the Saris.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Moderator Moderator
    Check out the 1Up Racks.

psycho cyclo addict
    I've had a Kuat NV 2 for a long time and still consider it top pick if I were to get another both in terms of functionality/features and customer service.

1Up would probably be second choice though they are noisy when the wheel arms are moved (reminds me of fingernails scratching a chalk board) and prone to rub issues between two bikes (trays sit too close together).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have a 2015 Wrangler and got the Kuat NV 2.0 a couple years ago. I added a hitch extender to gain a little more clearance for the rear gate. But it only gives me just enough space to open the door enough to reach my storage tote that I keep right at the rear drivers side of the backend. Definitely canít get to most of the back end with this setup. I took the back seat out almost immediately after buying the Jeep so it would be nice to have full access to the back with the rack on. Have been considering a swingaway attachment because I think that would make for a perfect setup for my needs.

Overall I really like the NV (build quality and appearance are top notch) but have had a couple minor issues.

One time the lock piece on the hitch pin came off while driving back home from a ride. Iím pretty obsessive about checking that lock every time I put the rack on the Jeep. Fortunately the cam system kept the rack connected nice & tight.

Second issue was having one of the racks built-in cable locks come loose and drag along the highway for a bit. Pretty well destroyed the lock at the end of the cable. Again, any time I use those cable locks Iím very good about double checking to make sure theyíre connected correctly.

Not to say those couldnít have been one of the rare times I didnít double check everything before driving off though...

In both cases, Kuat responded to my inquiries very quickly and sent out replacement parts within a day or two. Definitely impressed with their customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got the Kuat NV 2.0 with addon. I swap between 2 and 4 bike configs for the cars we use it on. Our s,aller car can only handle a 2 bike platform, vs the suv which is 4. The ability to switch between the configs quickly is huge for me. The Kuat pretty well built and they thought out a lot of the little things in the design. The downside is that it is actually pretty heavy. And the rack pivot lever is pretty heavy to engage for the wifey, besides it being rather far to reach for her. If it were lighter she'd have an easier time dealing with the pivot cuz she can lift the platform to assist the pivot lever unlocking. But because its heavy and hard to actuate, yea I get the complaints! It's fine for me obviously but if I could change a thing or two...

aka bOb
    I have a 2014 Wrangler and ended up raising the spare tire with a bracket available from a few manufactures to help gain some clearance. I did run a drop extension for a bit but had a few issues offroading. I'm not sure if either rack you are interested in will have clearance issues but my guess would be yes and especially if you have a oversized spare.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Right now my jeep is stock, though I did have the colour changed from black to pink and did some interior accessories. I did look at the 1UP racks but they don't offer a swing option and I want something that does not restrict the back hatch as I often store things there. I did look at a simple extension or drop bracket but they still limited access to the cargo area.

I am going to call Kuat and Yakima on Monday to see what they recommend or if they know of any issues with the options I am looking at.

aka bOb
    I had a 2 inch drop and cleared a Rockymounts monorail with a 33" spare. Rockymounts also makes a rack that swings out and is very nice for the price. right now I am using a North Shore rack with no extensions or drop without any clearance issues.

Edit: A Thule t2 also fit with the drop without raising the spare tire.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feedback between two racks I am considering-20181102_150415.jpg  

Feedback between two racks I am considering-20180729_202338.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The website e-trailer has pretty good fit guides and rack installation videos for numerous vehicles. Maybe it could help you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have the Kuat NV 2.0 Base. Itís the same as the Ďfullí NV, but doesnít have the work stand and comes in black, only. You can add the work stand or Add On.

Iíve found the quality to be outstanding and customer service is tremendous. I thought the Kuat had less play in all of the mechanicals when I compared it with Yakima and Thule.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I have a 2014 Wrangler and ended up raising the spare tire with a bracket available from a few manufactures to help gain some clearance. I did run a drop extension for a bit but had a few issues offroading. I'm not sure if either rack you are interested in will have clearance issues but my guess would be yes and especially if you have a oversized spare.
    Bdundee...
    can you share some more info on the bracket you mentioned? I don't really off-road so a drop extension might work for me, but raising the spare tire a bit might not be a bad option for my situation.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkGX View Post
    Bdundee...
    can you share some more info on the bracket you mentioned? I don't really off-road so a drop extension might work for me, but raising the spare tire a bit might not be a bad option for my situation.
    Sure, I used this one https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-s...-extension-kit and it was super easy to install. It didn't raise the quite as high as some and it was a little more expensive but it also didn't move the tire out very far either. My tire is a little heavy and on the stock carrier I wanted to keep it as close as possible. This one raised it 1.5" but I believe some go up to 2" but like I said also move the tire out some. In my opinion even if one doesn't offroad if you can get buy using one of these adaptors it's a much cleaner look and about the same price just a little more work setting it up initially. It took me quite a bit of messing around to find the right setup to fit my needs but I really like my Jeep and wanted full access to the back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Feedback between two racks I am considering-5302946d5ae5de02fc022dcf.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    I have decided to go with the Kuat system, though I'll be waiting until the spring to purchase it unless there is a great deal found before that. Right now the bike is back from some repairs / maintance and seems how its -27c out right now the bike will be used on the trainer for a bit more yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You will be happy with the Kuat. Itís heavy because itís heavy duty. Recently one of my locks wouldnít engage after a long road trip of dirty, gritty driving, and Kuat promptly sent a replacement. You can buy parts on the Kuat website if you need them. I leave the work stand off since there is no way to lock it, and just ordered the legs for it to be able to use it in my garage, away from the car etc.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyAsheville View Post
    You will be happy with the Kuat. Itís heavy because itís heavy duty. Recently one of my locks wouldnít engage after a long road trip of dirty, gritty driving, and Kuat promptly sent a replacement. You can buy parts on the Kuat website if you need them. I leave the work stand off since there is no way to lock it, and just ordered the legs for it to be able to use it in my garage, away from the car etc.
    This ^^^
    Had my Kuat NV 2.0 (base model, so no work stand) for a couple years now and really like it. Yes, it's not exactly light, but it's still a very manageable weight for getting it off and on my Jeep. That's great because I don't like leaving it on to get all mucked up when I'm not hauling bikes.

Had a couple minor issues that Kuat handled very quickly and professionally so am also impressed with their customer service.

Overall just a very solidly built, easy to use hitch rack. Only other rack I've used was a Thule hanging style hitch rack. While it served it's purpose well enough, I'd give the Kuat a slight edge for my satisfaction level. I will say that I hear a lot of positive things said about the 1-Up racks as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    The Kuat NV2.0 with the Pivot is a sweet set up! Also, using the Pivot should extend the rack away from your Jeep so there is not interference with your spare tire. If you check out Rack Attack's website (rackattack.com) they should have some specials or at least price match and have many locations in both the US and Canada!