Fat-tire bikes are a tight fit inside the 2010 Lexus RX- Mtbr.com
    another day at the office

Fat-tire bikes are a tight fit inside the 2010 Lexus RX

If I was serious about reducing my carbon footprint, I would be riding my bike instead of trying to stuff it inside the Lexus RX 450h hybrid.

80 cubic feet of cargo space and the roof line is too low to fit any bikes upright, except my niece's Hello Kitty bike. Sheesh! Roof rack or trailer hitch are options but what a PIA!

For the curiosity seekers, click the photo below or here to read my review of the 2010 RX 450h.

Some pain is physical and some is mental, but one that's both is dental.

mtbr member

Maybe....

...you could lay it down?

Rock

Elitest thrill junkie
    Even when you can fit a bike inside, it's usually a bad idea unless you've got something like the Element with it's rubberized floor/interior. You're going to destroy the interior of that RX if you put bikes inside of it, which kind of calls into question why anyone bought an RX in the first place (if they're just going to put their bikes inside of it). This should NOT be a reason to not buy the vehicle.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

code: mtbr2011
    personally, i hate taking my seat off...in fact i haven't moved my seatpost in at least 5 years, and i'm afraid if i do, the bolt holding the collar down would snap.
    the other thing, no matter how clean you keep your drivetrain, you're going to get that some grease on the leather, which could probably be cleaned, but getting it on the cloth or carpets will never come out without a professional detail.
    go for the roof rack!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    ...you could lay it down?

Rock
    Yeah, like "Hello!!"

But then i guess there'd be no reason to post a pic of the new ride lol

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Oh.....

...and nice Ride. Sorry I didn't mention that before. A guy I work with has the previous gen 330H. I love the hybrid thing.

Get a hitch rack, roof racks, in my opinion, are a pain to deal with, and will kill your gas mileage.

Rock

what...?
    I have a 09 RX and I throw one of the non-fitted sheets that come in all sheet/pillowcase sets, over the back and just lay the bike down. Everything stays clean - even my camel interior.
    just gotta watch what you're doing!
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

mtbr member
    uh.. why would u stand it up like that in your RX luxury vehicle with NO rubber trunk tray and something to cover the back carpet of your seats. you like mud, roadkill, crap on them?

get a hitch rack or lay it down on its side with a trunk mat
    RH SL Pro

Quote Originally Posted by 2_WD
    Yeah, like "Hello!!"

But then i guess there'd be no reason to post a pic of the new ride lol
    Close. The "new" ride actually belongs to Toyota. It was loaned to me for a week of testing. A common question in this forum is "can my bike fit inside?" and I keep that in mind with each vehicle that is tested.

Laying the bike down in the cargo area of the RX isn't the real exercise because I can do that with an Outback or sedan with folding rear seats. I also wanted to show how little utility the RX 450h offers for a crossover-utility vehicle.

No my car

Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    uh.. why would u stand it up like that in your RX luxury vehicle with NO rubber trunk tray and something to cover the back carpet of your seats. you like mud, roadkill, crap on them?

get a hitch rack or lay it down on its side with a trunk mat
    As explained above, the RX is only a loaner. The photograph was taken to demonstrate how a mtn bike fits in the back when positioned upright. Hitch rack, roof mount, or laying the bike inside are all viable solutions, but that wasn't the real question.

code: mtbr2011
    that bike looks really clean....like brand new clean.

mtbr demo bike

Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com
    that bike looks really clean....like brand new clean.
    The Rocky Mountain was a demo bike on loan to the mtbr crew for testing. It was cleaned up and made to look pretty for its photos that will go with the review.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock
    ...and nice Ride. Sorry I didn't mention that before. A guy I work with has the previous gen 330H. I love the hybrid thing.

Get a hitch rack, roof racks, in my opinion, are a pain to deal with, and will kill your gas mileage.

Rock
    Until you have to replace the batteries.....

J.

Strange, no battery replacement stories

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80
    Until you have to replace the batteries.....

J.
    I haven't heard of any Prius owners replacing their batteries, yet. Aren't those batteries built to last the lifetime of the car?

If I understand the technology correct, the system that regulates the charging and discharging of the NiMH batteries never let the batteries fully charge or or fully discharge - both of which can shorten the life of the battery.

Because I cover the auto industry, there are recycling plans being put together for the thousands and thousands of batteries that will eventually be put into service in hybrid and EV cars. The batteries still have life after being used for automotive purposes and can be reused for other applications. At the point where the battery is totally useless, there will be recycling plants to recover the heavy metals. That is the plan. Implementation is another animal altogether.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bustamove
    I haven't heard of any Prius owners replacing their batteries, yet. Aren't those batteries built to last the lifetime of the car?

If I understand the technology correct, the system that regulates the charging and discharging of the NiMH batteries never let the batteries fully charge or or fully discharge - both of which can shorten the life of the battery.

Because I cover the auto industry, there are recycling plans being put together for the thousands and thousands of batteries that will eventually be put into service in hybrid and EV cars. The batteries still have life after being used for automotive purposes and can be reused for other applications. At the point where the battery is totally useless, there will be recycling plants to recover the heavy metals. That is the plan. Implementation is another animal altogether.
    Nope.

NiMH has a lifetime on it too. It dies from recharging cycles and from old age.

IIRC, the battery pack is something like $3000 or so. Certainly you would get some of that back on recycling (small bit). But just the parts cost on that is like replacing a transmission.

J.

Nope.

IIRC, the battery pack is something like $3000 or so. Certainly you would get some of that back on recycling (small bit). But just the parts cost on that is like replacing a transmission.

J.
    I never intended to suggest that the batteries have an indefinite lifespan. Just that when the time comes to replace the batteries, it will be pretty far down the road.

The $3000 replacement cost is the same number I've been hearing, also.

mtbr member
    Nope.

J.
    but you're aware that nobody ever needs to replace the battery right? its made to last the lifetime of a vehicle. i know i've never hearf of a prius owner needing to replace battery
    RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's because they haven't been around that long - what is this model year 3 or 4 (or whatever)? Let's presume that it is 8-10 years out (which is the rated lifetime of the battery from the reading I've done)- there are a LOT of people that keep their cars that long, especially those that drive the "average" of 12K per year. That wouldn't even be 100K miles at the low end, and you'd be looking at a cost similar to replacing the transmission.

If you believe that a NiMH battery doesn't lose capacity over time or die from old age, then I've got some oceanfront property in NV I'd like to sell you...

J

Members who have read this thread: 0