F-150 Tire-on / Tail Gate Closed Bike Rack (homemade)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

F-150 Tire-on / Tail Gate Closed Bike Rack (homemade)

I made this up yesterday....Its just a single position rack but it allows me to keep the front wheel on and close the tailgate on my shortbed F-150.....I mounted it to one of the bed mount bolts.....works perfect!......

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Looks nice

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    do you throw a racket or anything over the top? it looks pretty secure but i was wondering about highway speeds

nice work though

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SRock24 View Post
    do you throw a racket or anything over the top? it looks pretty secure but i was wondering about highway speeds

nice work though
    No...it works perfect as is.....I was on the freeway today for 30 miles at 75+....over speed bumps and gnarley terrain and the bike never moved.....

RM

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have the same truck and was thinking of doing almost the same thing using the bed bolts in the bed. What are the dimensions of lengths of pipe that you used? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwise3 View Post
    I have the same truck and was thinking of doing almost the same thing using the bed bolts in the bed. What are the dimensions of lengths of pipe that you used? Thanks
    Well, I built this for my 29er.....the sides are 18" long pipe....the bottom is like 4.5".....I then used a separate plate welded to the bottom that fits in the bed channel so that it mounts flat and will not spin.....If I had to do it again...I would probably just build one out of sq. tube.....as it is a lot easier to work with.....

RM

bi-winning
    It does not get much easier than that.

Here is a similar design that you can buy...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YPheWxPi8jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only problem with this style of rack is that they are more or less wheel size specific.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    It does not get much easier than that.

Here is a similar design that you can buy...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YPheWxPi8jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The only problem with this style of rack is that they are more or less wheel size specific.

Yea, that's where I got the idea....only problem with that setup is that you cannot close the tailgate on shortbed pickups.....

RM

Members who have read this thread: 1